Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Unable to export from Idiom's TM
Thread poster: Theo_commit
Theo_commit
Theo_commit
English to Greek
Oct 8, 2008

I have a Translation memory created in IDIOM WORLDSERVER program (extension wstm). Unfortunatelly I cannot use it in SDLX program (translating itd files) which uses MS Acces db (mdb extension).
Either a converter or some other trick is sought desperately!
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Regards,
Theo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Other trick Oct 8, 2008

Theo_commit wrote:
I have a Translation memory created in IDIOM WORLDSERVER program (extension wstm). Unfortunatelly I cannot use it in SDLX program (translating itd files) which uses MS Acces db (mdb extension). Either a converter or some other trick is sought desperately!

You're going to have to realign the text (or, use the TM for phrase lookups only). Open it in a Unicode text editor (I use Babelpad), with line wrap enabled. Find the text inbetween all the junk, and copy it to a new file. Now separate source text from target text manually (if you want a TM) or simply use the new file as-is for context searches. The translation of each segment follows the source text.

In my Idiom jobs, the fullstop is usually the only ESP, not colons etc, so it would be reasonably easy to realign the text... depending on how much you have.

Theo_commit
Theo_commit
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to export Idiom's TM...using other trick? Oct 8, 2008

Thank you for your attempt to help.

I try to follow your suggestion by opening the file with extension wstm (the main file of four files that the tM is comprised with) by using the same unicode editor you mentioned. The file is full of unknown characters. I try to search in this chaos a few terms that I know exist in the TM, to no success. Could it be that I need to do some kind of conversion on these unknown characters and after do my searches?

Thanks very Much

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Idiom and SDLX are incompatible! Oct 8, 2008

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to extract a TM from a .wstm file.
You could rename the .wstm file to .mdb and open it in MS Access. (The translations are stored in the 4th column of the Sentences table.) You could copy them to MS Excel and then use some kind of macro to convert them to a .tmx or .csv file.

Olaf

Theo_commit
Theo_commit
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
An excellent solution! Oct 9, 2008

Indeed an excellent solution to such a difficult puzzle.
Good for you Olaf!

Thanks,
Theo

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Saving .wsprj segments as txt Oct 10, 2008

Hi Theo

do you only have the TM file, or also the .wsprj project file the TM came from?

If you have the .wsprj file, the you could try his:
1. Open it in Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench
2. Display all segments
3. Press F2 to allow multiple segment selection
4. Select all segments
5. File > Export > Segments
This way you get a txt file with all source/target segments and you can import this in a Trados or SDLX TM.

This
... See more
Hi Theo

2. Display all segments
4. Select all segments
This way you get a txt file with all source/target segments and you can import this in a Trados or SDLX TM.

This is what I came up with after some experimenting and searching when I needed to access an Idiom TM in Trados or SDLX.

HTH,
Roberta
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Does the OP have Idiom? Oct 10, 2008

Roberta Anderson wrote:

I had the impression that the OP does not have Idiom himself. Still, if I'm not mistaken, a little Googling (and some free registration) will eventually get you to a download link of Idiom Desktop. But I could be mistaken. Try here:
http://www.idiominc.com/en/worldserver-desktop-workbench-download.asp

Theo_commit
Theo_commit
English to Greek
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer; however... Oct 23, 2008

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Hi Theo

2. Display all segments
4. Select all segments

This is what I came up with after some experimenting and searching when I needed to access an Idiom TM in Trados or SDLX.

Hi,
Roberta and Thanks for your answer; however in the real world you have only the TM and nothing else. Therefore In this case by opening the TM itself, it does not give you the export feature (in some format recognizable by other programs)....

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks for that one Jun 25, 2009

Olaf wrote:

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to extract a TM from a .wstm file.
You could rename the .wstm file to .mdb and open it in MS Access. (The translations are stored in the 4th column of the Sentences table.) You could copy them to MS Excel and then use some kind of macro to convert them to a .tmx or .csv file.

Olaf

I'm struggling with the train wreck that is Idiom and this helped me have a proper look at the TM I was sent.
Once you have the TM open in Access it's really easy to sort it into two columns and import it into any other sw.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:14
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not very a good recipe... Jul 23, 2009

Olaf wrote:
rename the .wstm file to .mdb and open it in MS Access. (The translations are stored in the 4th column of the Sentences table.)

I did it. I found table named 'sentences'. Yes, it contained TUs, but source is on every odd line and target -- on every even line... It goes like:

source1
target1
source2
target2
source3
target3
source4
target4
source...
target...

down the column...

How do I separate?
Too much manual work. Not very useful.

Roberta wrote:
2. Display all segments
4. Select all segments

This way I can export only the segment in the current job, which is, say, 30K words, whereas the TM weighs more than 60 MB... Yes, I can export every job this way... but, I get updated TM with each new portion of text and the size of the TM gets bigger and bigger and contains segments I might not have in my portion of text.
How can I dump the whole TM to some other format?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some questions Jul 24, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
This way I can export only the segment in the current job, which is, say, 30K words, whereas the TM weighs more than 60 MB. ... I get updated TM with each new portion of text and the size of the TM gets bigger and bigger and contains segments I might not have in my portion of text.

Interesting. I never get a separate TM from the client. I only ever get an export file, which at my option may contain only translated/matched segments or all segments of the current project. There is no option to include or exclude the TM.

The xlz file exported from WorldServer is basically a zip file that contains an XLIFF file (the translated and untranslated segments), a TBX file (terminology) and an XML file (of unknown purpose). You can convert XLIFF to TMX or your favourite TM format using tools available on the web.

What file extension does the separate TM have that the client sends you (or: where do you download the TM from)?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TM file Aug 16, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
What file extension does the separate TM have that the client sends you (or: where do you download the TM from)?

.wstm (TM) and .wstd (Terminology Base)

The project is over, but I still keep the TM and hope to convert it somehow to TMX

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
solution Jun 16, 2010

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
.wstm (TM) and .wstd (Terminology Base)
The project is over, but I still keep the TM and hope to convert it somehow to TMX

Just drag the files onto Xbench and export to TMX. The same works for WSPJ also.

Marc-André Séguin
Marc-André Séguin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:14
English to French
Found the answer! Apr 12, 2012

With the help of the above comments, I found a way to export translations done in Idiom Workbench as a TMX file!

Using Xbench, create a new project and import DéjàVu/Idiom files. BUT, and here is the key, you have to import your final .wsprj files, and not the .wstm memory. Then you can export your project as a .tmx and import it in SDLX or any other CAT tool.

It works, I just tried it and was able to import several months of work into a shiny new TM.

Sen
... See more
With the help of the above comments, I found a way to export translations done in Idiom Workbench as a TMX file!

Using Xbench, create a new project and import DéjàVu/Idiom files. BUT, and here is the key, you have to import your final .wsprj files, and not the .wstm memory. Then you can export your project as a .tmx and import it in SDLX or any other CAT tool.

It works, I just tried it and was able to import several months of work into a shiny new TM.

Send me a message through ProZ.com if you need help.

SDL is phasing out Workbench, but now there is a solution to recuperate our content.

Marc-André Séguin
Collapse

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
Found a solution Feb 25, 2014

With the help of above answers I found a workaround to export the content of the entire TM with the software you probably already have.
It can be time consuming but it works as a charm.
Read it at http://www.vertaalt.nu/blog/export-idiom-tm/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to export from Idiom's TM

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »