How to send large sound files by email?
Thread poster: FranH (X)
FranH (X)
FranH (X)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 17, 2002

I\'m translating/transcribing some interviews for TV. It would be a great help if I could send/receive large sound files (.wav or the Olympus digital recording format) by email.

Most grateful for any hints on how to do this.

Félix Saiz
Félix Saiz  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Handling large files Mar 18, 2002

Hi Fran,

This is how I use to handle large files:

Less than 2Mb: most e-mail accounts support it. Ask your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and your clients about the max. size of your/their mailbox.

2Mb-15Mb: FTP. If you or your clients have an Internet connection, most probably you/they will have a free space provided by your/their ISP (Internet Service Provider
... See more
Hi Fran,

This is how I use to handle large files:

Less than 2Mb: most e-mail accounts support it. Ask your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and your clients about the max. size of your/their mailbox.

2Mb-15Mb: FTP. If you or your clients have an Internet connection, most probably you/they will have a free space provided by your/their ISP (Internet Service Provider). This space is normally (at least here in Spain) 15 Mb.

More than 15 Mb: Instant Messaging. Try Yahoo! Messenger. It\'s an instant messaging program that (more or less) establishes a peer-to-peer connection. With this program you can transfer BIG files between computers. I have transferred files as large as 250 Mb with this program.

Of course, this is assuming you have a high-speed connection to the Internet (at least ISDN; DSL or cable even better).

Hope this helps. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need more details.

Best regards,

Félix Saiz
Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:56
German to Spanish
+ ...
You can upload them at www.mydocsonline.com Mar 18, 2002

Hi Fran!

Last week I discovered a web site where you can upload your files and send them to your clients. It\'s www.mydocsonline.com and there are different options, the cheapest one being $10 for three months subscription and up to 50MB capacity. I\'m not too sure about how it copes with sound files but I think it might be worth having a look.

I hope it helps!

Good luck!<
... See more
Hi Fran!

Last week I discovered a web site where you can upload your files and send them to your clients. It\'s www.mydocsonline.com and there are different options, the cheapest one being $10 for three months subscription and up to 50MB capacity. I\'m not too sure about how it copes with sound files but I think it might be worth having a look.

I hope it helps!

Good luck!

TERE
Collapse

luka
luka
Spain
Local time: 06:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
File Splitter Mar 18, 2002

There is a program called File Splitter that allows you split a large file, even a zip one, into the number of files or Mb that you need. I have used it and it works very well and it\'s quite easy to join all the parts. Maybe you can find it in some of the Internet engines, try Google. Good luck!

Karin KREMENDAHL (X)
Karin KREMENDAHL (X)
French to German
+ ...
Carracho Mar 18, 2002

You can download \"Carracho\" - have a look with Google. With this software you will share the file while sending.

A good music-software for downloads : limewire.

Karin

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
convert to MP3 Mar 18, 2002

You can try converting the file to MP3 format using any of a huge number of rippers. The standard \"exchange rate\" is 10 MB wav = 1 MB mp3.

If you convert to lower quality sound, such as real audio, you can get even 20:1 reduction of size.

This, of course, assumes that the client accepts this (change of format, inherent loss of quality).

I also assume that your main problem is the speed of your connection and the size of your mailbox.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to send large sound files by email?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »