Thread poster: Jan Kluczewi (X)
Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 18:47
English to Arabic
TMX Oct 11, 2012

Dear Kuba

What about exporting the TM as TMX and pre-translating your file in SDLX (or do not you have an SDLX license?)

To export a Translation Memory from WFP:

- Make sure that all your translated segments are committed to the TM by pressing Alt+End; now all the segments should appear in Violet (colour) or by cleaning-up the TXML file updating the TM.
- Go to Translation Memory (menu) > New/Select TM
- Click on Export (button)
- F
... See more
Dear Kuba

What about exporting the TM as TMX and pre-translating your file in SDLX (or do not you have an SDLX license?)

To export a Translation Memory from WFP:

- Make sure that all your translated segments are committed to the TM by pressing Alt+End; now all the segments should appear in Violet (colour) or by cleaning-up the TXML file updating the TM.
- Go to Translation Memory (menu) > New/Select TM
- Click on Export (button)
- Form the *Local TM* dropdown menu, select the TM you want to export.
- From the dropdown menu *Export Type*, select *TMX Format*
- Browse to select the preferred location and name.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

P.S.: In fact, there are some other ways such as replacing codes of TTX in NotePad, but this might be difficult and at the end you might not have a perfect TTX file for SDLX which is another common issue.
Collapse

Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
SDLX Lite Oct 11, 2012

Hi Yasmin,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I wasn't clear, it's SDLX Lite I'm using which I believe has a limitation of 500 translation units so applying a TM wouldn't work as far as I remember (the itd file has around 4000 translation units). Basically, what I want to do is transfer the source texts to Wordfast, work in Wordfast and then transfer the translation to the itd. The copy/paste method seemed the perfect solution but it doesn't work for some reason. Do you have any idea why
... See more
Hi Yasmin,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I wasn't clear, it's SDLX Lite I'm using which I believe has a limitation of 500 translation units so applying a TM wouldn't work as far as I remember (the itd file has around 4000 translation units). Basically, what I want to do is transfer the source texts to Wordfast, work in Wordfast and then transfer the translation to the itd. The copy/paste method seemed the perfect solution but it doesn't work for some reason. Do you have any idea why I can't import the exported ttx file into Wordfast Pro?

Regards,
Kuba
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
TTX Langauge Codes Oct 11, 2012

Dear Kuba,

In this case, you can open the TTX file in NotePad and find-replace the language codes.

Does this help?

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
solved Oct 11, 2012

When I open the ttx in the notepad I get a sea of tags with the actual text hidden in it like needles in a haystack... But I found a way around. I simply opened the SDLX-exported ttx in (surprise, surprise) SDLX Lite and bang! there's the source and target text without the uneditable cells. So I:

1. copied source to Word
2. segmented a few cells
3. did some translation
4. cleaned up the doc
5. copied and pasted the translations to the target column in the ttx
... See more
When I open the ttx in the notepad I get a sea of tags with the actual text hidden in it like needles in a haystack... But I found a way around. I simply opened the SDLX-exported ttx in (surprise, surprise) SDLX Lite and bang! there's the source and target text without the uneditable cells. So I:

1. copied source to Word
2. segmented a few cells
3. did some translation
4. cleaned up the doc
5. copied and pasted the translations to the target column in the ttx
6. saved the ttx
7. opened the itd
8. chose "Harvest exported TRADOStag TTX translation"
9. translations are where they should be in the itd

Luckily the only formatting in the itd is hardspaces which copied both ways so no trouble here - although when I wanted to make a TM out of some already pretranslated text in the ttx I had to correct the alignment manually as these spaces messed up rows in Excel.

Thanks for your time and comments!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Wordfast instead of SDLX lite

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »