Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
See you in the CafeTran forum Sep 30, 2012

Hi Michael,

I'll answer some of your questions in the CafeTran forum.

See you in that bar? (I'm the guy with the white rose, sitting at the window table.)

Cheers,

Hans

http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/233969-some_answers_to_questions_in_the_cat_tools_forum.html
... See more
Hi Michael,

I'll answer some of your questions in the CafeTran forum.

See you in that bar? (I'm the guy with the white rose, sitting at the window table.)

Cheers,

Hans

http://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/233969-some_answers_to_questions_in_the_cat_tools_forum.html

[Bearbeitet am 2012-09-30 06:22 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Chicken and egg Oct 7, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

I just wish Igor had tried to copy memoQ's UI instead of inventing his own from scratch.

memoQ 2 was released in 2007. CafeTran (at that time called TexTran) was released in 2005.

Hans

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:02
Finnish to French
memoQ history Oct 7, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:
Michael Beijer wrote:
I just wish Igor had tried to copy memoQ's UI instead of inventing his own from scratch.

memoQ 2 was released in 2007. CafeTran (at that time called TexTran) was released in 2005.

Actually, memoQ was already at version 2.0 in early 2007. Its development started in 2004, but it is true it had very low visibility until 2006-2007.

However, its interface and main concepts were clearly modeled on another tool (Déjà Vu), which made/makes it easier to learn for people who already have a background with other CAT tools.

CafeTran would benefit from quick guides aimed at users of other tools, a bit like what Microsoft had for WordPerfect users when introducing Word, or for Lotus 1-2-3 users when introducing Excel. I remember Word and Excel (when they were the new kids in town) had menus for users of WP and Lotus (which were the established, dominant players in their field at the time).

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:02
English to Indonesian
+ ...
True enough Oct 7, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
However, its interface and main concepts were clearly modeled on another tool (Déjà Vu), which made/makes it easier to learn for people who already have a background with other CAT tools.

I also think I ended up with CafeTran on OS X because it resembled the tool I was used to most: DejaVu (twelve years, at that time).

Spot on. I doubt if there's a single CafeTran user without a CAT tool background. It's typically not the tool for beginners. Not because it's difficult to learn - it isn't - but because it's fairly unknown, and maybe because it's too cheap for what it offers.

Cheers,

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Flexibility of mind Oct 8, 2012

Spot on. I doubt if there's a single CafeTran user without a CAT tool background. It's typically not the tool for beginners. Not because it's difficult to learn

IMNSHO This has to do with flexibility of mind.

Yes, CafeTran is different – but its workflow is logical (once you get the grip of it).

Okay, enough said about that ...

I was really amazed how much more time Studio 2011 takes to save a 6,000 words sdlxliff file, compared with CafeTran. Okay, I have the Parallels overhead, so perhaps the comparison isn't fair. Studio takes 5-7 seconds, CafeTran saves instantly.

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Not so honest comparison, I'm afraid Oct 8, 2012

I just realized that I give CafeTran 8 GB RAM and Studio in Parallels and Windows 7 only gets 2 GB RAM (because I prefer Windows 32-bit).

So please ignore my previous posting.

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CatGuru video request: term base import/recognition speed comparison

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »