Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you observe your local holidays?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:25
English to French
Title Jul 4, 2020

Mario Freitas wrote:

Local holidays? If the question were about universal holidays, like Christmas and Easter, I might have considered a "sometimes" as an answer. But local holidays of course do not apply when 85% of my clients are in other countries. I will obviously not refuse a job received in a holiday (or the day before) when it's not a holiday in the client's country, and I don't think any of us would.

[Edited at 2020-07-04 13:09 GMT]

I would disagree with that assessment. First, I have agencies that close on their local holidays, so there is no reason I shouldn't do the same. I have also had agencies or project managers that went out of their way to ask ahead of time if I was going to be available on local holidays that didn't apply to them, so clearly the expectation is there.

That said, I don't personally observe them. Legal holidays have never had any more significance than days off for me, and I can already take days off whenever I want to as a freelancer

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on my workload Jul 4, 2020

That was my response, but the reality is that I would not typically observe them even if I had the time.

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:25
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jul 4, 2020

As most of my clients are from other countries there is no way to get them, after all I have to deliver the stated works on time.

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I observe Jul 4, 2020

I observe all my local holidays, but I work on holiday for 6 years.

Renata Machado
Renata Machado  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nope. Local holidays shall not exist for translators and interpreters! Jul 5, 2020

Local holidays shall not exist into the translation Business when you go global... it is important to know what is going on everywhere ahead.
My suggestion is: https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/
For instance: As a remote interpreter, I know that the amount of calls will reduce due to a holiday in the US. (drastically)
However, I would not refuse a translation demand from a cli
... See more
Local holidays shall not exist into the translation Business when you go global... it is important to know what is going on everywhere ahead.
My suggestion is: https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/
For instance: As a remote interpreter, I know that the amount of calls will reduce due to a holiday in the US. (drastically)
However, I would not refuse a translation demand from a client from another countries if there is a holiday only in the US.
Keep in mind that: Being flexible is always good for business because it builds trust and commitment, helps attract and keep key talent, as well as drives everyone to find solutions that work for all those involved. Money matters!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you observe your local holidays?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »