Experiences of OpenTM2
Thread poster: Viivi
Viivi
Viivi
Finland
Local time: 10:35
Jul 1, 2010

Hello all!

I would like to hear your experiences of OpenTM2.

How does it compare to OmegaT, or other Open Source tools, for instance?

Which file formats does it support? Memories, glossaries and so on.

I have just started experimenting with OmegaT, but now I heard about OpenTM2 and I am wondering if I should invest some of my time in it too.

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 16:35
Japanese to French
+ ...
OpenTM/2 vs OmegaT Jul 2, 2010

OpenTM/2 is still very much experimental. Basically it can't be used for production yet.

IBM has decided to open source the basics of what _could_ become an interesting translation management tool but what we have right now is far from complete.

You should check the google group archives for the support discussions to see what works and what does not. You'll see it is still very much a geek's paradise.

On the other side, OmegaT is solid, used by a lot of tr
... See more
OpenTM/2 is still very much experimental. Basically it can't be used for production yet.

IBM has decided to open source the basics of what _could_ become an interesting translation management tool but what we have right now is far from complete.

You should check the google group archives for the support discussions to see what works and what does not. You'll see it is still very much a geek's paradise.

On the other side, OmegaT is solid, used by a lot of translators, you'll get user support here as well as in many other places etc.

There are other open-source/free software solutions that you should investigate. Namely Sun's OpenLanguageTool (an XLIFF editor), Okapi framework (a swiss knife for translators) etc.

Jean-Christophe Helary
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 09:35
English to German
It works, but ... Jul 2, 2010

OpenTM/2 is the Open Source version of IBM TranslationManager/2. It's a very old CAT tool and it shows both in terms of the UI and functionality. The UI, in particular the Translation Environment with its mono-spaced font and yellow highlight puts a strain on the eyes after a while. It's also not exactly an intuitive product.

File formats:
Out of the box it seems to have only filters for plain text files, Unicode files,
... See more
OpenTM/2 is the Open Source version of IBM TranslationManager/2. It's a very old CAT tool and it shows both in terms of the UI and functionality. The UI, in particular the Translation Environment with its mono-spaced font and yellow highlight puts a strain on the eyes after a while. It's also not exactly an intuitive product.

File formats:
Out of the box it seems to have only filters for plain text files, Unicode files, files with software strings, html files and rtf files.
AFAIK, IBM developed additional filters for other file formats, e.g. MIF, but didn't include them with OpenTM/2.

Import/Export:
The terminology database can only be exported in an IBM specific SGML format. TMs can theoretically be exported as .TMX files, but the TMX export didn't work in v.0.0.1. And this is only one of many bugs.

At the moment this tool is little more than a proof of concept. I'd wait until they fixed the many bugs and hopefully revamp the UI to make it more user-friendly.
Collapse

Abrigela
Abrigela
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Only read about it Jul 2, 2010

Hello, I have not used this but I read a report here that was not too encouraging.

http://globalizer.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/opentm2-yes-i-was-overly-optimistic/

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:35
German to English
+ ...
Linux/Wine test Jul 2, 2010

Successfully importing and exporting a trial text file was as far as I got with it running on Wine on Linux. My inability to import a .odt file or to import, edit and successfully export a .doc file it seems is not to do with my trying to run it on Linux/Wine.

Viivi
Viivi
Finland
Local time: 10:35
TOPIC STARTER
So of no use at the moment Jul 2, 2010

Thank you all for your comments and thank you for the link, Abrigela!

It seems that it is not worth one's while at the moment.

danl10n (X)
danl10n (X)
Local time: 03:35
English to Danish
Please don't give up just yet Jul 2, 2010

As the author of the blog post referenced above (http://globalizer.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/opentm2-yes-i-was-overly-optimistic/#comment-1835) I would want to emphasize that the underlying translation memory technology of TM2 is really excellent (see my original post just after the announcement).

It is unfortunate that the initial
... See more
As the author of the blog post referenced above (http://globalizer.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/opentm2-yes-i-was-overly-optimistic/#comment-1835) I would want to emphasize that the underlying translation memory technology of TM2 is really excellent (see my original post just after the announcement).

It is unfortunate that the initial version released is so limited with respect to file format support, but once that is rectified it should really be a terrific tool - with proper handling of different translations for homonyms, for instance.
Collapse

Joseph Dengler
Joseph Dengler  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Working with it since 1994 - here is my report Jul 21, 2010

Dear fellow translators,

You should know that:
Negative:
1. TM2's only issue is that it crashes way too often. In most of the cases, the TM is intact and you can run Automatic substitution to get back on the point where you lost the program, but if you work for IBM, you loose money, because IBM will regard the segments you got back from the memory as ... exact matches! IBM's specialty is to count your words on the delivered text, not the original... - but that's a
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

You should know that:
Negative:
1. TM2's only issue is that it crashes way too often. In most of the cases, the TM is intact and you can run Automatic substitution to get back on the point where you lost the program, but if you work for IBM, you loose money, because IBM will regard the segments you got back from the memory as ... exact matches! IBM's specialty is to count your words on the delivered text, not the original... - but that's another point.
Positive:
2. IBM did not want to invest any further in TM2. They rightly believe that translation software has no real value for a company unless it is accepted, used and developed further by the community with a vested interest in it: Freelancers, LSPs, Content Management System providers.
3. It is still the most productive translation software in my opinion. It's fast, needs just 13 MB RAM (for the complete translation environment with dictionaries and memories - yes, plural, because you can easily work with many Dicos and Mems), has the possibility of single-spaced font (Courier) which improves the recognition of typos, provides direct access to memories and dictionaries "on the fly" to correct/enter segments or terms, translates automatically in a whizz (the "translate to fuzzy" function takes hours compared to TM2), offers the possibility of automatic substitution for exact matches "in context" or "last date", and many functions that other famous CAT tools just developed in the Studio2007 version...
4. Why is it "most productive"? See the reasons under 3 plus: You can change the UI and use the fonts of your choice (Olaf, check this out!), you can select different colours for exact, fuzzy, changed exact, changed fuzzy and new segments (perfect for reviewers!), has integrated spellcheck with red underline for misspelled words, you can do global Search/Replace over ALL documents in a project (1 to 1000 files done in seconds!). Nice options to share work with subprojects also help PMs to become more productive. And: It is a networked solution, ideal for teams: It was networked already in 1994 when I installed it under OS/2 and is very stable in team situations.
5. Due to its long history, it has filters ("markups") for almost every format. It also shows you the "final" XML by adding an XLS file to the "show translation" option.
6. You need 2 hours to become proficient with the software, including tweaks.
7. So, all in all: I believe that I can call myself an expert user of Passolo, Trados, Transit, IdiomDWB and TM2. You can trust me: TM2 is the oldest, but definitely not outdated. My productivity score: TM2, IdiomDWB (probably also DéjàVu, which was the basis of IdiomDWB), Transit - and Trados certainly comes last, even more in its "Studio versions".
If you want to start with OpenTM2, contact me and I'll be happy to give you an introduction via web.

[Edited at 2010-07-21 07:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-07-21 07:35 GMT]
Collapse

danl10n (X)
danl10n (X)
Local time: 03:35
English to Danish
Positive steps Jul 21, 2010

Samarkand,
I'm happy to see your evaluation of Translation Manager (the full version). I completely agree that it is/has been technically superior.

Unfortunately the open source version does not contain all of the function you describe, but progress is indeed being made. Since I posted about some of the missing features, I wanted to also point to the positive steps that are bein
... See more
Samarkand,
I'm happy to see your evaluation of Translation Manager (the full version). I completely agree that it is/has been technically superior.

Unfortunately the open source version does not contain all of the function you describe, but progress is indeed being made. Since I posted about some of the missing features, I wanted to also point to the positive steps that are being made: http://globalizer.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/more-excellent-opentm2-news/

Also, even though it is not clear from the bug list, people are apparently working on the reported bugs. See https://sites.google.com/site/opentm2/development/committee-meeting-minutes/2010-july-8

Specifically this statement: "We have also fixed ticket numbers 3, 4, and 6."
Collapse

Sergi Martínez
Sergi Martínez
Too many bugs at the moment, but promising Sep 8, 2010

I've been playing around with the tool for a couple of days and the feeling with it is quite good. I like the philosophy of the tool and how fast it is.

But, the bugs are still too much to use it in a production environment. I've been trying to import a Trados TMX with no luck, but at least the last version doesn't crash when trying (previous one did).

Also, trying to create my own markup table always leads to app crash.

Is nice to see that there is a commu
... See more
I've been playing around with the tool for a couple of days and the feeling with it is quite good. I like the philosophy of the tool and how fast it is.

But, the bugs are still too much to use it in a production environment. I've been trying to import a Trados TMX with no luck, but at least the last version doesn't crash when trying (previous one did).

Also, trying to create my own markup table always leads to app crash.

Is nice to see that there is a community behind a software, and, if OTM2 team fixes these and other bugs in a relatively short time, this can be a very promising tool.

Also, documentation needs to improve a lot.

Sergi
Collapse

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
OpenTM2 lacks full integration with the Xbench tool Apr 16, 2015

I use OpenTM2 with the tool XBench from ApSic.

I have this problem : the feature "Edit Source" of XBench, used when checking the consistency of the translation on the QA panel, is not functional when checking files translated by OpenTM2.

This problem did not happen with the old TM2.

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
anyone has the problem mentioned above ? Apr 17, 2015

no text

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experiences of OpenTM2

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »