GP Translations
GP Translations  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2015

Hi,

I have the DipTrans and am a member of the CIOL, and I was wondering how I should certify translations for UK agencies. It's for UK Visas and immigration. It would be bank statements and payslips. Should I put something on each page? A statement? My signature? The CIOL logo. Should I invest in a "certified" stamp that I've seen "certified translation agencies" provide?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Natasha da Silva

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
It means... Sep 7, 2015

... a separate, signed and dated sheet on your letterheading, saying: "I certify that the attached is a true translation to the best of my knowledge." Also, I suggest putting your qualifications after your name to prove your credentials.

I usually certify translations for free as a goodwill gesture.

You'll very occasionally get asked to sign an affidavit before a solicitor, or get a translation notarised. But that's not the case here.

[Edited at 2015-09-07 15:18
... See more
... a separate, signed and dated sheet on your letterheading, saying: "I certify that the attached is a true translation to the best of my knowledge." Also, I suggest putting your qualifications after your name to prove your credentials.

I usually certify translations for free as a goodwill gesture.

You'll very occasionally get asked to sign an affidavit before a solicitor, or get a translation notarised. But that's not the case here.

[Edited at 2015-09-07 15:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-07 15:19 GMT]
Collapse

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:52
German to English
+ ...
Phil's right Sep 8, 2015

My certificate says:

CERTIFICATE OF TRANSLATION

I certify that the translation of the following document from (SOURCE LANGUAGE) to (TARGET LANGUAGE) is a true and accurate translation of the original document.

Reference number:
(BRIEF PROJECT DESCRIPTION)
Date of translation:

Certified by: (SIGNATURE and STAMP)

...followed by my credentials and contact information, should the official/inspecting body wish to get in touch about the translation.

My stamp is really simple, it just says 'CERTIFIED BY:' and then my company details.

I also make sure I have a clear and traceable record of the process the document went through from original to translation to reviewed translation to certified translation.

I do not offer this service for free, as the certificates are always provided in paper form on certificate paper, in a presentation folder with the source and translation documents following it. If it's not being hand delivered I then send it to the client via registered post. The fee I charge is not extortionate; it's basically just to cover the printing and postage costs.

[Edited at 2015-09-08 06:51 GMT]

GP Translations
GP Translations  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you have an actual stamp? Sep 9, 2015

Hi Angela!

Just wondering if you got a stamp made for this purpose and if so, where from.

Kind regards,

Geraldine

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Sep 9, 2015

I don't think there's any point in getting a stamp. Your signature shows that this is an original document that only you could have issued.

acetran
acetran  Identity Verified
English to Hindi
+ ...
Thanks! Jan 12, 2016

Thanks to all of you for the information!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to "certify" a document for the uk

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »