Poisson rouge
Poisson rouge
Germany
Local time: 22:02
German to French
+ ...
Jul 13, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I am translating a looooong contract and am faced with yet another unpleasant surpise. I received the file from my customer, who passed it on from a lawyer, so I cannot find out from the person who originally created the document what to do so here goes:

There is what I thought was a watermark ("Draft"), but when I go to change the watermark, there seems to be no watermark and I can create a new watermark saying "Draft" but the orginal one in the other
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am translating a looooong contract and am faced with yet another unpleasant surpise. I received the file from my customer, who passed it on from a lawyer, so I cannot find out from the person who originally created the document what to do so here goes:

There is what I thought was a watermark ("Draft"), but when I go to change the watermark, there seems to be no watermark and I can create a new watermark saying "Draft" but the orginal one in the other language is still visible. This means... it's not a watermark! But what is it?! I've tried searching for the word for draft, hoping to access the right place to edit it, but no luck. Any ideas regarding what to do?

Best wishes

Fiona
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
It sounds like... Jul 13, 2016

... you're trying to reproduce the exact appearance of the original document. Unless the client has asked you to do this, it's not worth the effort. You could just put DRAFT in the page header.

Poisson rouge
Poisson rouge
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certified translation Jul 14, 2016

Unfortunately, I am required to do so as it's a certified translation

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Things to try... Jul 14, 2016

First of all, have you checked it's not a drawing element? Go into draw mode, and using the 'select' tool, see if you can fish it out; if so, you can just delete it. Also, you could try under the 'Tools' > 'Options' menu selecting / unselecting the option to show 'drawings', and see if that makes it visible or not? That will not actually remove it from your document, just hide it from YOUR view! But it will just tell you if it is some kind of graphic element.

also, you could try an
... See more
First of all, have you checked it's not a drawing element? Go into draw mode, and using the 'select' tool, see if you can fish it out; if so, you can just delete it. Also, you could try under the 'Tools' > 'Options' menu selecting / unselecting the option to show 'drawings', and see if that makes it visible or not? That will not actually remove it from your document, just hide it from YOUR view! But it will just tell you if it is some kind of graphic element.

also, you could try an experiment: in a fresh blank document, try copying and pasting the text from one page from your document, and see if it copies across or not; if it doesn't, then you could just 'select all' the text in your document and copy it into a fresh document that you have prepared ready. If it DOES copy across, then it must be some kind of graphic element.

Another experiment: in an experiemntal copy of your document, try on one page doing the opposite — delete all the text on a whole page, and see if the unwanted 'watermark' is still visible or not; with the text deleted, you may be able to actully get hold of it and find out what it is.
Collapse

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:02
Romanian to English
+ ...
Are you sure you have to recreate formatting? Jul 14, 2016

I'm not familiar with the rules of certified translation that apply to you, but where I live, certified translators are not required to completely recreate the formatting. We do have to translate everything that's on the page, but anything special other than normal text, such as stamps, needs to be mentioned using brackets. In your case, like this: [watermark with the text: Draft]

Dulz (X)
Dulz (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
don't recreate the whole formatting!* Jul 15, 2016

Annamaria Amik wrote:

We do have to translate everything that's on the page, but anything special other than normal text, such as stamps, needs to be mentioned using brackets. In your case, like this: [watermark with the text: Draft]

That's exactly what you have to do according to the German rules of certified translations, too. It wouldn't even be allowed to use graphic elements such as copies of stamps, signatures or watermarks etc. in the translation that appear in the original.

[Edited at 2016-07-15 06:08 GMT]

*recreate the formatting but not to the point of copying graphic elements

[Edited at 2016-07-15 06:31 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
@ Annamaria / difference: Misunderstanding? Jul 15, 2016

I think you may be misunderstanding Poissonrouge's original post — as far as I can tell, she is seeking primarily to REMOVE the apparent 'watermark' from the original document, which is interfering with her translation.

Dulz (X)
Dulz (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
@Tony M Jul 15, 2016

Maybe, but I was referring to these comments:

philgoddard wrote:

... you're trying to reproduce the exact appearance of the original document. Unless the client has asked you to do this, it's not worth the effort. You could just put DRAFT in the page header.

Poisson rouge wrote:

Unfortunately, I am required to do so as it's a certified translation

If Poisson rouge only wants to remove the watermark, the experiment you have described would apply:

also, you could try an experiment: in a fresh blank document, try copying and pasting the text from one page from your document, and see if it copies across or not; if it doesn't, then you could just 'select all' the text in your document and copy it into a fresh document that you have prepared ready.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could be a textbook, or in footer Jul 17, 2016

You might be able to grab it if you Select Objects. Or if your text is in a textbook, drag the textbook containing the text to see if Draft is under there and removable.

Another thing I recently discovered (a way our graphics dept. sends us graphic background and we add text to it in Word) is: the graphics might all be in the footer, even though it appears dim as background for the actual text. Go to the footer and see if it appears there. I suppose it could be in the header, too
... See more
You might be able to grab it if you Select Objects. Or if your text is in a textbook, drag the textbook containing the text to see if Draft is under there and removable.

Another thing I recently discovered (a way our graphics dept. sends us graphic background and we add text to it in Word) is: the graphics might all be in the footer, even though it appears dim as background for the actual text. Go to the footer and see if it appears there. I suppose it could be in the header, too.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Background text but not watermark

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »