Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you tend to wake up earlier when you've got ongoing work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jun 17, 2020

Sleep is for wimps

Muriel Vasconcellos

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:22
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, I think I need to sleep on the matter... Jun 17, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Do you tend to wake up earlier when you've got ongoing work?

This question is so interesting that I'm going to take the rest of the week off to think about it and weigh up its implications.

So after a sleep, I can attack this hard question freshly.
Regardless of whether I have an ongoing task or not, I think the answer is too obvious, at least for me.
I tend to follow the old saying: “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise”... this lately... I am trying to cope with my insomnia.

[Edited at 2020-06-17 13:51 GMT]

Édith Koumtoudji
Édith Koumtoudji  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 11:22
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
Yes Jun 17, 2020

I usually wake up early but when I have ongoing work, I tend to sleep less.

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:22
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always Jun 17, 2020

I wake up early every day, but when I have to work on a deadline, I wake up early and work on the weekends, all to deliver the client work on time.

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jun 17, 2020

I wake up early every day. I wake up the same time every day reagrdless of having an ongoing project or not.

Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another night owl Jun 18, 2020

I work best after things quiet down. I rarely get short jobs. With long jobs, I set myself a daily quota (having calculated how much time they will take when I accept them). Once I meet my quota, I have the choice of making a little more progress on the job, doing something else, or going to bed earlier.

Mario Freitas
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
One more night owl here Jun 18, 2020

I like to work late at night. Waking up earlier has proven not to cause any positive effects in my job and in my life. It's quite the opposite, actually.
What is really important is to sleep as many hours as you need. It doesn't really matter when they start and end. So, if waking up earlier means sleeping less, it's actually something pretty negative to you.

[Edited at 2020-06-18 04:26 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Croatian to English
+ ...
7 am wake up call Jun 18, 2020

I love living in Middle Europe! When I wake up I do stretches and meditation and there are messages from my Far Eastern clients. Then around midday, the Europeans start to make their presence known. Finally, at 5 pm, the Americans join in. These are very predictable waves and I prefer to be up so I can accommodate my people. There are exceptions (I’ve stayed up super late or gotten up Uber early for big hairy deadlines) but this rhythm suits me well. After 23:00 the phone is on airplane mode!

Qodam U.
Qodam U.
Indonesia
Local time: 16:22
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sometimes, hi I'm new here Jun 19, 2020

I enjoy night time. Mostly rest when I got really tired. Morning walk for ideas, rest a little and get a long run over stuff.
Not always, sometimes ^^

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you tend to wake up earlier when you've got ongoing work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »