Srdjan Stepanovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 12:24
Member (2007)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Dec 3, 2009

Hi everybody!

I am trying to install Idiom Desktop Workbench (version 9.0.1.49) on my laptop running Windows 7. During the installation process I keep getting the message that there was an error during the installation of .NET Framework. Anybody with the same problem?

Thanks!

Srdjan

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:24
English to Turkish
+ ...
Idiom WorldServer Desktop Workbench group at Yahoo Dec 3, 2009

This solution may help
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldServerDesktopWorkbench/message/960

By the way, what is the latest build, 9.0.1.49 ?

Srdjan Stepanovic
Serbia
Member (2007)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Dec 3, 2009

I installed the application in the compatibility mode and it works fine
Yes, I think that's the latest build, downloaded it today from the sdl website.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
The latest build... Dec 3, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

This solution may help
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldServerDesktopWorkbench/message/960

By the way, what is the latest build, 9.0.1.49 ?

Yes.
Although the size of latest version I downloaded is a little bit different from the version I downloaded a year (?) ago,
It may be a minor change in some auxiliary files ot the usual SDL version mess, I dunno.

PS.
As you see, it seems Idiom is no longer developped.

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:24
English to Turkish
+ ...
Build 9.01.54 Dec 3, 2009

Build 9.0.1.54 is mentioned in this message: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldServerDesktopWorkbench/message/955

Grzegorz, did you test the special DVX project file for Idiom projects which is ex
... See more
Build 9.0.1.54 is mentioned in this message: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldServerDesktopWorkbench/message/955

Grzegorz, did you test the special DVX project file for Idiom projects which is explained in detail at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/98031

Selcuk
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:24
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks for starting this forum, Srdjan! Dec 4, 2009

I was just about to do the same. I bought a new laptop yesterday and I am not able to install and to use Idiom (I am working with the freelance version). I just signed up with the Yahoo Group mentioned above. The membership is pending, and will be approved by an Idiom employee. I don't know when. Is there a possibility to provide some information directly in this forum? I have lost two workdays already and my deadline is coming up. I called SDL this afternoon and they told me that there is no so... See more
I was just about to do the same. I bought a new laptop yesterday and I am not able to install and to use Idiom (I am working with the freelance version). I just signed up with the Yahoo Group mentioned above. The membership is pending, and will be approved by an Idiom employee. I don't know when. Is there a possibility to provide some information directly in this forum? I have lost two workdays already and my deadline is coming up. I called SDL this afternoon and they told me that there is no solution.

Thanks so much in advance!

BR,

Nicole
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Huh Dec 4, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I downloaded the "newest" 9.0.1.49 version 2-3 weeks ago...

Grzegorz, did you test the special DVX project file for Idiom projects which is explained in detail at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/98031

No
I'll try to take a look tomorrow (today?)...
Too much work

BTW.
It seems the procedure may be simple.
The current Idiom data structures are only a kind of DVX data structure obfuscation.
I'm not a programmer but it seems obvious.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-12-04 01:54 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
A question to the colleagues who could fix the problem Dec 4, 2009

Could you successfully bypass the problem on a 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Thanks so much in advance. Right now I am a bit frustrated - to put it mildly. None of my other software versions are working (QuarkXpress, Indesign) and they scream for pricy updates. Nice...

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Windows XP mode.... Dec 4, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Could you successfully bypass the problem on a 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Thanks so much in advance. Right now I am a bit frustrated - to put it mildly. None of my other software versions are working (QuarkXpress, Indesign) and they scream for pricy updates. Nice...

If you have Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate version, you can download and install a virtual machine with Windows XP.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
Surprisingly rapid.
Yesterday, I reinstalled all the old stuff in a virtual machine on the new notebook of my daughter, it seems really faster than the previous Virtual PC versions.
The only quirk I noticed was, of course, Trados
The setup shell exited unexpectedly two or three times with a .Net error but it was posible to finish the setup manually.

BTW.
You can also try to install these programs using compatibility mode.

Cheers
GG

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
This sounds like a good solution. Dec 4, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

If you have Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate version, you can download and install a virtual machine with Windows XP.
Surprisingly rapid.
Yesterday, I reinstalled all the old stuff in a virtual machine on the new notebook of my daughter, it seems really faster than the previous Virtual PC versions.
The only quirk I noticed was, of course, Trados
The setup shell exited unexpectedly two or three times with a .Net error but it was posible to finish the setup manually.

BTW.
You can also try to install these programs using compatibility mode.

Cheers
GG

I downloaded and ran this little program earlier today and it said "Sorry, not compatible.". My laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. So, you are saying that I simply have to upgrade to Professional or higher, and I would be able to install virtual XP? This would make my day!!

Edit: Sorry, not "this" program, but Microsoft software to check your computer's compatibility with virtual XP.

[Edited at 2009-12-04 09:04 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Okay, I just bought the upgrade. Dec 4, 2009

Let's see what happens.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Upgrading Windows 7... Dec 4, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

quote]

I downloaded and ran this little program earlier today and it said "Sorry, not compatible.". My laptop came with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. So, you are saying that I simply have to upgrade to Professional or higher, and I would be able to install virtual XP? This would make my day!!

If possible, upgrade to W7 Universal, you're be able to install and use other GUI languages (e.g. I have Vista PL but I use mainly the EN interface).

As you live in US, you can upgrade online using the Windows Anytime Upgrade service (it should be available in the Start menu and in the Control panel).

Edit: Sorry, not "this" program, but Microsoft software to check your computer's compatibility with virtual XP.

I assume your machine supports the hardware assisted virtualization but double check it before you upgrade.
It should work in almost all new machines but some suprises are possible (AFAIK some cheaper Sony Vaio notebooks are intentionally crippled).

Even in this case, you can download and install another virtualization software but it may work slower (and, in ths case, you'll need an XP licence for the virtual machine).

Cheers
GG

Srdjan Stepanovic
Serbia
Member (2007)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Nicole Dec 4, 2009

Hi Nicole,

this worked for me:

right-click on the Idiom installation file,
select Properties and then click the Compatibility tab,
under Compatibility mode, select Run this program in compatiblity mode for checkbox,
then select Windows XP (service pack 3) from the drop-down list.
Run the installation and it should work fine, I hope

I am using Win 7 Ultimate edition (32
... See more
Hi Nicole,

this worked for me:

right-click on the Idiom installation file,
select Properties and then click the Compatibility tab,
under Compatibility mode, select Run this program in compatiblity mode for checkbox,
then select Windows XP (service pack 3) from the drop-down list.
Run the installation and it should work fine, I hope

I am using Win 7 Ultimate edition (32-bit)
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Grzegorz, you are great! Dec 4, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

quote]

If possible, upgrade to W7 Universal, you're be able to install and use other GUI languages (e.g. I have Vista PL but I use mainly the EN interface).

As you live in US, you can upgrade online using the Windows Anytime Upgrade service (it should be available in the Start menu and in the Control panel).

I assume your machine supports the hardware assisted virtualization but double check it before you upgrade.
It should work in almost all new machines but some suprises are possible (AFAIK some cheaper Sony Vaio notebooks are intentionally crippled).

Even in this case, you can download and install another virtualization software but it may work slower (and, in ths case, you'll need an XP licence for the virtual machine).

Cheers
GG

A minute ago I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, using the Windows Anytime Upgrade via the system information on my harddisk. Hint for colleagues: Do not buy online. There the upgrade is offered at US$ 199.95, whereas I just paid US$ 89.95 by poking around in the information provided by the machine.

I will work on the XP virtual machine thing first thing tomorrow. 2:15am is a bad time for experiments. I am curious if the XP product key from my previous laptop (he died today) will be applicable for the virtualization software. My new machine is an HP 71 Notebook, Intel Core 2 Dual CPU 2.20 GHZ, 4 Giga RAM.

Let's see..

Cheers!

This guy, to be precise: http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computers/notebooks/G71t_series/rts/3/computer_store/VM114UA%23ABA

I hope he is as solid and stable as my Toshiba Satellite.

[Edited at 2009-12-04 10:43 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Virtual machine setup Dec 4, 2009

A minute ago I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional, using the Windows Anytime Upgrade via the system information on my harddisk. Hint for colleagues: Do not buy online. There the upgrade is offered at US$ 199.95, whereas I just paid US$ 89.95 by poking around in the information provided by the machine.

Sometimes I'm happy these fancy offers and services are not available in Poland

I will work on the XP virtual machine thing first thing tomorrow. 2:15am is a bad time for experiments.

The virtual machine setup is really easy.
You receive a fully configured, clean machine with SP3.
You need only to install your software and run Windows update.

I am curious if the XP product key from my previous laptop (he died today) will be applicable for the virtualization software.

If the OS was bundled with the notebook (OEM licence), no.
But you don't need any key.
The virtual machine is already activated.

PS.
You'll need separate antivirus software for the virtual machine.
You can use MS Security Essentials
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
It's not perfect but it's free

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-12-04 10:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idiom installation problem

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »