What exactly is the difference between "termbase" and "translation memory"?
Thread poster: Oksana_Trans
Oksana_Trans
Oksana_Trans
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:52
English to Russian
May 13, 2009

Currently trying to master Deja Vu but question is applicable to any other CAT.

Is there a difference between "termbase" and "translation memory"?
I can send a phrase/word into a termbase OR into a TM. Does it matter?

**What is exactly the difference between them, in one sentence?**

This is all I need to know. Many thanks in advance for your help.

[Edited at 2009-05-13 15:21 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
It matters May 13, 2009

I don't know DV, but the principle is, that during translation the software divides the text into segments and scans through the translation memory, if there is a segment like the one open. If so, it puts the translation into the target field. The software also scans the termbase for chunks in the segment the correspond to entries in the termbase. The most basic termbase is a glossary, which can be a list of words with their translations.
So both are useful, but the TM consists of segment
... See more
I don't know DV, but the principle is, that during translation the software divides the text into segments and scans through the translation memory, if there is a segment like the one open. If so, it puts the translation into the target field. The software also scans the termbase for chunks in the segment the correspond to entries in the termbase. The most basic termbase is a glossary, which can be a list of words with their translations.
So both are useful, but the TM consists of segments like sentences or whole paragraphs.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:52
German to English
Termbase = glossary May 13, 2009

The translation memory is the database containing the segments/sentences you have translated. The termbase is the database (glossary) of individual terms you can add (you can also import a glossary). 2 sentences, sorry.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Simple May 13, 2009

They are both bilingual files. The only sensible difference is that the termbase contains terms while the translation memory contains segments (these are usually sentences).

The termbase is used more or less like a dictionary, and the translation memory is used so you can get a suggestion on how to translate an entire segment (sentence), which can save you time and make you more productive over the long term.

You can combine the use of the two when you use a CAT tool. F
... See more
They are both bilingual files. The only sensible difference is that the termbase contains terms while the translation memory contains segments (these are usually sentences).

The termbase is used more or less like a dictionary, and the translation memory is used so you can get a suggestion on how to translate an entire segment (sentence), which can save you time and make you more productive over the long term.

You can combine the use of the two when you use a CAT tool. For example, Trados uses a translation memory to increase your productivity, and whenever you have a segment open, it also suggests (and automatically inserts, if you wish) terms from the termbase.
Collapse

Oksana_Trans
Oksana_Trans
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:52
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone May 13, 2009

Now it makes sense. Your input is much appreciated. Very well explained as well.

Thanks again for your help!

Marisel Villarreal Rios
Marisel Villarreal Rios
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for clarifying that! Feb 11, 2015

It is very useful to know, especially when starting to learn about CAT tools

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Lexicon Feb 12, 2015

Kevin Fulton wrote:
2 sentences, sorry.

I'll add a few, if you don't mind, Kevin.

Termbase = glossary = lexicon, and they are all used for terms and phrases. I added the latter, because Oksana is learning DejaVu, and the lexicon is a rather special termbase in the DV context. It is "project specific", so you add terms and phrases to it you don't want in your regular resource(s) for terms and phrases. They can either have a special meaning for the current project, or are terms and phrases that have to be translated in a "rigid" way. Examples include a company slogan, or their CEO "Mr Brown" (you don't want the name auto-assembled). The DV lexicon enjoys priority if you use auto-assembly, and you can "promote" them from project specific to subject or client specific. In some other tools, you can achieve the same functionality.

Then there are various file formats for termbases/glossaries/lexicons: TMX, (relational) database, and tab delimited plain text (and possibly more?). Usually you, as a translator, don't have to worry about that, but it may be good to know the limitations of each file format in a number of cases.

It's a good idea to use separate termbases/glossaries/lexicons, and not integrate them in your TM(s). Actually, in most cases, they'll prove to be more useful than TMs. Add as many terms and phrases to them as you can, and you'll benefit from it. If you have your settings right...

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-02-12 00:54 GMT]

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:52
CafeTran can use resources both as termbase and as TM Feb 12, 2015

You can make a difference between the two resources (as explained in this thread), but some CAT tools (like CafeTran) allow you to use your resources both as a termbase and as a Translation Memory:

In my opinion this is correct, since TMs can contain single terms (e.g. from listings, titles), whereas termbases can contain multi-word terms. So the difference is a little arbitrary.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:52
English to Indonesian
+ ...
But is it useful? Feb 12, 2015

2nl wrote:
You can make a difference between the two resources (as explained in this thread), but some CAT tools (like CafeTran) allow you to use your resources both as a termbase and as a Translation Memory:

You can do that alright, but I think it's a bit useless, because those terms and phrases will be in the TM anyway, as part of the segment. And a decent CAT tool will find them.

Besides, if you want to re-use your TM for other project, you cannot fine-tune the settings.

I use
- a project TM (for segments of the current project)
- a general TM (with all the segments of all the projects I've done in that language pair)
- a general TM for terms and phrases (to which I add - you guessed - general terms)
- one or more client/subject specific TMs (for terms and phrases)
All of the above fine-tuned for the occasion.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What exactly is the difference between "termbase" and "translation memory"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »