Natallia Bykhautsava
Natallia Bykhautsava  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:19
Belarusian to Russian
+ ...
Aug 10, 2012

Hello,

I need to translate a document which is in Latin and Belarusian (2 languages) to another language (1). Is it possible to do it with any CAT tool choosing more than one source language? I didn't find any information if Trados and MemoQ provide such an opportunity. If it is not possible, then I would like your advice on how to do such kind of translations?

Thanks!

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Change the language combination as you go along Aug 10, 2012

Hello Tascia,

in some CAT tools you can change the language combination as go go along. For example, in MetaTexis for Word you can change the language combination as appropriate via the Document Options.

Alternatively, you can translate the complete document with one language combinations, and later, when you are finished, you can change the language combination in the TM (which is also possible in MetaTexis for Word).

Whether such changes are possible in o
... See more
Hello Tascia,

in some CAT tools you can change the language combination as go go along. For example, in MetaTexis for Word you can change the language combination as appropriate via the Document Options.

Alternatively, you can translate the complete document with one language combinations, and later, when you are finished, you can change the language combination in the TM (which is also possible in MetaTexis for Word).

Whether such changes are possible in other CAT tools I cannot tell.

Best regards
Hermann
Collapse

Natallia Bykhautsava
Natallia Bykhautsava  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Belarusian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! And what about Trados and MemoQ? Aug 10, 2012

Thank you, Hermann. It is useful to know that, though I don't use this CAT tool. can this Cat tool be useful in the situation I describe below?

I have the possibility to use MemoQ and Trados 2011.

I would like to ask someone who knows how it is better to manage multi language files. I got 6 documents from 1 client and the language pairs there are quite different. Example, in one doc - Italian to Russian, the second one - Belarusian/Latin to Italian, and there are some
... See more
Thank you, Hermann. It is useful to know that, though I don't use this CAT tool. can this Cat tool be useful in the situation I describe below?

I have the possibility to use MemoQ and Trados 2011.

I would like to ask someone who knows how it is better to manage multi language files. I got 6 documents from 1 client and the language pairs there are quite different. Example, in one doc - Italian to Russian, the second one - Belarusian/Latin to Italian, and there are some from Russian to Italian and from Belarusian to Italian. I would like to do all these translations in one project, but unfortunately each project is designed for one language pair.

The variety is due to the specificity of the client - it's a Catholic Church which uses documents in Latin, Belarusian and Russian (sometimes one document is composed in 2 languages) and needs to translate them to Italian.

Does this mean that I have to create a separate project for almost each file (in Trados and MemoQ)? Can someone give any advice? I suppose I am not the only one who have such projects with multi-language translation.

Thanks!
Natallia
Collapse

christela (X)
christela (X)
Wordfast Classic Aug 10, 2012

If the source files are in Word (whatever the version), you can use WF Classic. You don't have to set up a project for each language, just open the Word file, set up a TM (indicate one of the language pairs) and work from the beginning to the end without changing anything. The resulting TM will be in several language pairs.
Although this is not where CATs are meant for, the procedure is highly efficient, especially if there are lots of repetitions and if the source languages have a certai
... See more
If the source files are in Word (whatever the version), you can use WF Classic. You don't have to set up a project for each language, just open the Word file, set up a TM (indicate one of the language pairs) and work from the beginning to the end without changing anything. The resulting TM will be in several language pairs.
Although this is not where CATs are meant for, the procedure is highly efficient, especially if there are lots of repetitions and if the source languages have a certain degree of resemblance.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of multi-language files in CAT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »