Thread poster: Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:22
French to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2012

I just discovered Systran was installed during the last upgrade at the law firm where I work. I normally work with WordFast and was surprised to find this on the computer. Frankly, I have no idea how it works and can't decide whether to put in the effort to find out. What do you think?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not the same thing Jun 13, 2012

Systran is an MT tool. It translates automatically, with results sort of like Google translate, i. e. patchy, but (aprt for the way it works) the main difference is that it is a stand-alone program so you don't need an internet connection to use it. You can use it along with WF without problems.

AFAIK it doesn't have a TM function, but can work alongside TM software.

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, I understand now Jun 13, 2012

Thanks, I didn't know what it was. Now I do.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A curate's egg Jun 13, 2012

Mark Hamlen wrote:

Thanks, I didn't know what it was. Now I do.

Personally, if I was working in-house and they installed a translation tool without consulting or at least telling me about it, I'd be quite miffed.

I do still use Systran myself sometimes, but I much prefer the older (early 90s) version which worked on a copy and paste principle. The more recent "upgrades" seem more fiddly and less satisfying, with too many bells and whistles.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:22
Finnish to French
Systran & Wordfast, via iTranslate4.eu Jun 24, 2012

Mark Hamlen wrote:
I just discovered Systran was installed during the last upgrade at the law firm where I work. I normally work with WordFast and was surprised to find this on the computer. Frankly, I have no idea how it works and can't decide whether to put in the effort to find out. What do you think?

You can have Systran integrated into Wordfast (Classic and Anywhere, but not Pro) via iTranslate4.eu, which offers access to Systran (and other similar MT services) on a subscription basis. See http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/04/22/itranslate4eu-in-wordfast-classic/ for more information. You can try it for free (10,000 characters). Based on my observations, both Google Translate and Microsoft Translator are better (most of the time) than Systran for EN > FR.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Systran, worth the bother?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »