Off topic: If you’re on Windows, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Down.
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2015

Ha ha ha.

Now press Ctrl+Alt+Up. Phew.

Also good for a laugh: Ctrl+Alt+Left & Ctrl+Alt+Right

Michael

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:44
English to Italian
+ ...
hahahahaha Jun 12, 2015

Very funny, I already know how to use it (translation: scare the hell out of people)!
Try also Ctrl+ Alt+ down arrow lol

[Edited at 2015-06-12 13:56 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
It's not universal Jun 12, 2015

It's not a feature of Windows proper, but rather of Intel and some Nvidia display drivers. It can be disabled from the corresponding control panel, too.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
??? Jun 12, 2015

I've just done it (on W7) and nothing seems to happen... but now I'm worried. What was it supposed to do?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't worry, … Jun 12, 2015

neilmac wrote:

I've just done it (on W7) and nothing seems to happen... but now I'm worried. What was it supposed to do?

… it was merely meant to turn your entire screen upside down, or on its side. However, as Anton pointed out, it isn't universal, so won't work on all computers.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
The buttons, they do nothing! Jun 12, 2015

Nothing happened. I wanted to see my screen upside down, just for giggles.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
It happens to me all the time Jun 12, 2015

It resembles a key combination in Studio, so it happens to me occasionally. Anton, I am so glad to find it can be disabled. I will do that know. Who might need this feature, I wonder?

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that's the main reason for this post. Jun 12, 2015

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

It resembles a key combination in Studio, so it happens to me occasionally. Anton, I am so glad to find it can be disabled. I will do that know. Who might need this feature, I wonder?

Yes, that's the main reason for this post. It has been happening to me way too often over the last two or three years, and I have finally decided to put an end to it. That is, to figure out which shortcut I am inadvertently triggering and disable it if possible.

I usually go to my screen settings and switch it back, via:

Desktop > right-click > Screen resolution > Orientation > switch back to "Landscape"

Hopefully I will be able to find out where to switch it off permanently. I’m on Windows 7 64-bit.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
WF Jun 12, 2015

neilmac wrote:

Neil, I believe you use WordFast and probably have this combination turned off as it clashes with the "Insert Placeable" function.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Disabling Jun 12, 2015

How to disable it: if you have an Intel graphics adapter, open the Intel HD Graphics control panel (not the Display one!). Navigate to Options and uncheck the option enabling the hotkeys. Something similar should be available for Nvidia, but I am not sure where exactly it is.

Answering Anna's rhetorical question as to who might need it, it may actually be quite useful for translation and other work with text: some monitors can be easily pivoted into a portrait orientation, and using
... See more
How to disable it: if you have an Intel graphics adapter, open the Intel HD Graphics control panel (not the Display one!). Navigate to Options and uncheck the option enabling the hotkeys. Something similar should be available for Nvidia, but I am not sure where exactly it is.

Answering Anna's rhetorical question as to who might need it, it may actually be quite useful for translation and other work with text: some monitors can be easily pivoted into a portrait orientation, and using this option to turn the display image 90° would give you a full page of text on the screen!
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Anton! Jun 12, 2015

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Answering Anna's rhetorical question as to who might need it, it may actually be quite useful for translation and other work with text: some monitors can be easily pivoted into a portrait orientation, and using this option to turn the display image 90° would give you a full page of text on the screen!

Disabled it!

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
We did this all the time in the Universitylibrary... Jun 12, 2015

When I was still studying (quite recently), if you quickly went to get a book/went to the toilet/went to the printer area in our Universitylibrary, you could definitely expect your computer to be like this after you returned.

We especially loved to do this to first years during exams, or to third or fourth years when the paperdeadlines came closer.
Yes we were/are a bit cruel sometimes.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:44
English to French
+ ...
A (real) cat thing... Jun 13, 2015

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Who might need this feature, I wonder?

The only time I had to search for it was when a client called me saying that her cat had stepped on the keyboard...!!! But then, I found the "portrait" setting usefull to check long tables without having to go up and down.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A little knowledge... Jun 13, 2015

Andy Watkinson wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Neil, I believe you use WordFast and probably have this combination turned off as it clashes with the "Insert Placeable" function.

LOL - some day I might get round to using that "Insert Placeable" function. I've never managed to get to get it to work. Or the glossary function. But it won't be today...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you’re on Windows, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Down.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »