Thread poster: Cécile Trotin (X)
Cécile Trotin (X)
Cécile Trotin (X)
Local time: 12:30
English to French
+ ...
Apr 12, 2002

Dear All,

I need your help. A few days ago, when I tried to open Word, I got an error message (Erreur d\'exécution 5 : argument ou appel de procédure incorrect) whereas I opened it as usual and, after clicking the OK button, Word opened but without any menu bar. I have scanned my system to check that there were no viruses and there was none. Now whenever I want to open Word I have the same error message and I really don\'t know how to get rid of it. I tried to uninstall Wo
... See more
Dear All,

I need your help. A few days ago, when I tried to open Word, I got an error message (Erreur d\'exécution 5 : argument ou appel de procédure incorrect) whereas I opened it as usual and, after clicking the OK button, Word opened but without any menu bar. I have scanned my system to check that there were no viruses and there was none. Now whenever I want to open Word I have the same error message and I really don\'t know how to get rid of it. I tried to uninstall Word and reinstall it but nothing changed.

Do you have any suggestion to help me resolve this problem? I can still use word but it is not practical at all.

Thanks to you all.

Cécile
Collapse

Eivind Lilleskjaeret
Eivind Lilleskjaeret  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Possible conflict Apr 12, 2002

I don\'t know that particular error message, but had you installed any other software before this occurred that may have caused this? There may be conflicts in common libraries/procedures.

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another possibility... Apr 12, 2002

If you have the original installation CD, insert it in the CD-ROM drive, execute the program... There is an option that is called Repair (or restore). Try that one. Sometimes it works.

Keep my fingers crossed for you!

P.

Cécile Trotin (X)
Cécile Trotin (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As far as I remember I did not install any new software Apr 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-12 12:53, fidotext wrote:

I don\'t know that particular error message, but had you installed any other software before this occurred that may have caused this? There may be conflicts in common libraries/procedures.

Thanks for the info but as far as I remember, I did not install any new software before the problem happened.

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Norton Utilities Apr 12, 2002

As a last resort, I suggest buying, installing and running Norton Utilities. This is the best available system doctor. It scans your entire system, identifies problems and fixes them, it also optimizes performance and fixes damaged programming code. It\'s also not very expensive at around (in Canada) C$100. I\'ve never had a problem since I\'ve installed it.

Marcus

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 06:30
German to English
+ ...
Word tends to create this errors all by itself Apr 12, 2002

WORD has a tendency to create such errors all by itself. It has happened to me so many times: error this, error that.

Sometimes, the problem goes away after some time (I tell you, WORD is probably a living organism ).

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word 2000 is rather error-free Apr 12, 2002

The reason must be in your \"normal.dot\" file.

Please search your system for it, rename it to \"normal.do_\" and than start Word again. As any selections made in \"normal.dot\" are not available at thi moment, Word should start normal. After closing Word you will have a new \"normal.dot\" on your systems, though without any customized settings. To get your all auto-textes from the old \"normal.dot\" rename it again, ie. \"mine.doc\", and than start Word. With a blank document on the b
... See more
The reason must be in your \"normal.dot\" file.

Please search your system for it, rename it to \"normal.do_\" and than start Word again. As any selections made in \"normal.dot\" are not available at thi moment, Word should start normal. After closing Word you will have a new \"normal.dot\" on your systems, though without any customized settings. To get your all auto-textes from the old \"normal.dot\" rename it again, ie. \"mine.doc\", and than start Word. With a blank document on the beginning go to extras and than styles (I don\'t kno the right name, but this is the place you can define with i.e. Arial, block, 12 point and so on), then choose organise and look for auto-text import. You can use the Word-help, it is realy good.

I hope it helps. I can deliver a better description in German or I can try to explain the way on the phone. If you wish any assistance, please contact me on my ProZ profile.

Regards

J. Czopik
Collapse

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Change Noraml.dot Apr 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-12 13:44, pbayle wrote:

If you have the original installation CD, insert it in the CD-ROM drive, execute the program... There is an option that is called Repair (or restore). Try that one. Sometimes it works.

P.

Another way of help might end in this: Find the Normal.dot in your program folder. Rename i... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-12 13:44, pbayle wrote:

P.

Another way of help might end in this: Find the Normal.dot in your program folder. Rename it to Normal.old and start Word again. How does it react? ▲ Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:30
Italian to English
+ ...
Maybe a corrupt word.dot file Apr 12, 2002

This happened to me once (with Woird97).

Toolbars disappeared. What I did was rename the word.dot file to something else. The next time I started Word, it recreated the file.

Have you by chance installed any new macros or changed any existing ones?

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-04-12 11:05, Cicely wrote:

Do you have any suggestion to help me resolve this problem? I can still use... See more
This happened to me once (with Woird97).

Toolbars disappeared. What I did was rename the word.dot file to something else. The next time I started Word, it recreated the file.

Have you by chance installed any new macros or changed any existing ones?

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-04-12 11:05, Cicely wrote:

Do you have any suggestion to help me resolve this problem? I can still use word but it is not practical at all.

Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 18:30
English
+ ...
Are you running Windows ME? May 7, 2002

I had a similar problem. Error messages varied, but mostly complained of indigestion at user.exe. De/reinstallations did not help and all other applications worked nicely. Called in a friend who grumbled something about ME, and replaced it with Wndows 2000P only because he had no CD of XP. However, this generation of Windows is headed for the scrap heap once the 64-bit stuff comes out in autumn.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical problem with Microsoft Word 2000

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »