Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TeamViewer Oct 18, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

1: of course a NAS is always preferable. But in this case, a NAS is not an option because the two people involved are not in the same place. This needs to be done over the Internet, not a local network.

One of my frequent scenarios is with one user away from the office, and more than one in the office. In this case we find very usefull to have the "remote" user connected to a vacant office machine using TeamViewer.
Not sure if this is of any use for the original poster, but just in case...

Regards,
José Ruivo

PS - Alternativelly to the TeamViewer solution there's always the Windows Remote Desktop, but I haven't been able to setup that properly, while Teamviewer is very easy to get up and running

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Remote desktop Oct 18, 2012

Jose Ruivo wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

1: of course a NAS is always preferable. But in this case, a NAS is not an option because the two people involved are not in the same place. This needs to be done over the Internet, not a local network.

One of my frequent scenarios is with one user away from the office, and more than one in the office. In this case we find very usefull to have the "remote" user connected to a vacant office machine using TeamViewer.
Not sure if this is of any use for the original poster, but just in case...

Regards,
José Ruivo

PS - Alternativelly to the TeamViewer solution there's always the Windows Remote Desktop, but I haven't been able to setup that properly, while Teamviewer is very easy to get up and running

The problem with that is that it can be excrutiatingly slow if the connection is bad at either end, and I think it also requires a client computer that the remote user will be controlling. It's fine for an office that already has a NAS and a bunch of unused desktops at any given time, not so good for a freelancer with a home office.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:49
Finnish to French
Format accepted by Wordfast Anywhere is standard (TMX) Oct 18, 2012

Jose Ruivo wrote:
Dominique Pivard wrote:
I assume the tool needs to be remote because you want the TM to be shared by several people not located in the same place, right? If so, you may want to have a look at Wordfast Anywhere (www.freetm.com). You can upload a TM of virtually any size (TMX is accepted) and you can designate the people you want to share it with.

Bu then you're bound to formats you can use on WFAnywhere.

Henning said he would be using the "remote TM" for concordance search, ie. for reference purposes. I assume he would be using another tool and another TM to store his translations. As I said, you can upload any TMX TM to your Wordfast Anywhere account, and I assume Henning knows how to export his remote TM to the TMX format. Once your TM has been uploaded, you can perform concordance searches in your browser even if you don't have a translatable document open. Concordance search results are displayed in the "Trados style", as you can see here:

Jose Ruivo wrote:
What can you do if the client sends you sdlxlif and sdltm files? In my experience, when you convert between diferent vendors/versions you always lose something.

SDLXLIFF is the format of translatable documents. Henning wasn't looking to translate anything with his remote TM. There is no need to involve SDLXLIFF in his scenario, since we are talking about a TM to be used for reference purposes.

SDLTM is the format of Studio: you can export it to TMX if you have Studio. And if you don't have Studio, you can still do it, as explained here:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/10/16/convert-sdltm-from-sdl-trados-studio-to-tmx-without-studio/

As to "losing something", a TM is a TM. If you are using it for reference purposes, you are interested in content, not form. Even tools that store formatting information in their TM's don't display it in concordance searches.

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Perfect, in my sceanario Oct 22, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:
The problem with that is that it can be excrutiatingly slow if the connection is bad at either end,

My office connection is good - 30 Mbps - but one of my colleagues uses a GSM connection to connect to the office and work this way, and she has no complaints about it.

Teamviewer can also be configured for either best speed or best graphics quality. For text the intermidiate setup is fine. I often use the best graphics quality perhaps only because my eyesight isn't the same as 20 years ago Yet, on my 6 Mbps home connection it works fine - the real constraint is only how fast I can translate, not how fast Teamviewer works.

FarkasAndras wrote:
and I think it also requires a client computer that the remote user will be controlling. It's fine for an office that already has a NAS and a bunch of unused desktops at any given time, not so good for a freelancer with a home office.

It does require a client computer, but I often find that very usefull when one of my freelancers doesn't have the software I want him/her to use and which I have in the office, or when I need to work late (from the confort of home, rather than being alone in the office).

Best,
José ruivo

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
MIssed it Oct 22, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Henning said he would be using the "remote TM" for concordance search, ie. for reference purposes. I assume he would be using another tool and another TM to store his translations.

I had missed that part, in which case WFAnywhere good enough.

Still wonder if Henning would consider more advanced alternatives, now that he probably has more information about the possibilities - I would still prefer Dropbox

Best,
José Ruivo

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remote TM Tool

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »