Thread poster: Michaela Pizzinini
Michaela Pizzinini
Michaela Pizzinini  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:03
German to French
+ ...
Apr 26, 2012

Hello everybody,

I'm new here and I'd like to know your opinion about Wordfast and Trados, what is better to use ? And wich version ? I don't have any of them.

Thank you for your advice.
Have a nice day

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 1 day
Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
MetaTexis is another option Apr 26, 2012

Hello Michaela,

MetaTexis for Word is another option (easy to use, good value for money). You can install a trial version anytime:

www.metatexis.com/download.php

Best regards
Hermann

Vneditor
Vneditor  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 16:03
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Trados 2007 Apr 27, 2012

Hi Michaela,

Trados is by far the more popular of the 2 programs, particularly Trados 2007 with Tag Editor. I have had quite a few clients who specifically requested me to translate in their TTX files. I personally hate it though, too cumbersome, too many "features" that I never use, too many bugs.

My main CAT tool now is MemoQ, and it's a blast to use. You can install it and start translating almost immediately, only caring about the details & settings once you get the
... See more
Hi Michaela,

Trados is by far the more popular of the 2 programs, particularly Trados 2007 with Tag Editor. I have had quite a few clients who specifically requested me to translate in their TTX files. I personally hate it though, too cumbersome, too many "features" that I never use, too many bugs.

My main CAT tool now is MemoQ, and it's a blast to use. You can install it and start translating almost immediately, only caring about the details & settings once you get the hang of things. Quite efficient I'd say.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ - Definitely Apr 27, 2012

I have never used Wordfast, but memoQ would be my first option.

Do not limit yourself to just two options. Get to know more tools to make a better decision.

You haven't told us about what kind of work you do. The types of jobs and files you get and your customers' requirements play a vital role in choosing a tool.

OlivierParrot
OlivierParrot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Which field? Apr 27, 2012

Many CAT tools offer free trial versions, have you tried some test projects with a few of them, to see what style you like? Working with tools that don't feel good to you can be quite a burden.

Then like Tomas said, the fields you work in are paramount. To give you an example, I work a lot in IT, and Trados is mandatory for a number of my clients... Regardless of my own opinion about it.

[Edited at 2012-04-27 06:21 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a note Apr 27, 2012

OlivierParrot wrote:
Then like Tomas said, the fields you work in are paramount. To give you an example, I work a lot in IT, and Trados is mandatory for a number of my clients... Regardless of my own opinion about it.

I just thought I'd mention that you can perfectly translate Trados' files with other tools. For instance, I only use SDL Studio 2011 when I must, but in most cases I simply translate SDLXLIFF and TTX files in memoQ without a glitch. So despite the fact that you might have to own Trados in case of an emergency, you are not really that tied to it.

Ragland Inbaraj
Ragland Inbaraj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:33
English to Tamil
+ ...
Its mostly client-specific Apr 27, 2012

When we work with agencies we get Job requests with any of the CAT tool requirements. With that point of view, most of my clients ask for SDL Trados. I love to work with Trados always.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Download the free trial versions Apr 27, 2012

It is very much a matter of taste. So if you have time, download the trial versions and try them out.

I found Wordfast Classic simpler and more intuitive than Trados, and would recommend it for beginners who have never used a CAT before.

Trados 6.5 and 2007 were excellent, but are no longer updated. They have compatibility issues with later versions of the Microsoft Office files, and possibly with others. Office Suite 2003 on XP is fine, but there are glitches with 2007
... See more
It is very much a matter of taste. So if you have time, download the trial versions and try them out.

I found Wordfast Classic simpler and more intuitive than Trados, and would recommend it for beginners who have never used a CAT before.

Trados 6.5 and 2007 were excellent, but are no longer updated. They have compatibility issues with later versions of the Microsoft Office files, and possibly with others. Office Suite 2003 on XP is fine, but there are glitches with 2007 and onwards.
I like Studio 2011, which is totally different, and which handles older formats too.

I always thought TagEditor in the 'old' Trados suite was a pain. Some of my clients still use .ttx files and TagEditor, but Studio 2011 handles most of them well in the user-friendly interface.

Along the way I had a lot of trouble with Trados updates, and on one occasion went over to Wordfast Classic on my laptop to meet a deadline, while my IT man was struggling to get Trados to work on the main computer. I had Wordfast Classic up and running unaided before he managed to sort Trados out!

I stayed with Wordfast for one client, and for Excel and PowerPoint files - it was easier to work with for those files, and at one stage would open Excel files that Trados would not open on my setup.
The specific client's project ended, and now Studio handles Excel and PowerPoint with all its other advantages, so I have not kept my Wordfast TMs up to date, and no longer use them.

I very much prefer the Trados glossary feature, Multiterm, though it can be temperamental. The Wordfast glossary is simpler, but that is not an advantage for the ways I use it. Some people make far less use of the glossary function, or use it in different ways.

So now I use Studio 2011 whenever I can.

I have not had time to try out MemoQ, and I never managed to get Wordfast Pro to work...

It is probably worth spending the time trying out several programs to find what suits you.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Short answers Apr 27, 2012

Michaela Pizzinini wrote:
I'm new here and I'd like to know your opinion about Wordfast and Trados, what is better to use ? And wich version ? I don't have any of them.

Trados 2009 is the best one of the those, but hardly any of my agency jobs are in the Trados 2009 format. Most of my Trados clients use Trados 2007. So if you do get Trados, make sure that Trados 2007 is part of the package that you buy.

If you do mostly MS Word files and you mostly won't work for agencies, then I suggest Wordfast Classic as the best balance between simplicity and feature richness. Wordfast Pro is almost as good as Trados 2009, and it is smaller and less invasive on your computer.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
SDLXIFF in MemoQ - be careful Apr 28, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I just thought I'd mention that you can perfectly translate Trados' files with other tools. For instance, I only use SDL Studio 2011 when I must, but in most cases I simply translate SDLXLIFF and TTX files in memoQ without a glitch.

I translated an SDLXLIFF file in MemoQ just once, and the client complained that sth was wrong with the file on the technical side (not the quality of my translation), and they got me a license for Studio 2011 Starter.

Regards,

Piotr

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Both Apr 28, 2012

Since I started out I have been using Wf and Trados. Trados/SDLX I use for occasions where the customer sends me the pre-translated files, Wfc and wfp when I'm free to choose the tool. Probably Metatexis is good also, but I never came around to actually use it.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:03
Finnish to French
It's not a binary choice Apr 30, 2012

It's like asking which car should you buy: a Mercedes or a BMW? These are not the only brands available: what about Volkswagen, Audi, Toyota, Renault etc., which all make cars that offer as much value (if not more) and will take you from point A to point B. Asking people won't help you, because some swear by one tool and others swear by another tool. In the end, it's *you* who's going to be using the tool, so you should find out which tool is best suited for *your* needs and *your* way of working.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Original post hidden May 9, 2012

Hello everybody,

Thank you for your advice.
Have a nice day

For some reason my original post was hidden by the moderators. I don't remember what it contained now, but I imagine I slagged off Trados in favour of Wordfast. I thought the asker wanted subjective opinions.

Sorry if I rattled any cages there

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and Trados (best choice)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »