Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Using Wordfast instead of SDLX lite
Thread poster: Jan Kluczewi (X)
Jan Kluczewi (X)
Jan Kluczewi (X)
Local time: 18:06
Oct 2, 2010

Hello everybody,

I assumed this topic would already be there but I wasn't able to find it. So if this was already discussed I would be glad to join that entry.

My client would like me to use SDLX for bigger projects with several translators (software localisation). I worked with Wordfast so far and like the integration in Word out of habit and because I find it very convenient to have spell checking options on the fly and be able to customize the viewing options a lot.
... See more
Hello everybody,

I assumed this topic would already be there but I wasn't able to find it. So if this was already discussed I would be glad to join that entry.

My client would like me to use SDLX for bigger projects with several translators (software localisation). I worked with Wordfast so far and like the integration in Word out of habit and because I find it very convenient to have spell checking options on the fly and be able to customize the viewing options a lot. Also I can integrate a glossary in Wordfast and can quickly paste in the translation of several terms, which is especially convenient since these kind of projects have very big glossaries.

I did a small assignment with SDLX lite and found it very inconvenient (not only because we were not able to connect my SDL online with the TM of the client). The view seems very rough, it seems to me that the spell checking tool is not very usable (and doesn't work on the fly) and was not able to import my glossary (simple txt-file that I created for Wordfast). All in all I am much faster with Wordfast and I think it would stay this way even if I got used to SDLX lite.

So here's my question: Is there a good way to solve this problem. Maybe I didn't "get" SDL right and the problems that I described can be solved in SDLX lite. I assumed it would be best to continue to work with Wordfast and somehow convert the TM to SDLX. I already found entries about the later problem but there seems to be no free way to do so and even with other tools it doesn't work without problems. Another possibility would be to convert the docx-file in a way that I could import it to SDLX (itd file) and hope that it's possible to export a TM from that. I considered to to my first translation with SDLX lite and then use the "preview translation" option to have all the advantages of Word but there seems to be no way to connect this preview with SDLX and thus I would have to manually switch between the programs to review and make changes which doesn't seem to be very timesaving to me.

I'm not opposed to purchasing software per se but there has to be a considerable benefit. Can anyone advise what to do or what would be best in my situation? Any experience or idea is very appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Jan
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not easy Oct 2, 2010

IF SDL Lite has an Exchange feature, you could convert the ITD file to TTX format and try translating that in Wordfast, PROVIDED that Wordfast has the ability to handle the TTX format.

It indeed this is a localization job, the client could provide you with the source files and you could mark them up or "tag" for translation with Wordfast yourself.

Just my 0.02 eurocents.

Regards

... See more
IF SDL Lite has an Exchange feature, you could convert the ITD file to TTX format and try translating that in Wordfast, PROVIDED that Wordfast has the ability to handle the TTX format.

It indeed this is a localization job, the client could provide you with the source files and you could mark them up or "tag" for translation with Wordfast yourself.

Just my 0.02 eurocents.

Regards

Piotr
Collapse

Jan Kluczewi (X)
Jan Kluczewi (X)
TOPIC STARTER
This wouldn't get the finished job into SDL, would it? Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for your cents, Piotr!
I can export the itd into htm and the client already provides me with the source files (i.e. htm). So I work on them with wordfast at the moment but the client would appreciate it if I could switch to SDL soon. The problem is that once the job is done in Wordfast I have no idea how to get it into SDL. Maybe is it possible to provide my client with the TM from Wordfast and he can implement it somehow (in an not too complicated/time consuming way) into the SDL T
... See more
Thanks for your cents, Piotr!
I can export the itd into htm and the client already provides me with the source files (i.e. htm). So I work on them with wordfast at the moment but the client would appreciate it if I could switch to SDL soon. The problem is that once the job is done in Wordfast I have no idea how to get it into SDL. Maybe is it possible to provide my client with the TM from Wordfast and he can implement it somehow (in an not too complicated/time consuming way) into the SDL TM?
Best from Hamburg,
Jan
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:06
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Possible, but not easy Oct 3, 2010

There is a way to export SDLX-files to the ttx-format for translation in Trados TagEditor.
On the File menu there is a Trados option that offer the possibility to Export to TRADOStag TTX format.
Then, after you have finished the translation of the ttx file, you select the option Harvest exported TRADOStag TTX translation.

However, this is not a 100% compatible work-around, as you'll have to do some format painting, and in heavily tagged texts, this can take som time to f
... See more
There is a way to export SDLX-files to the ttx-format for translation in Trados TagEditor.
On the File menu there is a Trados option that offer the possibility to Export to TRADOStag TTX format.
Then, after you have finished the translation of the ttx file, you select the option Harvest exported TRADOStag TTX translation.

However, this is not a 100% compatible work-around, as you'll have to do some format painting, and in heavily tagged texts, this can take som time to fix, but it is in any case a lot faster than translating the text directly in SDLX, in my experience.

To get your ttx text to Wordfast Classic, you could use a demo version of Trados:

1. Create an empty Trados memory if you do not already have one.
2. Use this empty memory and run an analysis on the ttx file.
3. In the analysis results window, click on Export Unknown Segments and save the file with the file type "Word (*.rtf)".
4. Open a new empty Word document and insert the rtf file (menu Insert -> File) and save as a .doc file. (This step is because the *.rtf file created by Trados is sometimes unstable and can easily make Word crash, and also because you can use the shortcut Shift+F5 in .doc files to quickly get back to where you left off if you reopen the file after having closed it.)
5. Now translate the file with Wordfast as usual, but use the segmentation rule "Segmentation method: Paragraph" to ensure that you get the segments as they are seen by Trados (each separate segment is a paragraph in the exported file).
6. Clean up the finished translation with Trados to create the Trados memory for your job.
7. Run the Trados memory on the ttx file to implement the translation in the ttx file.
(If your version of Trados only is the demo version, then you have to estimate how much of the file that fits in a Trados Demo memory if it is a large file and split the file in equal parts that can be cleaned and run, one by one, on the files. Open one segment at a time in Trados until you get the message that the memory is too large for demo mode, then you can see, roughly, how many segments you can have per memory.)
8. Use the option Harvest exported TRADOStag TTX translation in SDLX.
9. Verify that the SDLX file is now fully translated and use format painting as needed.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:06
English to Thai
+ ...
My simple way Oct 3, 2010

If I were you who love Wordfast Classic and need to work on SDLX, I have special steps. 1) Open the source file in SDLX (sic. SDL Edit or SDL Lite) and pre-translate with SDLX TM, if any 2) Go to target segments of SDL Edit 3) Select segment one until end of this document. 4) Hit copy button (or Ctrl + C) 5) Open a blank Word document 6) Paste the SDL Edit segments 7) Translate with my WordFast TM+glosssary --> Quick clean with WordFast button (or clean+update TM) 8) Spell check with Word 9) Se... See more
If I were you who love Wordfast Classic and need to work on SDLX, I have special steps. 1) Open the source file in SDLX (sic. SDL Edit or SDL Lite) and pre-translate with SDLX TM, if any 2) Go to target segments of SDL Edit 3) Select segment one until end of this document. 4) Hit copy button (or Ctrl + C) 5) Open a blank Word document 6) Paste the SDL Edit segments 7) Translate with my WordFast TM+glosssary --> Quick clean with WordFast button (or clean+update TM) 8) Spell check with Word 9) Select All 10) Copy in Word 11) Paste back to the SDL Edit file being highlighted. You will get the final SDL Edit (*.itd) file through goodness of both WordFast and SDLX. This is one of my tricks to enhance my productivity.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Jan Kluczewi (X)
Jan Kluczewi (X)
TOPIC STARTER
That WOULD be easy! Oct 3, 2010

Thanks a lot Ulf and Soonthon. I'm not sure I did understand the kind suggestions from Ulf but if I see it right I can not only copy and paste from SDL to Word (which I knew) but I can copy and paste it back into SDLX (which would be great news). Did I get it right? My computer crashed beyond hope yesterday but as soon as I am able to check it out I'll give a not. That would be very convenient, fast and exactly the kind of adivce I wanted to hear (and actually didn't hoped for very much).
... See more
Thanks a lot Ulf and Soonthon. I'm not sure I did understand the kind suggestions from Ulf but if I see it right I can not only copy and paste from SDL to Word (which I knew) but I can copy and paste it back into SDLX (which would be great news). Did I get it right? My computer crashed beyond hope yesterday but as soon as I am able to check it out I'll give a not. That would be very convenient, fast and exactly the kind of adivce I wanted to hear (and actually didn't hoped for very much).
Thanks a lot to all of you!
Jan
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Mexico
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Copy and paste requires a lot of format paining Oct 4, 2010

If you just copy the column and then paste the translation back into SDLX afterwards, then you'll need to apply format painting on all formatting in the file.

When you use the Trados ttx workaround, only the heavily formatted segments will need format painting, so it's a matter of judgement. If it is a large file with heavy formatting, then it will be a pain in a dark place to use simple cut and paste and then have to apply all formatting manually, but if it is a short file, then it
... See more
If you just copy the column and then paste the translation back into SDLX afterwards, then you'll need to apply format painting on all formatting in the file.

When you use the Trados ttx workaround, only the heavily formatted segments will need format painting, so it's a matter of judgement. If it is a large file with heavy formatting, then it will be a pain in a dark place to use simple cut and paste and then have to apply all formatting manually, but if it is a short file, then it might be too much hassle to go the long route via the ttx format.

In any case, you should set Worfast to segment by paragraph if you import an exported client memory to Wordfast (then you'll get the same matches as you would in SDLX - no need to run the SDLX memory before you copy the source text).
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 11:06
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
An straight forward approach to solve your problem Oct 4, 2010

¡Hola!

Here I transcribe what I have used before. It makes full profit of the fact that you can copy and paste the SLDX columns.

It appeared in http://www.necco.ca/dv/sdlx_transit_wordfast.htm#Working_with_SDLX_files

as a contribution of Norbert Hofmann. I have made some adaptations for your particular case:

... See more
¡Hola!

Here I transcribe what I have used before. It makes full profit of the fact that you can copy and paste the SLDX columns.

It appeared in http://www.necco.ca/dv/sdlx_transit_wordfast.htm#Working_with_SDLX_files

as a contribution of Norbert Hofmann. I have made some adaptations for your particular case:

1. Open the itd file in SDLX.

2. Select the whole right-hand column. For me the easiest way is by clicking in front of the very first word, scrolling down to the end of the file, holding Shift and clicking with the left mouse button.

3. Ctrl+C

4. Open an empty Word file.

5. Ctrl+V into the Word file. The whole text of the itd is in the Word file then. The segments are in individual paragraphs. Save the file.

6. Translate this Word file as usual in WordFast.

7. Select the whole text in the translated Word file.

8. Select the whole right-hand column in the itd in SDLX again.

9. Insert the text (Ctrl+V).

10. Carry out format painting in SDLX.

11. Confirm all translations in SDLX.

I believe this is the simpler solution you can find.

By the way, the TTXpress template would allow to convert from .ttx to .rtf and back, should you opt for the itd->ttx->rtf path.

Saludos

[Edited at 2010-10-04 15:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-10-04 16:16 GMT]
Collapse

Jan Kluczewi (X)
Jan Kluczewi (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Copy and paste not possible because of donnottranslate-tags. Oct 4, 2010

Thanks a lot again to all of you. I'm really very grateful that you take your time and energy to answer this question.

I downloaded a demo version of Trados and I install it and try it out as soon as possible.
Meanwhile I managed to test the copy'n'paste solution but the problem is that the files I've got have a lot of "donottranslate"-Tags included. That means that I only need to translate about every other line in SDLX. That wouldn't be so bad if this wouldn't seem to lead
... See more
Thanks a lot again to all of you. I'm really very grateful that you take your time and energy to answer this question.

I downloaded a demo version of Trados and I install it and try it out as soon as possible.
Meanwhile I managed to test the copy'n'paste solution but the problem is that the files I've got have a lot of "donottranslate"-Tags included. That means that I only need to translate about every other line in SDLX. That wouldn't be so bad if this wouldn't seem to lead to the fact that I'm not able to paste over them. So I can copy everything into and from a Wordfile but I can't paste it back into the SDL form. That's too bad I guess, because the copy solution seemed to be very good for me.

Regarding the format issue I have to say that there are practically no (if really no) formats needed. These files are a segments of a big file. They are all pure html.

I'm not sure if future projects from this client will have this format as well and this project will soon be done. But since the client asked me to work with SDL in the future this copy'n'paste solution might come in handy if there are no "donottranslate"-Tags involved. I tried to export the itd into a ttx file and tried the copy'n'paste solution there. It worked but the problem is that the Donottranslate-lines were lost in this process. Maybe there's a solution there to take the workaround over ttx and Wordfast, create a TM this way and apply the TM on the itd file?

Thanks and thanks again for your support. I'm really a newbie to this tools and usually I have a firm grasp on the use of software but I didn't think it would be this complex (and I know that I only scratched an square centimeter of the surface, yet).

Jan
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Mexico
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
It won't work to copy from the ttx file Oct 4, 2010

When you've exported to the ttx file with Export to TRADOStag TTX format on the File menu, you don't actually need to open that file in TagEditor.

All you need to do with that file, you do from Trados Workbench:
3. In the analysis results window, click on Export Unknown Segments and save the file with the file type "Word (*.rtf)", like Empt
... See more
When you've exported to the ttx file with Export to TRADOStag TTX format on the File menu, you don't actually need to open that file in TagEditor.

All you need to do with that file, you do from Trados Workbench:
3. In the analysis results window, click on Export Unknown Segments and save the file with the file type "Word (*.rtf)", like Empty_unknown.rtf.
4. Now translate the file Empty_unknown.rtf with Wordfast as usual, but make sure the segmentation rule is "Segmentation method: Paragraph" so that you get the segments as they are seen by Trados Workbench (each separate segment is a paragraph in the exported file).
5. Clean up the finished translation of Empty_unknown.rtf with Trados to create the Trados memory you need for your SDLX job.
6. Run the Trados memory from Trados Workbench on the ttx file to implement the translation in the ttx file. (If your version of Trados only is the demo version, then you have to estimate how much of the file that fits in a Trados Demo memory if it is a large file and split the file in equal parts that can be cleaned and run, one by one, on the files. Open one segment at a time in Trados until you get the message that the memory is too large for demo mode, then you can see, roughly, how many segments you can have per memory.)
7. Use the option Harvest exported TRADOStag TTX translation in SDLX to implement your translation in SDLX.
8. Verify that the SDLX file is now fully translated and use format painting as needed.

This procedure does work even with locked segments in SDLX.
Collapse

Jan Kluczewi (X)
Jan Kluczewi (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Where do I get Trados Workbench? Oct 4, 2010

Ulf, thanks a lot for you expert help. Somehow "Trados Workbench" sounds like a freeware tool to me and indeed there seems to be a lot sites where one can download it for free but until now I only found sites which seem to be not very trustworthy. So is this a trick or is "Trados Workbench" indeed a freeware tool? Or would I have to install the demo of Trados (which I will do anyway but which won't be accessible very long)?

Edit: I just found out by myself that Trados Workbench is p
... See more
Ulf, thanks a lot for you expert help. Somehow "Trados Workbench" sounds like a freeware tool to me and indeed there seems to be a lot sites where one can download it for free but until now I only found sites which seem to be not very trustworthy. So is this a trick or is "Trados Workbench" indeed a freeware tool? Or would I have to install the demo of Trados (which I will do anyway but which won't be accessible very long)?

Edit: I just found out by myself that Trados Workbench is probably not free and instead is the part of Trados which manages the data of the TM.

[Edited at 2010-10-04 21:57 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Not a freeware tool Oct 4, 2010

Hi Jan,

Please be aware that Trados Workbench (aka SDL Trados 2007, the latest version) is not a freeware tool, and if it is available anywhere for free, it means that it is a pirated version.

Natalia

Ulf Samuelsson
Mexico
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Trados Workbench Oct 4, 2010

Yes, Trados Workbench is the program that handles Trados memories up to version 2007.

It is not that easy to get hold of anymore as SDL Trados is going for the Studio version instead and Trados Workbench isn't sold anymore (other than indirectly as SDL Trados 2007 is included with Trados Studio).

As long as you can get a hold of any older version (5, 6, 7 or 8), then you can install Trados Workbench and it can run in demo mode, fully functional for small memories (a few
... See more
Yes, Trados Workbench is the program that handles Trados memories up to version 2007.

It is not that easy to get hold of anymore as SDL Trados is going for the Studio version instead and Trados Workbench isn't sold anymore (other than indirectly as SDL Trados 2007 is included with Trados Studio).

As long as you can get a hold of any older version (5, 6, 7 or 8), then you can install Trados Workbench and it can run in demo mode, fully functional for small memories (a few hundred TUs).

Personally, I have a fully registered version as I got tired of using multipe small memories, but I actually don't use it for anything else than file handling (opening TMs, exporting TMs, processing files), not for actual translation. No other program has come even close to Wordfast Classic for translation speed and quality control functions.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
TTX Oct 4, 2010

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

If SDL Lite has an Exchange feature, you could convert the ITD file to TTX format and try translating that in Wordfast, PROVIDED that Wordfast has the ability to handle the TTX format.

Dear Jan,

You can ask your client to provide you with the files in the SEGMENTED TTX format. Once you have the TTX files, you will be able to translate them with Wordfast Classic or better with Wordfast Pro.

You can use the latest version of Wordfast Classic to convert the TTX file to a doc, translate/proofread and then convert it back to the TTX format. Currently, a TTX file should be segmented first. Even pre-translating it in a trial version of Trados against an empty TM should be enough.

You can download and install the latest version of Wordfast Classic available at:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage

Steps:

1- Open the (segmented) TTX in MS Word.
2- Press Alt+Down to start translation
3- When you are asked to tag the file, answer affirmatively.
4- Translate!
5- Cleanup; this will create a TRANSLATED version of the TTX file in the same folder.

Make sure you do not change the file names and locations during the translation.

==========================

For more information about translating TTX files, please refer to this knowledge-base article:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=138-35

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Kjub
Kjub  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
translation pasting problem Oct 11, 2012

Hi all,

I've just run into a similar problem - using SDLX which is a hateful tool. How do you manage to paste the translated text back into SDLX? I can't do it by CRTL + V and the "Paste" command is inactive. Right-hand column highlighted of course. Most of the cells are uneditable (string ID, max character requirements info etc.), may this be the reason?

I also tried exporting a ttx and opening it in Wordfast Pro but WP displays this message:

"TXML file y
... See more
Hi all,

I've just run into a similar problem - using SDLX which is a hateful tool. How do you manage to paste the translated text back into SDLX? I can't do it by CRTL + V and the "Paste" command is inactive. Right-hand column highlighted of course. Most of the cells are uneditable (string ID, max character requirements info etc.), may this be the reason?

I also tried exporting a ttx and opening it in Wordfast Pro but WP displays this message:

"TXML file you attempted to open has en-US-pl-01 language. This is incompatible with the current project, en-US-pl-PL language. Would you like to select existing or create a new project wit the en-US-pl-01?"

Now, whatever I choose I get a "Create Project" window where I have to give the project name, source locale and target locale data but the target locale field inactive so that I can't fill it in. When I click OK I obviously get a message "Target language is required" but I how can I provide one when the filed is greyed out?!

CAT tools are supposed to make your work faster and I've already wasted a few hours trying to find a workaround. It drives me crazy, does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
Kuba
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Wordfast instead of SDLX lite

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »