How to localize numbers, currency, mathematical operators, etc.
Thread poster: RhondaSherwood
Jun 15, 2015

Hi,

I regularly translate math high school textbooks from Canadian French to Canadian English, and I have been unable to figure out how to localize numbers, currency, certain mathematical operators, etc.

Surely Trados allows for this?

One particularly irritating issue is that Trados changes the subtraction symbol (–) to a short dash (-), which I don't always catch during translation.

Can someone point me in the correct direction?

... See more
Hi,

I regularly translate math high school textbooks from Canadian French to Canadian English, and I have been unable to figure out how to localize numbers, currency, certain mathematical operators, etc.

Surely Trados allows for this?

One particularly irritating issue is that Trados changes the subtraction symbol (–) to a short dash (-), which I don't always catch during translation.

Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks,
Rhonda

[Edited at 2015-06-15 15:48 GMT]
Collapse

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
automatic en dash to dash Jun 16, 2015

It's the most irritating "feature" in Trados products. It still exists in Studio 2014 (since at least Tageditor 2006) and I have no clue how to fix it besides locking segments with "minus" or "to" symbols. So I'd appreciate any tips also.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to localize numbers, currency, mathematical operators, etc.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »