EmmanuelleAnne
EmmanuelleAnne  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:41
English to French
+ ...
Jan 10, 2017

Bonsoir tout le monde,

L'un de mes meilleurs et fidèles clients vient de m'envoyer une demande un peu différente qu'à l'habitude. Il possède des DVDs de son entreprise qu'il souhaiterait faire traduire en sous titrage. Je traduis pour lui depuis très longtemps et forcément, il fait appel à mes services pour cette traduction un peu différente. Le seul souci, c'est que je n'ai jamais fait de sous titrage et ne possède aucun logiciel à cette fin. J'ai juste traduit des petits
... See more
Bonsoir tout le monde,

L'un de mes meilleurs et fidèles clients vient de m'envoyer une demande un peu différente qu'à l'habitude. Il possède des DVDs de son entreprise qu'il souhaiterait faire traduire en sous titrage. Je traduis pour lui depuis très longtemps et forcément, il fait appel à mes services pour cette traduction un peu différente. Le seul souci, c'est que je n'ai jamais fait de sous titrage et ne possède aucun logiciel à cette fin. J'ai juste traduit des petits films mais directement sur fichier Word. J'ai entendu parler de logiciels de sous titrage qui sont simples à utiliser. Pourriez-vous, s'il vous plait, m'éclairer ? Je vous remercie d'avance pour votre aide et vos conseils.

Emmanuelle
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
E que est le format des fichiers des sous-titres ? Jan 11, 2017

Si c’est SRT, on peut traduire avec OmegaT, par example.

EmmanuelleAnne
EmmanuelleAnne  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SRT Omega Jan 11, 2017

Merci pour votre réponse. Et il faut une formation spécifique à ce logiciel ?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Non Jan 11, 2017

Apprendre à utiliser OmegaT en cinq minutes !

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Some tips Jan 11, 2017

Emmanuelle,

Come tu traduis de l'Anglais, je vais te répondre en cette langue, malgré que plusières personnes me disent que je n'ai pas oublíé "presque tout" du Français que j'ai etudié il-y-a presq'un demi-siècle et pas utilisé souvent, comme je dis toujours.

I cover the entire subtitling process. So I have divid
... See more
Emmanuelle,

Come tu traduis de l'Anglais, je vais te répondre en cette langue, malgré que plusières personnes me disent que je n'ai pas oublíé "presque tout" du Français que j'ai etudié il-y-a presq'un demi-siècle et pas utilisé souvent, comme je dis toujours.

I cover the entire subtitling process. So I have divided it in three steps, as explained on http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/subtitling.html . I often work directly from the script-less video.

Apparently you have been doing PART of Step 1, translating from pre-transcribed, pre-spotted (broken & time-coded) subtitles. Therefore you have a long way to go.

No software that I know of will "do it for you", and I use different programs in each stage. One program I DON'T use in subtitling is Word. The very simple Windows Notepad serves much, much better.

This site - http://www.videohelp.com - should have lots of useful information for your learning process.

On top of that, since your source material will be on DVD, I have a few inputs:

1. The DVD includes several VOB files, each one being a MPEG-2 video file, 720x480 pixels in size. If you want to reassemble any video, you'll have to splice the right VOB/MP2 files together.

2. What's the expected output? A DVD involves authoring, which is arranging these files in a way that makes sense for a DVD Player. There may be several separate videos on a DVD, menus will be used to let you command the player to show the one you want. Rebuilding a DVD requires authoring software.

3. A subtitled DVD can be so in two ways. Hard subtitling means burning the subs onto the video, so that the only way to watch it without those subs is by covering the bottom part of the screen with duct tape or whatever. Soft subtitling means that the DVD has (up to 32 different) subtitle files that may be selected via a menu or through the player's remote control, plus the option to turn them off. Including these files is done while authoring.

I think this should shed a bit of light on the issue. Use the Videohelp portal as much as you con, lots of valuable info there. Be my guest to browse my web site, http://www.lamensdorf.com.br , as I've published some potentially useful pages on video there.

[Edited at 2017-01-11 10:57 GMT]
Collapse

Alison High
Alison High  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
.srt files can be translated in Trados Jan 11, 2017

It is technically possible to translate .srt files in Trados, you just need to download the .srt file filter from OpenExchange if that's the route that suits you.

I have a free download on my PC called Subtitle Edit, it's great if you want to see exactly what you're looking at for each phrase you need to translate, as long as you've been provided with the video file and the .srt file
... See more
It is technically possible to translate .srt files in Trados, you just need to download the .srt file filter from OpenExchange if that's the route that suits you.

I have a free download on my PC called Subtitle Edit, it's great if you want to see exactly what you're looking at for each phrase you need to translate, as long as you've been provided with the video file and the .srt file in the source language

https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit

Hope this helps
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Any CAT tool will work on finished subtitle files Jan 11, 2017

Of course, any CAT tool will work on finished subtitle files.
I've worked with WordFast on them, all others should do, and Trados would be no exception.

Unless my lame French is betraying me...
EmmanuelleAnne wrote:
Il possède des DVDs de son entreprise qu'il souhaiterait faire traduire en sous titrage.

... means she'll have to extract the (VOB files) videos from these DVDs, and possibly splice them together in the right sequence. Then she'll either rename them as *.mp2 or convert to *.avi (my favorite working format - never slips). And this will be the preparation for her to translate from the audio.

Alison High wrote:
It is technically possible to translate .srt files in Trados,

I have a free download on my PC called Subtitle Edit,

Upon translating FROM THE AUDIO, and thereafter (or jointly) spotting with Subtitle Edit or any other alike, she'll create a SRT (or any other suitable format) subtitles file, that may be used for subtitling. Trados has no role here, unless she is one of those people who say they also use the almighty Trados to cook dinner, fix home appliances, drive the kids to school etc.

EmmanuelleAnne wrote:
J'ai entendu parler de logiciels de sous titrage qui sont simples à utiliser.

Most of the good subtitling software is relatively user-friendly and free, however most freeware requires the user to know what they are doing. I've heard of so-called "professional" subtitling software which is allegedly much easier to use (never tried one), however all of these carry a 4-digit USD price tag.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Logiciel de sous titrage

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »