Alignment (DE>EN) in LiveDocs putting more than one sentence in each segment, sometimes up to 10
Thread poster: Laura Cannon (X)
Laura Cannon (X)
Laura Cannon (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:53
French to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2017

Dear all,

I'm a new user of MemoQ (but very familiar with Studio and DVX2).

I’m preparing the alignment of a hefty annual report and have come across a problem with segmentation. The alignment in LiveDocs started off with around 17k segments, and the first few segments were fine and easy to align. I then came across some tables that were misaligned, so I corrected the first few items using synchro/cross links and then re-ran the alignment (run aligner) for the rest
... See more
Dear all,

I'm a new user of MemoQ (but very familiar with Studio and DVX2).

I’m preparing the alignment of a hefty annual report and have come across a problem with segmentation. The alignment in LiveDocs started off with around 17k segments, and the first few segments were fine and easy to align. I then came across some tables that were misaligned, so I corrected the first few items using synchro/cross links and then re-ran the alignment (run aligner) for the rest of the document – this corrected the incorrect table entries, but seems to have re-segmented subsequent segments by merging quite a lot of sentences into single segments, so that my number of segments has now reduced from 17k to 15k and they are completely misaligned. It now looks like a massive job to correct them.

I see that the segmentation rule for German is fixed and is set to segment where there is a full stop, so I’m not sure that this should have happened. Does anyone know if there is any way that I can fix this or have I been following an incorrect process?

Thanks very much in advance!

Laura

[Edited at 2017-01-04 16:13 GMT]
Collapse

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 22:53
Russian to English
+ ...
Switch to TXT format Jan 5, 2017

I’m preparing the alignment of a hefty annual report

In what format(s) are the documents that you align? Word, Excel, …?

Whatever the format is, try to resave them (the report and translation) in simple TXT. It helped me several times in LiveDocs.

Good luck.

Laura Cannon (X)
Laura Cannon (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:53
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help Jan 9, 2017

Thanks for your comment.

In the end I managed to fix the issue by cloning the segmentation rules for EN and DE and setting them to ignore colons, as well as repairing the source Word documents (and Word found a lot of table issues!). I've now been able to re-run the alignment and the result looks a lot better with only minor alterations necessary.

Best wishes,

Laura

Nicolas Bianchi
Nicolas Bianchi  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 20:53
English to French
+ ...
Segmentation rules not (always) applied... Aug 15, 2017

Hi Laura.
Am happy you solved your problem.

However, I’m curious to know if mQ applies the individual segmentation rules when aligning in LiveDocs.

I aligned many documents DE>FR, but although my adapted segmentation rules for DE state that 1./2./3./4. Quartal/Semester/Halbjahr etc. should not be split, mQ splits them constantly... This is quite annoying...

As you were working on an annual report, you might have encountered the same issues.
... See more
Hi Laura.
Am happy you solved your problem.

However, I’m curious to know if mQ applies the individual segmentation rules when aligning in LiveDocs.

I aligned many documents DE>FR, but although my adapted segmentation rules for DE state that 1./2./3./4. Quartal/Semester/Halbjahr etc. should not be split, mQ splits them constantly... This is quite annoying...

As you were working on an annual report, you might have encountered the same issues.

Cheers
Nicolas
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alignment (DE>EN) in LiveDocs putting more than one sentence in each segment, sometimes up to 10

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »