Glossaries: would consulting both directions of language pair be useful?
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 13:20
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 7, 2002

I was wondering whether it would be useful to be able to consult the glossaries in both directions of each language pairs. With my Multitrans Cat Tool, for example, I can consult my termbases in any direction I want Target to source and source to target. And sometimes it is really helpful. Yesterday, for esample, someone wanted translated from English something that I had translated from Italian into English.

paola l m

[ This Message was edi
... See more
I was wondering whether it would be useful to be able to consult the glossaries in both directions of each language pairs. With my Multitrans Cat Tool, for example, I can consult my termbases in any direction I want Target to source and source to target. And sometimes it is really helpful. Yesterday, for esample, someone wanted translated from English something that I had translated from Italian into English.

paola l m

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-07 23:37 ]
Collapse

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:20
English to Spanish
Agree Apr 8, 2002

Actually, I never specify a language pair when I look something up in the glossary: I often find helpful stuff in the other direction, or even in other language combinations (languages I don\'t work with but understand well enough to be able to get something). But being able to consult in both directions would save me the time I spend scrolling down the hundreds of English>Hungarian entries!

Cheers,

Andrea

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 18:20
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree Apr 8, 2002

Dear Paola,

Good point raised!

I think dual search is indispensable and I love my Norstedts, Duden-Oxford and to some extent Ernst 2000 and Engström for allowing dual (sextuple/quadruple) searches.

Thus you can often make an intelligent choice between \'synonyms\' (that often aren\'t) because you can deduce the nuances by studying the other direction(s)

Mats

David Davis
David Davis  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely! Apr 8, 2002

I am new to this site - about 3 weeks now, but I often take the time to look words up both ways anyway to get a better feel for the best way to say things. Great idea!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossaries: would consulting both directions of language pair be useful?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »