Thread poster: Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 12, 2021

I’ve been an enthusiastic supporter of DVX for years. Now I see that the tool lags behind and it’s a shame, really.

Yesterday my DVX3 crashed on me several times. It couldn’t handle a large ppt file: Firts it slowed down really bad and then it just quit. Also, it showed a wrong word count (on a lower side).

I wrote to Atril support yesterday. So far I’ve got no acknowledgement of my ticket, no reply, nothing.

Of course, no signs of DVX4. It looks li
... See more
I’ve been an enthusiastic supporter of DVX for years. Now I see that the tool lags behind and it’s a shame, really.

Yesterday my DVX3 crashed on me several times. It couldn’t handle a large ppt file: Firts it slowed down really bad and then it just quit. Also, it showed a wrong word count (on a lower side).

I wrote to Atril support yesterday. So far I’ve got no acknowledgement of my ticket, no reply, nothing.

Of course, no signs of DVX4. It looks like a "mortis causa" case to me.

Any news, any feedback, anything?

I never though I would be glad to also have an SDL licence. Boy it hurts...
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:55
English to German
+ ...
Atril Dead? Jan 12, 2021

Merab Dekano wrote:

Dunno if it's brain dead, but it's still breathing...

Merab Dekano
Yolanda Broad

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time to change Jan 12, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:

Dunno if it's brain dead, but it's still breathing...

Induced coma, I guess. Time to change.

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Asked help to Lorenzo Jan 12, 2021

Just resent the message to Lorenzo, in case he can help clarify the situation.

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
free support Jan 12, 2021

Are you sure you're entitled to free support?

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 22:55
English to Russian
+ ...
DejaVu group on group.io seems to be alive Jan 12, 2021

DejaVu group on group.io seems to be alive

But there is no info about DVX4 there.

Yolanda Broad
Merab Dekano

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Jan 12, 2021

David GAY wrote:

Absolutely. So long you always have current version (DVX3 for now), support is free. If you have, say, DVX2, you'll have to pay for support, but that's not my case.

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
Newer version Jan 12, 2021

Merab Dekano wrote:

David GAY wrote:

Absolutely. So long you always have current version (DVX3 for now), support is free. If you have, say, DVX2, you'll have to pay for support, but that's not my case.

The last sign of life was in 2017

Atril - Déjà Vu
@_Atril_
·
27 sept. 2017
New DVX4, packed up with exciting features, is just around the corner! Click the red X4 button to stay in the know: https://atril.com

[Modifié le 2021-01-12 18:30 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a long life Jan 12, 2021

David GAY wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:

David GAY wrote:

The last sign of life was in 2017

Atril - Déjà Vu
@_Atril_
·
27 sept. 2017
New DVX4, packed up with exciting features, is just around the corner! Click the red X4 button to stay in the know: https://atril.com

[Modifié le 2021-01-12 18:30 GMT]

It's a long long life that DVX3 is having, yes.

By the way, Lorenzo just replied and gave me some tips to overcome the system crash problem (deactivate preview pan, which is not really a solution per se, but it works). However, no feedback on wrong word count or DVX4 (which is, of course, "around the corner"; it's either sending people to Mars or releasing DVX4, can’t have both).

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Atril is alive Jan 14, 2021

Lorenzo replied and suggested using Microsoft PowerPoint filer while importing the file (I was using by default Microsoft Office (Live) filter)).

So, having deactivated preview pan (system crash problem) and having used the new filter (word count problem), the word count is correct, and the system no longer crashes. So, it's a pass.

In any case, I already translated and delivered the ppt file in Trados, so I’ll se how this new “setup” works with the next ppt file
... See more
Lorenzo replied and suggested using Microsoft PowerPoint filer while importing the file (I was using by default Microsoft Office (Live) filter)).

So, having deactivated preview pan (system crash problem) and having used the new filter (word count problem), the word count is correct, and the system no longer crashes. So, it's a pass.

In any case, I already translated and delivered the ppt file in Trados, so I’ll se how this new “setup” works with the next ppt file I have.

Ah, and no news about DVX (he completely ignored my questions about it). Just look for the news about human mission to Mars. Once we put them there, the very next thing will be DVX4 release...

Thanks everyone!
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:55
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Atril soon dead Jan 15, 2021

Atril is paying for the extreme generosity with which they always treated users: in over 15 years I have only paid twice, first to buy DVX2 and then to buy DVX3. Of course this was a godsend for us the users, but not a very wise business model for Atril, which evidently has lacked the necessary financial resources to further develop the product.

Until well after its launch, DVX3 was considered the most brilliant and intuitive CAT tool on the market, but it soon got beaten by new de
... See more
Atril is paying for the extreme generosity with which they always treated users: in over 15 years I have only paid twice, first to buy DVX2 and then to buy DVX3. Of course this was a godsend for us the users, but not a very wise business model for Atril, which evidently has lacked the necessary financial resources to further develop the product.

Until well after its launch, DVX3 was considered the most brilliant and intuitive CAT tool on the market, but it soon got beaten by new developers who took right DVX as a model for creating more complete and up-to-date products.

Maybe there is still hope for a surprise (DVX4), because without this Atril will cease to exist for good. What a pity it would be!

[Edited at 2021-01-15 08:31 GMT]
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Jean Dimitriadis
Matthias Brombach

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Jan 15, 2021

. What a pity it would be!

Indeed, indeed. I still love the tool, but it is clearly getting outdated by days.

And yes, excellent COW too. I only paid once (for DVX3). Willing to pay for DVX4, but Atril seems to be unwilling to take my money...

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:55
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Depends mainly on Microsoft... Jan 15, 2021

...how long Windows 10 will support the underlying software structures of DV X3. And I wonder too, for how long the xliff filters of DV X3 (for Studio or memoQ) will fulfill their tasks. Why doesn´t the (new?) owner of ATRIL sell DV to a startup, who is more enthusiastic about developing it further or keeping it alive for the next 15 years in the way as it is?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-15 09:05 GMT]

Merab Dekano

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 15:55
English to Finnish
+ ...
Windows 10 Jan 16, 2021

One day I noticed that Microsoft had "updated" my Windows 10, and VDX3 was no longer able to create a project. I have DVX2 in my spare machine, and I was able to create it there and work on it on DVX3. Then, in a day or two, the problem had gone away. Thanks, Bill Gates!.

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:55
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
DV is not alone Jan 20, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Why doesn´t the (new?) owner of ATRIL sell DV to a startup, who is more enthusiastic about developing it further or keeping it alive for the next 15 years in the way as it is?

This might be a good idea for my current CAT tool too.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Atril Dead?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »