WF Pro 4 : Why is it so slow?
Thread poster: Se Jin Kim
Se Jin Kim
Se Jin Kim
South Korea
Local time: 03:50
English to Korean
Jul 30, 2015

I installed WF Pro 4.4.1 as one of my clients requested and immediately noticed that it is painfully slow.
I'm using a laptop with Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz processor with 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD. OS is Windows 8.1.

Opening program itself takes much longer than WF Pro 3. In-program navigation is much slower, translation process in editor is much slower. Also it frequently loses window focus for no reason while editing. Overall it feels very sluggish, ineffective and counter-intuit
... See more
I installed WF Pro 4.4.1 as one of my clients requested and immediately noticed that it is painfully slow.
I'm using a laptop with Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz processor with 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD. OS is Windows 8.1.

Opening program itself takes much longer than WF Pro 3. In-program navigation is much slower, translation process in editor is much slower. Also it frequently loses window focus for no reason while editing. Overall it feels very sluggish, ineffective and counter-intuitive. I couldn't find anything better than WF pro 3 yet.

Welcome any suggestion to improve performance.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:50
English to French
+ ...
Where does one download... Jul 30, 2015

... WFP 4x ???

Current public version is 3.4.4 (http://cdn.wordfast.com/WFP_3.4.4/Wordfast_Pro_3.4.4.exe).

Se Jin Kim
Se Jin Kim
South Korea
Local time: 03:50
English to Korean
TOPIC STARTER
here is the release note Jul 31, 2015

I don't know if it's public or not but here is the release note link:

http://wordfast.com/WFP/4.4/c991626.html

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
English to Czech
Beta testers Jul 31, 2015

Ben Kim wrote:

I don't know if it's public or not but here is the release note link:

This link is for beta testers. They know how to set-up Wordast Pro.
Ask "one of your clients" in private to help you.

Milan Condak
Czech Wordfast Trainer

[Edited at 2015-07-31 16:08 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Let's hope it is slow because it's still in beta Aug 1, 2015

Ben Kim wrote:
I installed WF Pro 4.4.1 as one of my clients requested and immediately noticed that it is painfully slow. ... Opening program itself takes much longer than WF Pro 3.

On my computer as well (a reasonably fast computer).

* WFP3 cold start = 10 seconds; warm start = 7 seconds
* TagEditor 2007 cold start = 37 seconds; warm start = 13 seconds
* OmegaT cold start = 20 seconds; warm start = 13 seconds
* Trados 2011 cold start = 190 seconds (!); warm start = 20 seconds
* WFP4 cold start = 60 seconds; warm start = 40 seconds

...making WFP4 officially the slowest CAT tool on my computer to start up a second time (and the second slowest to start up the first time after reboot). Let's hope this is simply because the beta version hasn't been optimised for speed yet. (-:

In-program navigation is much slower...

I also find that there is a distinct lag (perhaps a 1/4 or a 1/3 of a second) between clicking any menu or button and that menu or button actually responding. The fact that the menu system now uses a ribbon also slows things down a bit, because one's mouse has to move in three directions instead of just two to select any option (and perhaps it's just me -- my hand-mouse coordination is better/faster when I have to select options from an up-and-down list than from a left-to-right list).

Moving between segments is near-instantaneous on WFP3 (and so moving through several segments is very responsive), but takes about 3/4 of a second per segment on WFP4 (which means that if you need to move to a segment that is more than 5 segments further on, it's actually faster to use the mouse).

WFP4 also requires a lot more steps to move between processes, particularly if your project contains only one file. This may be because WFP4 is project-based whereas WFP3 is file-based (with only virtual projects).

However, let's hope that when the official version is released, things will be faster.

[Edited at 2015-08-01 12:01 GMT]

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Switching between views Aug 1, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

WFP4 also requires a lot more steps to move between processes, particularly if your project contains only one file. This may be because WFP4 is project-based whereas WFP3 is file-based (with only virtual projects).

Hi Samuel,

Have you tried using the shortcut key Alt+w? This switches between views (Project list, TXLF editor, TM admin, and Quicktools).

Right now, I don't think it is optimal (cycles from one to the next, no quick return or possibility to press shift for example to go backwards), but will be improved.

Best,

John

panamax47
panamax47
Local time: 13:50
German to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast Pro 4 too slow Mar 2, 2016

There are indeed better CAT tools in the market as Wordfast Pro. But there is no other CAT tool in the market as flexible as Wordfast Pro. You can bet: if Wordfast Pro can't do it, no other CAT tool will do it. That's why I call it my 4x4 CAT tool. I prefer memoQ because it it far better in many ways, it is also lightning fast. This is my Porsche CAT tool and I have also tested Trados, which is the top of the line: a Rolls Royce. But these two last CAT tools have a significant flaw. They can no... See more
There are indeed better CAT tools in the market as Wordfast Pro. But there is no other CAT tool in the market as flexible as Wordfast Pro. You can bet: if Wordfast Pro can't do it, no other CAT tool will do it. That's why I call it my 4x4 CAT tool. I prefer memoQ because it it far better in many ways, it is also lightning fast. This is my Porsche CAT tool and I have also tested Trados, which is the top of the line: a Rolls Royce. But these two last CAT tools have a significant flaw. They can not process "unclean" files, for examples scanned or printed files. That is also the case with some converted files and even some Word files.

Regarding speed, WFP 4 is truly tooooo slow. I would be satisfied if it could be as fast as WFP 3 or WF Anywhere.

Improvements are also necessary in the Transcheck. I would like to see a QA similar to memoQ.

Best regards,

panamax
Collapse

DCForTransla (X)
DCForTransla (X)
Local time: 15:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Slow for Me, Too May 28, 2016

I've having the same problem with WFP 4 speed. For example, I often type out entire words or phrases from the glossary before they pop up as a translation option. (In WFP 3, they popped up immediately and I just had to press enter. Saved me lots of typing time!)

When I click on an empty target segment, it takes a good 2 or 3 seconds for it to change color and become editable.

Another issue is that the shortcut offered for copying over tags from the source segment (Cntr
... See more
I've having the same problem with WFP 4 speed. For example, I often type out entire words or phrases from the glossary before they pop up as a translation option. (In WFP 3, they popped up immediately and I just had to press enter. Saved me lots of typing time!)

When I click on an empty target segment, it takes a good 2 or 3 seconds for it to change color and become editable.

Another issue is that the shortcut offered for copying over tags from the source segment (Cntrl + Alt + Down) moves my entire computer screen around and does not affect the source segment. I can't figure out what the proper shortcut is, so for now I have to go to the " Translation" section of the ribbon, then click the >> icon at the end, then click on copy. Very inefficient for something I have to do dozens of times a day.

I'm a big WordFast Pro 3 fan and I'd like to move forward and get settled with WPF4 because there are a lot of new and good features in it, but if I find myself wasting too much time, I may just go back to WFP3.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A possible clue to the cause May 28, 2016

Quite frankly, I gave up on WFPro long ago on account of speed, not sure, but it might have been v2. However I still stick to WFClassic.

A couple of years ago, WFClassic became very slow to render the screen, from one segment to another. It took a while until similar problems began to occur in a few other programs too, however WFC was the first one where it was noticeable.

I can't remember exactly what was my troubleshooting procedure, but it led me to the video board.
... See more
Quite frankly, I gave up on WFPro long ago on account of speed, not sure, but it might have been v2. However I still stick to WFClassic.

A couple of years ago, WFClassic became very slow to render the screen, from one segment to another. It took a while until similar problems began to occur in a few other programs too, however WFC was the first one where it was noticeable.

I can't remember exactly what was my troubleshooting procedure, but it led me to the video board. I had a 512 Mb nVidia-based video card. Went shopping for a replacement, found a newer equivalent model, but too expensive. Another store offered me a 2 GB AMD Radeon video board for less than one-third of that nVidia-512 price, so I bought it.

Findings on replacement...
1. Two electrolytic capacitors on the nVidia were "blown";
2. the Radeon does not overheat like nVidia;
3. WFClassic became much faster than before the failure.

So it's possible that WordFast software by concept is quite demanding on the video board and its memory. I have no evidence of that, it's just my first conclusion from ONE case.

Yet it might be worth checking. Perhaps a Xeon processor and SSD storage with a lame video interface would still make (any) WordFast slow. Any takers?

[Edited at 2016-05-28 18:12 GMT]
Collapse

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Change shortcut keys May 29, 2016

Danielle Deremo Cosimo wrote:

Another issue is that the shortcut offered for copying over tags from the source segment (Cntrl + Alt + Down) moves my entire computer screen around and does not affect the source segment. I can't figure out what the proper shortcut is, so for now I have to go to the " Translation" section of the ribbon, then click the >> icon at the end, then click on copy. Very inefficient for something I have to do dozens of times a day.

I'm a big WordFast Pro 3 fan and I'd like to move forward and get settled with WPF4 because there are a lot of new and good features in it, but if I find myself wasting too much time, I may just go back to WFP3.

Dear Danielle,

Just curious, why are you clicking on segments? Normally, you should be using shortcut keys to navigate between segments.

As for your computer screen flipping around, this is because your graphics card uses the same shortcut keys to change the orientation of your screen. Disable them in your graphics card settings or change the WF default shortcut keys to something else. You can do this in the preferences.

For speed issues, it could be related to where you are saving your project or TM. If you are saving them to a Dropbox or Google Drive folder for example, this takes a lot of computer memory because it is constantly re-syncing the files.

Kind regards,

John

DCForTransla (X)
DCForTransla (X)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Progress and Improvements May 29, 2016

Hi everyone,

Just checking in again with some good news. After applying John's comments here, some ideas that the WordFast team gave to me via email, and some advice that worked when I had similar issues with MemoQ, the following is a list of things you can try if you are having speed issues with Wordfast Pro 4 (WFP 4):

1. Make sure you are using the Hunspell spell checker and not Microsoft Word. At least in my case (with both MemoQ and WF), the use of the Microsoft W
... See more
Hi everyone,

Just checking in again with some good news. After applying John's comments here, some ideas that the WordFast team gave to me via email, and some advice that worked when I had similar issues with MemoQ, the following is a list of things you can try if you are having speed issues with Wordfast Pro 4 (WFP 4):

1. Make sure you are using the Hunspell spell checker and not Microsoft Word. At least in my case (with both MemoQ and WF), the use of the Microsoft Word spell checker is just not possible in these CAT tools. It slows them down to the point of frequent freezing. Check this in WFP 4 by going to Wordfast 4 > Preferences > Spellchecker.

2. If you have the "spell check as you type" option active, deactivate it. According to the WF help desk, "this could cause issues even in WFP 3, especially with large files." Check this in WFP 4 by going to Wordfast 4 > Preferences > Spellchecker.

3. Try disabling term highlighting. Go to Wordfast 4 > Preferences > Terminology and uncheck the option that says "Enable term highlighting as you type", as in this screenshot http://prntscr.com/b9qid1

4. As John mentioned in his comment, you can solve the tag shortcut issue by disabling this competing shortcut in Windows. In Windows 7, right-click on the Desktop and select Graphics options > Hotkeys > Disable.

I've found that these changes were enough to solve all of my issues, and now WFP 4 is working just fine. The speed is now compatible with that of WFP 3 (which I find to be very fast -- even faster than MemoQ, which people always say is fast). I do save my files to Dropbox, but I found that I didn't need to apply John's advice of removing this option because the other changes above were sufficient. I switch between my desktop and laptop frequently, so it's really important that I be able to save my files in a Dropbox folder.

To answer your question about clicking on segments, John, I sometimes jump around in large translations. Am I the only translator who does this? :/ When I get bored with or discouraged by a particularly poorly written or difficult sentence, I will sometimes go work on another section of the translation and then go back to the annoying segment after taking a break from it. But when I work on the segments in order, you're right -- I don't need to click on them.

José Henrique, I recommend giving WF Pro another try. Of course, there might be a learning curve if you're used to WF Classic (I felt the same way when I tried out WF Classic, so it's just a question of what you're comfortable with), but it seems to be worth it so far.

Good luck, everyone, and thanks for all of the tips! I look forward to seeing what the WordFast team will come up with in the updates to WFP 4.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Essential features? Jun 1, 2016

Danielle Deremo Cosimo wrote:

I've found that these changes were enough to solve all of my issues, and now WFP 4 is working just fine.

I have also been noticing that 4 is slower than 3 (and WFC)... but the things you mention deactivating are things that I consider "essential" to my workflow... I need glossary highlighting and real-time spell checking! I might consider changing to Hunspell though...

Some of the "slowness" I am experiencing is probably due to my not-so-great computer (it's not very old, Windows 8 but not very powerful either) but still... when opening up a new file, loading a past project, etc I would like to see it become faster... it's ok for me, but could be better.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 12:50
log files Jun 1, 2016

Hi Danielle,

Can you send log files to this address [email protected]

You can find log files at C:\Users\[Username]\.gs4tr.editor\full.log. Email us full.log file.

Thank you,

John

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Wordfas PRO 4 on a MacBook Retina Jul 4, 2016

Hello,
I've been using WF3 for years and now I'm starting to use the WF4. My Macbook (OS El Capitan) has 16 GB.
I like WF 4, but it is painfully slow.
Passing from one segment to the following one is slow, looking for TM concordance is slow. And sometimes it appears a popup windows "internet connection is slow", but I'm working with local TM and no reference online.

Morover, when I pass to the following segment, the cursor goes directly to the end of the segment:
... See more
Hello,
I've been using WF3 for years and now I'm starting to use the WF4. My Macbook (OS El Capitan) has 16 GB.
I like WF 4, but it is painfully slow.
Passing from one segment to the following one is slow, looking for TM concordance is slow. And sometimes it appears a popup windows "internet connection is slow", but I'm working with local TM and no reference online.

Morover, when I pass to the following segment, the cursor goes directly to the end of the segment: this means I have to go to the segment start, and this takes time.

How can I manage this?

Thanks
Lucia
Collapse

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Suggestions Jul 4, 2016

Dear Lucia,

Did you follow all of the suggestions in this thread?

I run WFP4 on a MacBook Pro without spellcheck enabled for each individual segment and have no problems related to speed. I run spellcheck at the end.

Also, where are you saving your project files, TMs and glossaries?

Kind regards,

John

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Pro 4 : Why is it so slow?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »