Cristina Mazzucchelli
Cristina Mazzucchelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 8, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I have just received a job to be done in SDLX. No problem with that (except it took me one entire day to make it work on my new machine with Win 7 x64 OS)!

Anyway, the problem is that the customer sent me a terminology database to be checked, which is in .mdb. I tried to open it with Multi Term but the system tells me that the file was created with a new version of the software (I think w
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have just received a job to be done in SDLX. No problem with that (except it took me one entire day to make it work on my new machine with Win 7 x64 OS)!

Anyway, the problem is that the customer sent me a terminology database to be checked, which is in .mdb. I tried to open it with Multi Term but the system tells me that the file was created with a new version of the software (I think with Multi Term 2011) which of course is not supported on my Multi Term 2009.

I don't know what to do... Do you know whether it is possible to save the .mdb file as a "downgraded" version which is readable either with Multi Term or with Term Base (since I'm using SDLX it would be the wisest thing to do, I guess...)

The customer also sent me an .rtf version of the .mdb file, but it is very lenghty to be aligned...

Do you have a solution to my problem? The only thing that I can do now is use the Search tool on the .rft file, but I'd rather use another tool!

What do you think?

Many thanks in advance to everybody!

Cristina
Collapse

MedPharm
MedPharm  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is possible to downgrade .mdb databases back to 2000 format. Aug 8, 2012

Using Microsoft Office 2007.

I use Windows 7 64 and other systems, but I think it more depends on the software than the machine in this case.

Once you have it back to 2000 or 2003 format, you can then test it with the software and see how it goes.

You just have to Save as:..............................

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that... Aug 8, 2012

... but I still receive the following message:

This termbase cannot be opened because it has been created with a newer version of Multi Term. Consider updating your installation.

*_*

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
If you own Studio 2011 Aug 8, 2012

you can simply open this legacy TM (and re-save).

But if you are supposed to work in SDLX, simply add it in SDLX as your TM - this is a TM for SDLX.

Natalia

[Edited at 2012-08-08 16:07 GMT]

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately... Aug 8, 2012

... I don't own Studio 2011, but only 2009.

It is true that the format is also the one for SDLX TMs, but the customer already provided me with another TM and asked me to use the other file as a terminology database specifically.

I was also thinking of exporting that .mdb into a .txt and using a Workbench TM to keep them separate, but I don't know if it is possible at all!

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
But why don't you use SDLX? Aug 8, 2012

Open your file in it, add the TM and TDB... what's the problem?

Cristina Mazzucchelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX won't recognize the format. Aug 8, 2012

Of course opening it in SDLX was my very first option, but unfortunately when I open the file in Edit, then open the relevant TM and try to open the termbase, SDLX won't allow me and tells me that it doesn't recognize the format of the terminology database.
Am I doing something wrong here?

Please help!

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Ask the client Aug 8, 2012

Cristina, the best way is asking the client: explain them that the file cannot be opened and ask to re-send. Maybe it is corrupted, who knows?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert a .mdb file into something easily "searchable"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »