John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:56
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2012

What's the best way to use Wordfast Classic with a proofreader?

Is there some way to mark a segment as translated but not proofread? It should be a setting that would show in someway but without preventing the TM from being updated, etc. Then once proofread it should update the TM with any changes by the proofreader and mark the segment as having been proofread.

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it... May 2, 2012

not possible?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Provisional segments May 2, 2012

John Fossey wrote:
Is there some way to mark a segment as translated but not proofread?

The only such setting that I'm aware of is "provisional segments", but I get the impression that it is more trouble than it is worth:

http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Classic_Main_Shortcuts

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
F10 doesn't do it May 2, 2012

I do use F10 occasionally, but it marks a segment provisional but doesn't add it to the TM, so it doesn't work for this purpose - it would mean that in the case of any repeats the TM would not find anything.

Thanks, anyway.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:56
Finnish to French
No notion of segment status in Wordfast Classic May 2, 2012

John Fossey wrote:
not possible?

In Wordfast Classic, a segment pair is either in the TM, or it is not. And a segment in a Word document is either segmented or not segmented. There is no such thing as a "segment status", besides the provisional segment feature, which you said doesn't cut it for you. So I'm afraid you will have to look elsewhere for your proofreading needs, or devise your own system (since Wordfast hasn't got it built-in).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When I proofread in WFC May 2, 2012

John Fossey wrote:
What's the best way to use Wordfast Classic with a proofreader?

I'm not really sure what it is that you're trying to achieve. Can you explain to us what your workflow would be?

When I'm asked to prooread an uncleaned RTF file, I basically start with an empty TM and I move through the segments, starting from the top. If it is the type of document where only essential changes should be made, I add any change that I make to the glossary, so that similar phrases in other segments get marked by the glossary feature. Whenver I want to stop, I just add "###" to the current segment and close it, so that I can find it again. If I had made changes to segments without opening/closing them, I clean up the finished segments every hour or so (by creating a copy of the file and deleting the unproofread segments first).

If I want to have my uncleaned RTF file proofread by someone who does not use WFC, I convert the uncleaned RTF file into a two-column MS Word file, and ask them to use Tracked Changes. Later I convert the edited file back to an uncleaned format and clean it up so that it gets added to a fresh TM. I then run through my own translation, using the fresh TM, knowing that WFC will stop when it encounters a segment that is different from what is in the TM.

If I have to proofread an uncleaned file, and there were many 95-100% matches from an existing TM, then I first review those segments (with the latest version of WFC, you have to change the { to e.g. [[[ for the segments that you don't want to open when you pass them by, otherwise WFC will open those segments even if the entire segment is marked tw4winExternal).

Another method that I have used when editing an uncleaned RTF file is to clean it up (to create a TM with all the segments from it), and then I revert the entire file back to the source language. I then change the user ID in the TM to something like "OLD" and I penalise OLD with e.g. 30%. I then translate the RTF file using the TM, as if I'm translating with MT (i.e. the matches served from the TM are really the translator's translations, but they are penalised by 30%, so my own edits get added to the TM without penalties, and whenever I get a match higher than 30% I can quickly cycle to see what the translator's translation was and compare it to the fuzzy match that is served from my own translations).

[Edited at 2012-05-02 23:45 GMT]

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds practical May 3, 2012

Samuel, that sounds like a very effective procedure. I hadn't thought of using a blank TM when proofreading but of course it would have the effect you describe. I'll try out what you suggest.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading with Wordfast Classic

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »