Thread poster: Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 09:01
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sep 18, 2014

Among muggles, Google Translate proves to be very popular. As recent Lifehacker poll shows, Google's machine-translation service received almost 45 percent out of more than 2,000 votes.
Came in not-so-close second is human translator, at 40 percent. Personally, I don't know whether to be happy, as m
... See more
Among muggles, Google Translate proves to be very popular. As recent Lifehacker poll shows, Google's machine-translation service received almost 45 percent out of more than 2,000 votes.
Came in not-so-close second is human translator, at 40 percent. Personally, I don't know whether to be happy, as many people still perceive translator as the best translation reference, or not, as the result can also be interpreted that translator is merely regarded a tool.
Collapse

Mark
Mark
Local time: 03:01
Italian to English
Misreading? Sep 18, 2014

The article seems to say that a human translator is much better than all tools. I'm not quite sure were your interpretation came from.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now Google has created a "translate community" to improve GT Sep 18, 2014

Google Announces the Creation of a Translate Community

http://www.transpanish.biz/translation_blog/

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig!

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No misreading Sep 19, 2014

Mark Dobson wrote:

The article seems to say that a human translator is much better than all tools. I'm not quite sure were your interpretation came from.

You're right, I did state that human translator is regarded as the best translation reference.

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Buying my own translation *joke* Sep 19, 2014

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales wrote:

Google Announces the Creation of a Translate Community

http://www.transpanish.biz/translation_blog/

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig!

Since Google is selling access to Google Translate API, does it mean that I will be buying my own translation when I contribute to its Translate Community?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate tops language translation tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »