Excel embedded in PPT: what's the latest hotness (Trados 2009/Office 2010)?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2011

Hi all,

Throughout the years, there have been many posts regarding the easiest way to translate embedded Excel sheets in Powerpoint.

Manual editing inside the PPT is out of the question, at least there are ways to keep the source in the CAT domain. I've heard about workflows involve converting to OpenOffice and translating in OmegaT. Or rename the PPTX to .zip, access each Excel sheet individually and remaning it back to PPTX.

I haven't kept up to date with
... See more
Hi all,

Throughout the years, there have been many posts regarding the easiest way to translate embedded Excel sheets in Powerpoint.

Manual editing inside the PPT is out of the question, at least there are ways to keep the source in the CAT domain. I've heard about workflows involve converting to OpenOffice and translating in OmegaT. Or rename the PPTX to .zip, access each Excel sheet individually and remaning it back to PPTX.

I haven't kept up to date with recent development.

I noticed that Office 2010 has a "convert funtion" to update PPT files to 2010 standards. But that doesn't seem to make any difference?

Is there any CAT tool (except Transit full version) that handles embedded sheets natively these days, without somersaults?
What workflow would you recommend otherwise?

/Jan
Collapse

Fabian Luttman
Fabian Luttman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:38
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing! Apr 27, 2012

One full year has past and there is not a single answer to this question.
I'm dealing with the same problem today, and all I can do is to manually extract the embedded files from PPT, process them with Trados and then put them back (manually) into the PPT.
I will try CafeTran. I think it might handle them without extra work.

Fabian

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:38
English to Turkish
+ ...
Deja Vu X Apr 28, 2012

DVX can handle embedded objects in Office documents, a great feature not advertised too much by ATRIL.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel embedded in PPT: what's the latest hotness (Trados 2009/Office 2010)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »