How to add a Trados TM to Helium?
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 18, 2012

Hi, I'm new to Helium (6.1.6) and can't seem to find a way to add a Trados TM to it. I know it must be possible. Any help?

Update: I have SDL Trados 2007 installed.

[Edited at 2012-07-18 08:46 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partial solution: TM = "Glossary" in Helium parlance Jul 18, 2012

I found the answer (partial, as it happened to be): TMs are called "glossaries" in Helium, so it's Tools > Options > Lookup > Glossaries > Add.

However, I could not add a TM that way - Helium complained that it needs MS LocStudio. Then I proceeded to install LocStudio 6.1, but it wouldn't install because of .NET 2.0 was allegedly not installed. I tried to install .NET 2.0 from Microsoft own website, but it refused to install telling me that it's not supported on Vista (yes, I do hav
... See more
I found the answer (partial, as it happened to be): TMs are called "glossaries" in Helium, so it's Tools > Options > Lookup > Glossaries > Add.

However, I could not add a TM that way - Helium complained that it needs MS LocStudio. Then I proceeded to install LocStudio 6.1, but it wouldn't install because of .NET 2.0 was allegedly not installed. I tried to install .NET 2.0 from Microsoft own website, but it refused to install telling me that it's not supported on Vista (yes, I do have Vista and like it).

I did a little research on ProZ and found out that I actually need LocStudio 4.8. It wouldn't install either because of the same .NET problem. A registry hack suggested by one Pro user allowed me to install LocStudio, but then Helium would crash on loading a project. There was another suggestion - to uninstall all .NET versions and reinstall them starting from 1.1, but I was afraid to do that because I have critical applications that depend on .NET 3.5 and 4.0.

In the end, I had to install Windows XP, Trados 2007, LocStudio 4.8 and Helium in a Virtualbox VM. Only after that I could select a Trados TM to use in Helium.
Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: solved by uninstalling .NET 4.0 then installing LocStudio Jul 27, 2012

I decided to try uninstalling .NET 4.0. After that I could install LocStudio 4.8 and Helium 6.1 and then successfully add a Trados TM in Helium. Finally I re-installed .NET 4.0 using a standalone installer, and now everything seems to work.

Problem solved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add a Trados TM to Helium?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »