Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
CAT Tool for one huge project
Thread poster: Zamjestnanec
Zamjestnanec
Zamjestnanec
Local time: 11:53
Sep 21, 2012

Hello guys,

I´ve been digging my way through some forums now, maybe somebody here can give me some additional information.

Maybe its best if I just describe my situation:

We at our software company have our own translation section of 6 people, the software is being translated into European as well as Asian languages. Some 30000 Labels, 20000 Messages, thousands upon thousands of pages of documentation, our translators are working on only one huge
... See more
Hello guys,

I´ve been digging my way through some forums now, maybe somebody here can give me some additional information.

We at our software company have our own translation section of 6 people, the software is being translated into European as well as Asian languages. Some 30000 Labels, 20000 Messages, thousands upon thousands of pages of documentation, our translators are working on only one huge project.
We did not use any software so far and are looking for a comprehensive approach.

I did compare 3 solutions, Trados, Memoq, and Deja Vu.

Could anybody here make a sound suggestion which one to choose, maybe with some background information?

Oh, and: Why does everybody seem to hate Trados? I tried the Studio 2011 version and it worked quite well for me. What is superior about Memoq or DVX?

Thanks a lot for any answer,
Stefan
Collapse

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience Sep 21, 2012

Hi Stefan,

I worked with all three tools and from my experience I would not work with Deja Vu unless the job paid very very well.
Trados is alright but I find MemoQ a lot more user friendly, so whenever the client does not tell me anything about CAT tools, I tend to use MemoQ.

Paula

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 05:53
English to Finnish
+ ...
DejaVu or MemoQ Sep 21, 2012

I use DejaVu for one specific reason: It has a feature called "assemble". I accumulate terms, and fractions of sentences in a terminology database as I go. I ask DejaVu to assemble a phrase from these fragments and leave in source language what I don't have in my terminology database (yet). Towards the end of a project, virtually everything becomes "fuzzies" with minimal editing to do. I have been told that MemoQ can do the same, but others can't.

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:53
Member (2002)
English to German
MemoQ Sep 21, 2012

MemoQ is the newest software of these three and you can tell (btw I own all three packages).
The reasons why I prefer it:
- It has many export and import functions. I use it as an interface between Star Transit, Wordfast and Trados projects.
- It is lean and fast and modern
- The user interface works better for me
- Unbelievable customer service. For SDL customer service is basically non-existent. When I bought 2009 I couldn't make it work consistently on three diff
... See more
MemoQ is the newest software of these three and you can tell (btw I own all three packages).
The reasons why I prefer it:
- It has many export and import functions. I use it as an interface between Star Transit, Wordfast and Trados projects.
- It is lean and fast and modern
- The user interface works better for me
- Unbelievable customer service. For SDL customer service is basically non-existent. When I bought 2009 I couldn't make it work consistently on three different computers. Despite having purchased support (!) they couldn't help me and finally refunded my money.

I gave up on DV after I had to redo a big project in Trados after not being able to export it again properly from DV.

Good luck

Andy
www.interlations.com
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
memoQ Sep 21, 2012

In our office we have four people working on memoQ full time on many projects and often all in one same large project for many days, and for a really cost-effective server solution we get excellent results.

I would definitely get in touch with Kilgray to explain your situation. I reckon SDL Studio + server by SDL will cost you a lot more and will be more cumbersome to use, or at least that is our experience.

Honestly one must wonder how you have survived without a serve
... See more
In our office we have four people working on memoQ full time on many projects and often all in one same large project for many days, and for a really cost-effective server solution we get excellent results.

I would definitely get in touch with Kilgray to explain your situation. I reckon SDL Studio + server by SDL will cost you a lot more and will be more cumbersome to use, or at least that is our experience.

Honestly one must wonder how you have survived without a server-based CAT solution up to now! Well, I think I know what it must have looked like: inconsistencies, repeated work, difficult control of terminology, style unity trouble...
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 17:53
English to Italian
+ ...
My 2 cents Sep 22, 2012

Zamjestnanec wrote:

Hello guys,

We at our software company have our own translation section of 6 people, the software is being translated into European as well as Asian languages. Some 30000 Labels, 20000 Messages, thousands upon thousands of pages of documentation, our translators are working on only one huge project.
We did not use any software so far and are looking for a comprehensive approach.

I did compare 3 solutions, Trados, Memoq, and Deja Vu.

Could anybody here make a sound suggestion which one to choose, maybe with some background information?

Oh, and: Why does everybody seem to hate Trados? I tried the Studio 2011 version and it worked quite well for me. What is superior about Memoq or DVX?

Thanks a lot for any answer,
Stefan

Based on my long experience with Trados/Studio products and with the little experience i have gained to date with my MemoQ, i'd go for MemoQ. There are many reasons for this, some of which already mentioned by others. Apart from that i found out it's more complete; it also has an integrated term extracting function.
It's user friendly: easier to setup, quicker to handle i started a project in 5 minutes the first time i used it. No strange nested menus but clear, simple menus that guide you to the basic things you need to work without need for courses, and rocket engineering degrees.
Fully customizable: it allows me to do more things than i can with SDL/Trados products at a relatively lower price (Edit source without limitations being the most important for me). It's not without flaws but it gives me the freedom i need; last but not least, i do get quick support when in trouble, which to date has allowed me to save money in at least one occasion. I have no experience at all with DejaVu so can't help there. MQ conversion tools are amazing, updates are regular and patches come quick (which is essential in some cases).
The only side i am not liking in a side to side MemoQ/Studio comparison is i like more Studio's Interface for working (It's clearer to me), while MemoQ has a flickering cursor issue and uses too many colours to identify different things that, to date, slowed me down while translating (I assume it can be improved with further customization though). For the rest, as things are now, i'd go for MemoQ, especially if you want a complete solution and are on a budget. At the moment, i personally consider MQ as the best value for money Cat Tool on the market, especially considering it gives you a really all in one CAT environment (consider terminology extraction tools are sold as separate solutions at what often is an outrageous price, as well the many conversion tools), without forgetting you get actual help from the support team if you have troubles.

[Edited at 2012-09-22 17:31 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Count your pennies Sep 22, 2012

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:
At the moment, i personally consider MQ as the best value for money Cat Tool on the market

Well, € 80 will buy them CafeTran which boasts all the features DejaVu, Trados and that other one offer combined, and more.

Cheers,

Hans

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Trados = Microsoft Sep 22, 2012

Zamjestnanec wrote:

I can't answer the first part of your question as I have no experience of such large projects, but to answer the last part my feeling is that SDL are viewed by translators rather as Microsoft are viewed by the general IT-using public - they have a huge market share and are so powerful that they can afford to change their entire interface apparently on a marketing whim and their customers simply have to go along with it.

That's true, but it's also true that the world would be a much poorer place without Word. I'm not suggesting that Trados is as earth-shattering as the Office suite, but I think there are some parallels! Personally I'm a fan of Trados, but I've never tried MemoQ and I have heard good things about it.

Jane

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not quite the same Sep 22, 2012

JaneD wrote:
I can't answer the first part of your question as I have no experience of such large projects, but to answer the last part my feeling is that SDL are viewed by translators rather as Microsoft are viewed by the general IT-using public - they have a huge market share and are so powerful that they can afford to change their entire interface apparently on a marketing whim and their customers simply have to go along with it.

I do not quite agree with this assertion. The fact that SDL (or Trados in the days of the German company) is considered by many as a foe and not a friend is the result of the lack of a true drive for innovation for many years, poor support, and incredibly high prices (I have paid 2400 euros a piece for single licenses of Trados in the past, with no right of upgrade; buying a server product was completely out of the question).

If many consider SDL's solutions a no-go is not because they were probably the biggest by far for many years; it is not politically-correct, naïve dislike for big corporate America as with Microsoft: it is a direct result of the experience each individual translator has had with SDL's products, prices, and/or support.

[Edited at 2012-09-22 20:39 GMT]

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 17:53
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree Sep 23, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

JaneD wrote:

I do not quite agree with this assertion. The fact that SDL (or Trados in the days of the German company) is considered by many as a foe and not a friend is the result of the lack of a true drive for innovation for many years, poor support, and incredibly high prices (I have paid 2400 euros a piece for single licenses of Trados in the past, with no right of upgrade; buying a server product was completely out of the question).

If many consider SDL's solutions a no-go is not because they were probably the biggest by far for many years; it is not politically-correct, naïve dislike for big corporate America as with Microsoft: it is a direct result of the experience each individual translator has had with SDL's products, prices, and/or support.

[Edited at 2012-09-22 20:39 GMT]

I endorse your version better. I use Studio and think i will keep using it along with other solutions. However i never considered them from a friend/foe perspective. I value user experience and service. While on user experience i can say i am somewhat ok (although not happy), the approach they have on service, licensing strategy and related problems, together with the fact i can't get hold of support when i need make me feel like an unwanted customer. Apart from that, the lacks the CAT has and SDL delays (or lack of acknowledgment, i don't know) in fixing them made me waste a lot of money this year. I can't skip on that anymore. I had to change platform and added up MemoQ. It's not perfect, however i do manage to open all files, convert everything i need and manipulate my source segments and when i send an email to support i do get feedback that helps. Studio to me is a sort of APPLE of CATs. You buy it, but it's really never yours. No irrational hatred here. Simple comparison between user experience, value for money and what does better for me. I focus on productivity. Your CAT works good without need of support, certifications and else? Sounds fine to me. You make my life more complicated? I look for alternatives. Simple as that.

[Edited at 2012-09-23 04:32 GMT]

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Some DéjàVu benefits Sep 23, 2012

I'm afraid I cannot offer much in the way of a tools comparison, as I have been happily using DéjàVu (DV) for around ten years now. I am forced to use Trados now and then, but I don't have the latest version, and there's no point in comparing previous versions (which were a joke from the translator's workflow perspective, which is why many of us hate it being forced on us by outsourcers).

While other tools have caught up in recent years, DV still offers some unique features. AutoA
... See more
I'm afraid I cannot offer much in the way of a tools comparison, as I have been happily using DéjàVu (DV) for around ten years now. I am forced to use Trados now and then, but I don't have the latest version, and there's no point in comparing previous versions (which were a joke from the translator's workflow perspective, which is why many of us hate it being forced on us by outsourcers).

While other tools have caught up in recent years, DV still offers some unique features. AutoAssemble has been mentioned above. What I love personally is the ease with which you can process several – or even hundreds of – files (of different types if needed) in one go, in one unified interface, batch-importing and batch-exporting them.

DéjàVu stores the project in an SQL database, meaning you can filter the entire project, with all files, for segments with a specific term. Filtering and sorting works in a breeze. You can filter based on your own SQL clauses, and you can even modify the segments by executing update SQL commands. If need be, you can even open the project file as a Microsoft Access database, making any kind of changes you can imagine. Coming from the software industry, you might well come to appreciate that flexibility which no other tool can match.

SQL access to the segments also offers some great options for your individual quality assurance checks.

The "Lexicon", which is a project-specific glossary on top of your regular terminology and translation databases, is another unique feature that for some is a deal-maker in favour of DéjàVu (I don't use it very much myself).

DV used to have import filters (for different file types) inferior to some other offerings. They have now caught up in most cases and even offer some unique features like processing HTML code embedded in the text (so you really only see text in your segments and not HTML codes or entities) or excluding text from the import based on regex rules.

But in the end, you'll likely end up with two or three CAT tools anyway, using all of them where they excel. That's what even many freelancers do, and if you're an operation of reasonable size, it applies even more.

Endre
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
Finnish to French
Freelancer vs. corporate Sep 23, 2012

Endre Both wrote:
But in the end, you'll likely end up with two or three CAT tools anyway, using all of them where they excel. That's what even many freelancers do, and if you're an operation of reasonable size, it applies even more.

The original poster said he worked for a software company. A corporate user will most likely want to settle on a single tool, as they are going to use it for their own purposes, not to please several clients that each require different tools.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Unique? Sep 23, 2012

Endre Both wrote:

While other tools have caught up in recent years, DV still offers some unique features. AutoAssemble has been mentioned above. What I love personally is the ease with which you can process several – or even hundreds of – files (of different types if needed) in one go, in one unified interface, batch-importing and batch-exporting them.

DéjàVu stores the project in an SQL database, meaning you can filter the entire project, with all files, for segments with a specific term. Filtering and sorting works in a breeze.

The "Lexicon", which is a project-specific glossary on top of your regular terminology and translation databases, is another unique feature that for some is a deal-maker in favour of DéjàVu (I don't use it very much myself).

Well, none of the features you mention (beside AutoAssemble) are "unique"... Batch processing and filtering is supported both by new Trados and MemoQ. Also, MQ term extraction is much better than Lexicon - the latter, unless there have been some new developments since I saw it, does not provide stop words, concordance view etc.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
Swedish to English
+ ...
Project manager / freelance translator Sep 23, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
The original poster said he worked for a software company. A corporate user will most likely want to settle on a single tool, as they are going to use it for their own purposes, not to please several clients that each require different tools.

Dominique Pivard raises an important point – what Stefan needs is project management software, in other words the corporate version of for instance Trados, not the freelance version. All the other suggestions have looked at this from a freelance translator's perspective – whether they like the software or not. That is largely irrelevant.

[Edited at 2012-09-23 09:40 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Exactly Sep 23, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
The original poster said he worked for a software company.

So they'll probably also want to translate software stings.
Cross-platform, can handle just about all file formats including software strings, unlimited number of databases (TMs, terminology and glossaries) with priority settings, integration of Internet resources, project management, all the features the other tools offer and more, for €80 for one licence, CafeTran
It's almost humiliating to ask for a discount for six licences if the price is that low, but you can give it a try.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tool for one huge project

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »