Jessicaver (X)
Jessicaver (X)
France
Local time: 20:08
English to French
+ ...
Jun 18, 2015

Hi,

I would like to know how numerical data are localized in French as I noticed several versions.

For example: 10,000 km or $ 15,000 (English) would be localized as 10 000 km with the regular conventions as 10 000 km and 15 000 $ (French) ?

Thank you!

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:08
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Numerical Conventions, EN - TR Jun 20, 2015

It is very unfortunate that there are no universally accepted conventions about writing numerical data. This is a big issue when you try to translate between US English and Turkish, for example.

US English Convention:
10,000.0 km
$ 15,000.00

Turkish Convention:
10.000,0 km
15.000,00 $

I sincerely think that the above differences may lead to safety issues between countries. Personally, I prefer to stick with the US Eng
... See more
It is very unfortunate that there are no universally accepted conventions about writing numerical data. This is a big issue when you try to translate between US English and Turkish, for example.

US English Convention:
10,000.0 km
$ 15,000.00

Turkish Convention:
10.000,0 km
15.000,00 $

I sincerely think that the above differences may lead to safety issues between countries. Personally, I prefer to stick with the US English convention in my translations because doing it otherwise might be confusing for most people.
Collapse

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:08
English to French
Format nombres... Jun 21, 2015

Vers la fin de la page http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/redac-chap?lang=fra&lettr=chapsect2&info0=2

(Également valable pour le français de France)

D'autre part on utilise en général les codes devises iso, donc USD, pas $, sauf si c'est la même devise partout et qu'il n'y a pas d'ambiguité (USD? CAD?)

Jessicaver (X)
Jessicaver (X)
France
Local time: 20:08
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 21, 2015

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localizing numerical data

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »