Jorim De Clercq  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 01:43
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 7, 2012

Help!!!
I have just done my first translations in some word-documents.
I need to know how I can count the words as shown below, because my employer asked for it.

WORD COUNT: Repetitions ......... words
100 - 95% ......... words
94-75% ......... words
74% - No match ........ words

I have no knowledge at all of any CAT-tools.
How can I do this? Can anybody help me?<
... See more
Help!!!
I need to know how I can count the words as shown below, because my employer asked for it.

94-75% ......... words

How can I do this? Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Collapse

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:43
English to Hungarian
In my opinion Mar 7, 2012

Producing these data would need re-creating the „philosophy" behind „matching” and turn it into proper mathematical formulae – this task is not as simple as it may seem for the first sight. CAT tool makers have solved this problem, so I suggest downloading a charge free CAT tool with word count function.

And, as a „side effect”, you may get to like using CAT tools.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:43
French to English
+ ...
You can't, and shouldn't. Mar 7, 2012

Jorim De Clercq wrote:
Help!!!

94-75% ......... words

How can I do this? Can anybody help me?

Thanks

In short, you can't do this without a CAT tool. Is this really your employer, or is it a client for whom you are doing a job? If it is the latter, you need to tell them that you don't have a CAT tool.

It doesn't make sense for you to count the words in this way, since you obtain no speed or consistency benefit from knowledge of the level of repetition if you don't use a CAT tool.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:43
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Agreement BEFORE taking the job Mar 7, 2012

Are you saying that you already did the translation and you are just now discussing word counts?
Contract work 101: you need to have an agreement about all basic parameters before starting the work, including deadline, delivery format and method, total price (or unit price and number of units), and payment terms - that is payment deadline and method.

If you do not have a CAT-tool, there is no point in discussing repetitions, matches, etc.
If you are a freelancer, you don
... See more
Are you saying that you already did the translation and you are just now discussing word counts?
Contract work 101: you need to have an agreement about all basic parameters before starting the work, including deadline, delivery format and method, total price (or unit price and number of units), and payment terms - that is payment deadline and method.

If you do not have a CAT-tool, there is no point in discussing repetitions, matches, etc.
If you are a freelancer, you don't have an employer, you have a business partner for whom you do contract work.

Katalin
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:43
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Why are they asking now? Mar 7, 2012

Are the translations completed? It's rather bizarre to be asked for a CAT breakdown after the job. What's the point of that? Only editable (and thus countable) files can be processed in CAT tools, so these numbers are run on the source text and thus known in advance. I don't know whey they asking after the fact, or even asking at all, since clients almost always provide their own count, which you need to verify yourself and agree to.

[Edited at 2012-03-07 16:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP!!!! Word count with matches without knowledge of CAT-toola

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »