Thread poster: Don Hartig
Don Hartig
Don Hartig  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:35
Chinese to English
+ ...
May 25, 2012

Hi, Trados experts

I am using Trados Studio to try to open a ttx source file (CH - EN) for the first time, but when the "Open Document" window, in which the source and target languages are supposed to be selected, appears, it auto detects the source language as FR and the drop-down arrow on the right is greyed out. I have tried the Tools>Options>Editor>Languages and then change default source language when open route, as well as disabling and enabling the "Prompt for document
... See more
Hi, Trados experts

I am using Trados Studio to try to open a ttx source file (CH - EN) for the first time, but when the "Open Document" window, in which the source and target languages are supposed to be selected, appears, it auto detects the source language as FR and the drop-down arrow on the right is greyed out. I have tried the Tools>Options>Editor>Languages and then change default source language when open route, as well as disabling and enabling the "Prompt for document languages if they cannot be auto detected" option, but all to no avail.

When I try to open the document as a project and get to the "New Project/Project Files" window in which files are supposed to be added, and select the ttx file, there is an error message which says "The source language of the file (French (France)) is different from the project source language" too, so whatever I do, the source language cannot be changed.

As I mentioned, this is the first time I am trying to open a ttx file directly in Studio. Could this have to do with the problem?

Forgive me if I am overlooking something obvious but I would really appreciate any advice from anyone who knows what to do as it is rather urgent.

Thank you!

Don
Collapse

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:35
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
quite easy May 25, 2012

In Notepad, open the ttx file and search for SourceLanguage=”FR”. Replace “FR” with “CH“.

I hope it helps!

[Edited at 2012-05-25 00:43 GMT]

Don Hartig
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing changes using notepad edit method May 25, 2012

Hi!

Thanks, Marilena! I tried that already, but nothing changes though. Is there any way to change the source language when creating the TTX in TagEditor though? I assume this might be the problem because when opened with TagEditor, the source is also French.

Thanks.

Don

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:35
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm sorry that didn't work for you May 25, 2012

I have Studio 2011 and it worked fine. Did you create a new project with the ttx that you saved?

Have a look at this blog:

http://blog.cinciala.eu/?p=149

I found this thr
... See more
I have Studio 2011 and it worked fine. Did you create a new project with the ttx that you saved?

Have a look at this blog:

http://blog.cinciala.eu/?p=149

I found this thread and look at Vladimir's post!!

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/26208-urgent:_tag_editor_target_language_does_not_match_tm.html

[Edited at 2012-05-25 01:12 GMT]
Collapse

Don Hartig
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another approach May 25, 2012

Thanks again Marilena

Yes, I had previously read and followed that blog's advice too, changing the source and target languages manually with notepad, but no result.

This is what happened:

I have a client who wants an unclean file in TTX, so following all the advice on the forums, I used 2007 to open the doc source file using TagEditor so that I could save it as a TTX file and then open it in 2009, translate it and then resave it as a translated TTX file.... See more
Thanks again Marilena

Yes, I had previously read and followed that blog's advice too, changing the source and target languages manually with notepad, but no result.

This is what happened:

I have a client who wants an unclean file in TTX, so following all the advice on the forums, I used 2007 to open the doc source file using TagEditor so that I could save it as a TTX file and then open it in 2009, translate it and then resave it as a translated TTX file.

Saving the doc file as a TTX document worked fine but when I try to open it in 2009, the first window which appears (i.e. the one in which one is supposed to select the source and target languages) has the drop-down arrow to the right of the source language tab greyed out, so the source language cannot be changed from, in this case, French to Chinese (the source document is Chinese).

I am now also wondering where the problem is initiated. Because when I open the original doc document for conversion in 2007 TagEditor, the languages set are also FR - EN and I don't know whether this can be changed either.

Anyway, good news is I FINALLY managed to open it in Studio just now by creating a new project in 2007 and specifying the source/target languages again there, then saving it as a TTX again, then opening it in 2009 (although I am sure this did not work the first time).

I would still like to know how to actually specify the source and target languages of projects opened in TagEditor, if this is even possible. I am have never really used it before, but I suspect that the problem might lie with TagEditor, since that is where the TTX is created and I assume that since the source/target languages are already wrong, and apparently unchangeable there, this is the reason why 2009's "auto-detected" wrong source language cannot be changed either when opening the TTX file. If you have any ideas on this, I would be curious to know too. Once again, I might be overlooking something obvious, though, since I have not really used TagEditor before.

Thanks

Don
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change language when wrong language is auto detected

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »