Thread poster: Christophe Lefrancois
Christophe Lefrancois
Christophe Lefrancois  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
French
+ ...
Jul 7, 2011

Hi everyone,

Could anyone recommend me a reliable software to extract terminology?

I know Multiterm 2009, but it's too expensive for me.

Thanks ,

Christophe

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:57
English to French
+ ...
MemoQ 5 Jul 7, 2011

I think the just-announced, upcoming Version 5 of MemoQ will have (has, there is a release candidate available for DL) some sort of terminology extraction tool. I don't know if its output can be used out of MemoQ, though.
http://kilgray.com/products/memoq/whatsnew

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Xbench - very good and very inexpensive Jul 7, 2011

Try Xbench from Apsic. I have used it for years and will never go back to MultiTerm.
It is free, easy to use and covers a lot of file-types.

http://www.apsic.com/en/downloads.aspx

[Edited at 2011-07-07 15:40 GMT]

Christophe Lefrancois
French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 7, 2011

Thanks very much Per!! It's a very useful tool.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
With Xbench you are not going to extract anything... Jul 8, 2011

Hi,
Xbench (currently v.2.9) is a concordancer, not an extraction tool. It's however excellent to transform TMX into tab text.

The only free extraction tool I'm aware of is

ExtPhr33 , but no Unicode support without making a macro.

just google it, because I haven't the link.

Greets,
Mike

Christophe Lefrancois
French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
doesn't work Jul 8, 2011

Hi Mike,

I downloaded ExtPhr33 but when i try to install it, i got this message "ExtPhr33 is not compatible with Windows 7"..

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
File types Jul 8, 2011

What kind of files do you want to extract?
Xbench can handle translation memory directly, for instance as .tmx-files.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Transfer it from XP... Jul 8, 2011

Christophe Lefrancois wrote:

Hi Mike,

... "ExtPhr33 is not compatible with Windows 7"..

yes of course, where are you thinking This is software from 2005, but then.. it's free.

What do you want to do exactly?

- Extract terminology (monolingual or bilingual):
ExtPhr33; MT Extract; MemoQ 5 (it's "just" a complete CAT tool, not only an extraction tool, not exportable most probably); Across (free but inside working only).

- Convert files:
All CAT-tool formats (except TM) to TMX or TAB, or import Tab, TMX: >> Xbench

Greets,
Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-08 15:01 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ 5 Jul 10, 2011

btw, memoQ 5's new terminology extraction feature works very well. you can even import/export/edit Stop Word Lists!

you can also easily Export all Accepted Candidates to a term base, and then export this term base to .CSV, .TSV, etc

Michael

p.s. You can easily run ExtPhr33 in "Windows XP Mode" (Windows Virtual PC) on Windows 7.

[Edited at 2011-07-10 19:50 GMT]

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Xbench and SDL Studio 2009 SP3 Jul 10, 2011

hello

Xbench seems to look fine and I have lot of problems with Multiterm,

is Xbench terminology output compatible with SDL Studio 2009 SP3 termbases?

thanks - Marie

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
MT and Xbench Jul 11, 2011

Hi Marie,

my experiences with Multiterm (2007 & 2009) point me to say that it's highly recommended to leave them in MT, not trying to export them as this will result in a chaos.
This is particulary true when you have a lot of fieds, and even in my case with only 1 language pair, 1 entry for every equivalences, no merged terms, this will still result in issues after export.

For more details, please read this, but unfortunately I cannot find the link for the communi
... See more
Hi Marie,

my experiences with Multiterm (2007 & 2009) point me to say that it's highly recommended to leave them in MT, not trying to export them as this will result in a chaos.
This is particulary true when you have a lot of fieds, and even in my case with only 1 language pair, 1 entry for every equivalences, no merged terms, this will still result in issues after export.

For more details, please read this, but unfortunately I cannot find the link for the community script made by Farkas (allowing to bypass export errors with MT).

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/202420-how_do_i_convert_a_multiterm_2009_database_to_an_sdlx_termbase.html

Bye,
Mike
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Maybe possible when exporting MT as MT 5... Jul 11, 2011

Marie,

I've just taken a look in Xbench: it's possible to import "MT 5 glossaries" . Give it a try by exporting your MT as MT5 and import it in Xbench. I have no idea of the result, and I don't think that all will be transfered (see last post).

Mike

Michel A.
Michel A.  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:57
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Terminology extraction May 23, 2012

Hi everybody,

I need to extract the most relevant terminology from a monolingual English Excel file (roughly 100K words), preferably on MAC OS X, but Windows is still an option. Of course, I would prefer not to spend hours trimming a very large extracted file... I need a tool which "cuts the crap" alone.

This is a huge project, with other files to come and the client is paying to build the glossary (payin
... See more
Hi everybody,

I need to extract the most relevant terminology from a monolingual English Excel file (roughly 100K words), preferably on MAC OS X, but Windows is still an option. Of course, I would prefer not to spend hours trimming a very large extracted file... I need a tool which "cuts the crap" alone.

This is a huge project, with other files to come and the client is paying to build the glossary (paying for my time, not for the tool), then I can invest reasonable money in a new tool, providing that it is really easy to master (no time for tries and errors, and no time to fight with a non intuitive GUI, I really need a fast learning curve).

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Michel
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TerMine & PhraseMiner May 23, 2012

Hi Michel,

Try TerMine by NaCteM (The National Centre for Text Mining) and/or PhraseMiner (by the guy who makes CodeZapper) with Excel and a text editor.

Michae
... See more
Hi Michel,

Try TerMine by NaCteM (The National Centre for Text Mining) and/or PhraseMiner (by the guy who makes CodeZapper) with Excel and a text editor.

Michael

http://www.nactem.ac.uk/software/termine/
http://asap-traduction.com/PhraseMiner
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
+Tools May 23, 2012

Yes, I know, it's not very popular among modern youngsters and up-to-daters, but I still find free PlusTools (http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/PlusTools) quite useful.

Actually, it may be just like walking down the memory lane, yet WF 3.35x, Pragma, Lingvo, and PlusTools were my favs back then in 2003. Why, I still ocassionaly use them, especially WF + PlusTools combo (they are always ZIP
... See more
Yes, I know, it's not very popular among modern youngsters and up-to-daters, but I still find free PlusTools (http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/PlusTools) quite useful.

Actually, it may be just like walking down the memory lane, yet WF 3.35x, Pragma, Lingvo, and PlusTools were my favs back then in 2003. Why, I still ocassionaly use them, especially WF + PlusTools combo (they are always ZIPed on my USB stick taking less than 2 MB!)

To be more specific, with proper settings +Extract page makes little wonders, but still one has to keep a picky eye on it
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology extraction software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »