Multilingual extract from the birth certificate: how to translate it for the UK?
Thread poster: Daniela Palermo
Daniela Palermo
Daniela Palermo
Italy
Local time: 20:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 25, 2016

One of my Clients has to submit the translation of her multilingual extract of her birth certificate to a UK body. Does anybody have experience in translating this type of document for the UK?

For the sake of clarity, pursuant to the "Convention on the issue of multilingual extracts from civil status records" (signed at Vienna on 8 September 1976) the Multilingual extracts shall be accepted without translation, legalisation or equivalent formality in the territory of each of the St
... See more
One of my Clients has to submit the translation of her multilingual extract of her birth certificate to a UK body. Does anybody have experience in translating this type of document for the UK?

For the sake of clarity, pursuant to the "Convention on the issue of multilingual extracts from civil status records" (signed at Vienna on 8 September 1976) the Multilingual extracts shall be accepted without translation, legalisation or equivalent formality in the territory of each of the States bound by this Convention; now, the UK is not bound by this Convention.

Does this document need to be translated or not?
My question stems from the fact that my Client's document presents a couple of paragrahs written only in Italian (section no.10 and the final sentences at the bottom of the document). How should I present the translation of these paragraphs?

Should I translate the entire document -even if most of it is already multilingual - writing everything only in English, or should I translate only the Italian part and leave the rest as it is? In the latter case, does anybody have the form (with the main section - that is page 1- written both in French and Italian) of the "Estratto dell'atto di nascita" in editable PDF format so I can insert only the translation needed?

Thank you in advance for your attention and help and sorry for the long question!

Best wishes,
Daniela
Collapse

Sofia Aldazabal Wood
Sofia Aldazabal Wood
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Multilingual certificate Feb 25, 2016

Hello Daniela,

As far as I know (for example Sworn translators or traductores públicos) only have to translate between their pair language. So if you do ENG-ITA, you just need to translate ITA, not the French part. So, you only translate into your target language and leave the other one.
I don't know much more, sorry!
I hope you get more and better answers.
Good luck,
Sofia

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:22
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
I am practical on this Feb 25, 2016

In such cases, I look at issues from the practical point: any document to be submitted in a cerain country has to be translated fully into the official language of that country. If a translator is not familiar with any of the source languages, the client/agency has to be informed. Though birth certificates are so plain that normally there is no room for not managing its translation.
I happen to translate documents originated in Spain, not necessarily birth cerificates. Very often, they are
... See more
In such cases, I look at issues from the practical point: any document to be submitted in a cerain country has to be translated fully into the official language of that country. If a translator is not familiar with any of the source languages, the client/agency has to be informed. Though birth certificates are so plain that normally there is no room for not managing its translation.
I happen to translate documents originated in Spain, not necessarily birth cerificates. Very often, they are written in Spanish and in Catalan, or Galician. I translate everything, very often noticing the switch of the language post factum only. (Ok, there is a lesser difference than between french and Italian).
Whether this birth certificate needs to be translated at all or not, the receiving entity can answer the best. Besides of conventions, there is always a human factor.
Collapse

Daniela Palermo
Daniela Palermo
Italy
Local time: 20:22
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will ask the receiving entity Feb 25, 2016

Thank you Inga and Sofia!
I will tell my Client to ask the receiving entity clearer information on what type of translation they need.
I will keep you posted!

[Edited at 2016-02-25 21:03 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Multilingual extract from the birth certificate: how to translate it for the UK?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »