Thread poster: Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 21:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2015

I've just received a file from a teacher at the music school my eleven-year-old son attends. It contains the "pronunciation" for the English words to the songs they are going to sing in a concert in a couple of weeks.

I invite you have a bit of fun: read the words below to see if you can identify the songs. The transcription is roughly speaking phonetic, but bear in mind that for the Spanish, a "j" means an aspirated "h" sound, so the English word "he" gets transcribed as "ji".
... See more
I've just received a file from a teacher at the music school my eleven-year-old son attends. It contains the "pronunciation" for the English words to the songs they are going to sing in a concert in a couple of weeks.

I invite you have a bit of fun: read the words below to see if you can identify the songs. The transcription is roughly speaking phonetic, but bear in mind that for the Spanish, a "j" means an aspirated "h" sound, so the English word "he" gets transcribed as "ji".

I'll put the answers up in a couple of days - resist the temptation to let the cat out of the bag until then please!

1. Iu (YU) candens, iu canjif, jáaif, javin de taim of yor laif ooh si dad guerl güotch dadsiin diguin de dansin cuin. Yu ar de dansin cuin yungan suit only seventin.

Dansin cuin fil de bit from de tembur´in

Iu candens…

2. Yas guan lukanaicanjerabelrin

Guanmor lukanaiforguedevricin oh oh Mamma mia jira i go eguein mai mai jau can ai resist iu Mamma mia dasit sauw eguein mai mai yast jau mach aif misd iu. Yes aif bin brouken jared blu sins de dei güi pared guai guai did ai eferlet-iu goo

Mmamma mia nau ai rily noou mai mai ai cud “nefva” let iu goo

3. Der guas somcin in de eir dad naigt de stars güer braigt Fernando

Dei güer sainin dear for iu an mi for li berty Fernando doug güi neve zough dad güicud lus ders nou rigreet, if ai jad tu du de seim eguein ai gud maifrend Fernando…x2

4. De güiner teiks it ol, de luser jas tu fol its simpol and its pein guai sud ai complein….x2

5. Last crismas ai geiv iu mai ha(e)rt bat de very next dei iu geiv it egüei. Dis year tu seiv mi from tiars Ail giv it tu sam guanspesial

6. Bicous aiv jad de taim of mai laif no aiv nefa(e)r felt dis guei bifor Yes ai suear its de tru And ai oug it ol tu iu

7. Güederyourarbroder o güederyurarmoder, yur steyinalaif steyinalaif

Fildesitibrikin anevribady seikin an güer steyinalaif steyinalaif…Ah, ah….

8. Its fan tustey at de guay am si ei….x2

Dei jav evricin dad iu nid tuenyoy. Iy canjangaut güiz ol de bois (en negrita sería un cambio de letra, yo creo que mejor)

9. Missell ma bel, diis ar guords dad gou tugueder güel, mai Missel

Ai güil sei deonli guords ai nouw dad iul andersten mai Missel

Sis gad a tiket turaaid….x3 ….an si don’t queer

10. Guai si, jad tu gou ai don nouw si gudent sei Ai seid soomcin gruong nauw ai long for iesterde-e-e-ei. Iesterdei lof guas sach anisi geim tu plei . Nau ai niid a pleis tu haid eguei oh ai biliif in iesterdei mmmmmmmm

11.…laif gous on bra la la hao de laif gous on
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Mamma mia kind of gives it away... Nov 25, 2015

Letizia S.
Letizia S.
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
So funny! Nov 25, 2015

SO FUNNY!

Thanks for sharing...
I think I guessed at least 8 or 9 songs...

When I started studying french I used to write the sound of the words the teacher was saying: the funniest was "qu'est-ce que c'est?": my book was full of "keskesé" written everywhere

I think it can be useful to learn, if the student is able to link the sound to the written word.

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Jajaja Nov 25, 2015

Very nice. That reminds me of the great classics of Spanglish music, such as Raphael's rendition of Aquarius ("Güen mun isindeseven jaus an chupiter alains güit mars tenpis güligait de planes anlaf güistirdestars") or El Príncipe Gitano's version of Elvis Presley's In the Ghetto (with my favourite lines posdenifi guan sidosidi nim and, of course, güedegüelten).

Well worth looking them up on YouTube if you don't know them.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good for a laugh Nov 25, 2015

However, as a former EFL trainer, I'd take issue with this teaching approach. Why not use the proper lyrics in English? IMHO all they are going to learn is how to phoneticize English words.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
LOL Nov 25, 2015

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Very nice. That reminds me of the great classics of Spanglish music, such as Raphael's rendition of Aquarius ("Güen mun isindeseven jaus an chupiter alains güit mars tenpis güligait de planes anlaf güistirdestars") or El Príncipe Gitano's version of Elvis Presley's In the Ghetto (with my favourite lines posdenifi guan sidosidi nim and, of course, güedegüelten).

Well worth looking them up on YouTube if you don't know them.

"Un chinito pescando"(Hotel California) is my favourite...

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Was tempted to try and correct them... Nov 25, 2015

neilmac wrote:

However, as a former EFL trainer, I'd take issue with this teaching approach. Why not use the proper lyrics in English? IMHO all they are going to learn is how to phoneticize English words.

But for various reasons I've decided to keep my head down.

These include: not embarrassing the poor soul who spent a long time producing the transciption, and not embarrassing the hell out of my children by wading in.

Mothers should keep their mouths shut according to my two! And I know that I make them suffer and squirm on occasion.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Was a little stumped Nov 25, 2015

by no 8 but got there in the end. I'd love to hear the concert, it sounds like a lot of fun

Our children's choir did something similar for 8 year olds and the results were actually very good.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Hard to understand for a Dutchman Nov 25, 2015

But "Ai kess it kot somting swiedish" (now it is your turn).

(Phonetic Dutch for: I guess it got something Swedish).

[Edited at 2015-11-25 22:06 GMT]

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
This sort of post should be banned Nov 26, 2015

Noni,

I don't think you realise how much time I've wasted today succumbing to fits of laughter when obssesively returning to this post time and time again.

I have been unable to concentrate properly.

I haven't "tasted two whole worms" but I've been set back a good three hours.

I am experiencing abdominal pain.

My best client is getting worried.

And ai oug it ol tu iu!!!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mai sinserist apoloyis Nov 26, 2015

Andi: aiyam sousori tu jav ruindyorcarir. nau yuar animploid perjaps ju wil wontocam toze consert.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not rocking the boat Nov 26, 2015

Noni Gilbert wrote:

neilmac wrote:

But for various reasons I've decided to keep my head down.

These include: not embarrassing the poor soul who spent a long time producing the transciption, and not embarrassing the hell out of my children by wading in.

Mothers should keep their mouths shut according to my two! And I know that I make them suffer and squirm on occasion.

Oh well, I suppose the poor kids will end up like Laurel and Hardy, when they read out their lines in Spanish phonetically, without understanding the language. Heigh ho...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I've only read two words Nov 26, 2015

Noni Gilbert wrote:
1. Iu (YU) candens

I'm already laughing

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
Speaking as a choral conductor Nov 27, 2015

I would find my son a new school, pronto.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The consequence Nov 27, 2015

Ay gues diss metod iss gwot lids spanich spiking pipal to jev zet akcent in inglich laik Stanley Tucci dass in dizi sins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwBv2ZSJc5w

Possibilities are entless.

Aye getty a keekee off riting eescripts likee dis for an Emarican to reed andy faykee a Brezilian accentchee. Day offan soundgee preettee convincinghee in doowing itchee.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concert

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »