Will a system image also save my CAT tool?
Thread poster: Mariana Rohlig Sa
Mariana Rohlig Sa
Mariana Rohlig Sa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:10
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 8, 2012

I am a complete zero when it comes to anything IT-related. As I have just invested in SDL Studio 2011 and bought a new laptop, I want to make sure that I do everything that the modern world offers to backup not only my files, but also my software. Will a system image also save Studio 2011 so I can reinstall it if my computer crushes?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
Finnish to French
Nalperion might be a problem Mar 13, 2012

Mariana Rohlig Sa wrote:

I am a complete zero when it comes to anything IT-related. As I have just invested in SDL Studio 2011 and bought a new laptop, I want to make sure that I do everything that the modern world offers to backup not only my files, but also my software. Will a system image also save Studio 2011 so I can reinstall it if my computer crushes?

In principle, you should be able to restore a full image taken with such programs as EaseUS Todo Backup, Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image or even the Backup facility now included with Windows 7.

However, the licensing component of SDL Trados Studio uses some nasty software called Nalperion that writes very low-level stuff to your drive (see the following thread for more information. You may be able to restore an image to the same drive in the same computer, but not necessarily to another drive and/or another computer. That is, you will have a restored image, but not necessarily a working copy of Studio 2011.

I would advise you ask your question on the SDL forum, which is monitored by SDL employees, some of whom are very knowledgeable about the technical aspects of their products.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Nalpeiron stuff Mar 16, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Mariana Rohlig Sa wrote:

In principle, you should be able to restore a full image taken with such programs as EaseUS Todo Backup, Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image or even the Backup facility now included with Windows 7.

However, the licensing component of SDL Trados Studio uses some nasty software called Nalperion that writes very low-level stuff to your drive (see the following thread for more information. You may be able to restore an image to the same drive in the same computer, but not necessarily to another drive and/or another computer. That is, you will have a restored image, but not necessarily a working copy of Studio 2011.

Basically, if you restore on the same drive, it should work (it's one of the very few Nalpeiron advantages).
If you restore on a different drive (which is basically the major disk image purpose...), the license will be lost even if you copy the Nalpeiron related data from the first track (the serial number of the physical hard drive is also checked, if the data doesn't match, Nalpeiron will refuse to work).

In this fatal scenario, the complete removal of the activation data for not working Studio is somehow tricky (I was forced to do so on one of my machines because of some problems with the license server), the stuff is not documented at all for obvious reasons, so it's very unlikely a system image with an activated Nalpeiron crap will really help you with Trados 2011 if your hard disk crashes physically.
Unless you're kind a little guru, of course.
IMO this system is unreliable and probably extremely annoying if a harder problem occurs.

Cheers
GG

Mariana Rohlig Sa
Mariana Rohlig Sa  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Mar 20, 2012

for your input. Unfortunately I am no little Guru. But I will post my question in the designated forum and hope for a satisfactory answer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will a system image also save my CAT tool?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »