Thread poster: Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 16:03
English to German
+ ...
Oct 18, 2012

I am looking for a remote TM tool. It is supposed to be used only for concordance search, not integrated into the translation process. Are there any good inexpensive options?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:03
English
What's your backend? Oct 18, 2012

If you are using Studio you might find T-Windows useful for your purposes. This can run in the background of your PC connected to a filebased or server based TM and offer TM lookup or concordance from any application you are working in.

If you're using 2011 it's installed in the progams group already, but if you have 2009 you can find it here: http://goo.gl/d9gh2

Regards

Paul

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remote TM? Oct 18, 2012

Can I use the tool to access a file-based TM on another computer via the internet? The other computer has Studio 2011 as well.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try it... Oct 18, 2012

Henning Holthusen wrote:

Can I use the tool to access a file-based TM on another computer via the internet? The other computer has Studio 2011 as well.

I guess it will come under the usual restrictions of sharing file-based TMs (which is possible in Studio without TM Server) but may work. So if you can connect to the file-based TM with Studio already then this should work too.

Regards

Paul

Henning Holthusen
Philippines
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Connecting to a remote TM with Studio 2011? Oct 18, 2012

Can you connect to a remote TM with Studio 2011, if the other computer doesn't have something expensive like a Trados server program?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dropbox? Oct 18, 2012

From a previous discussion, it became pretty clear that you have two options:

- Buy a server version of Studio and set up a server for a small fortune.
- Sync the TMs between computers using shared Dropbox folders or some other similar solution. Then the remote TM becomes a local TM that is updated live in real time by the other translator. You need to double up TMs, i.e. TM A is updated by Translator A and used for concordance/lookups by Translator B, and TM B is updated by
... See more
From a previous discussion, it became pretty clear that you have two options:

- Buy a server version of Studio and set up a server for a small fortune.
- Sync the TMs between computers using shared Dropbox folders or some other similar solution. Then the remote TM becomes a local TM that is updated live in real time by the other translator. You need to double up TMs, i.e. TM A is updated by Translator A and used for concordance/lookups by Translator B, and TM B is updated by Translator B and used for concordance/lookups by Translator A. This is to avoid file opening/editing conflicts. I haven't tried this yet, but it should work.

Other than this, you are left with exchanging updated TMs via email or something like that.

[Edited at 2012-10-18 10:33 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Dropbox Oct 18, 2012

How about using something like Dropbox? Put your TM in the DropBox folder and access it from either computer.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If you can... Oct 18, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
if you can connect to the file-based TM with Studio already then this should work too.

I believe you can't (connect via the Internet to a TM that is on another translator's computer). The way I'm reading this is that Henning would like to collaborate with another translator on a project and share TMs in real time when they are not in the same place (and thus can't put the TMs on a shared NAS). Presumably, both of them are using a Freelance version of Studio.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I think you can... Oct 18, 2012

... although I'm not expert enough myself to know how to set this up. But if you use a VPN tool to map the laptops to the same network (Freelance or Professional... only the domain type restricts the use of one over the other) then this should work.

The usual restrictions would apply : http://goo.gl/xfl5A so this isn't a good mechanism for serious TM sharing between a team, but for some things this migh
... See more
... although I'm not expert enough myself to know how to set this up. But if you use a VPN tool to map the laptops to the same network (Freelance or Professional... only the domain type restricts the use of one over the other) then this should work.

The usual restrictions would apply : http://goo.gl/xfl5A so this isn't a good mechanism for serious TM sharing between a team, but for some things this might be ideal.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
VPN Oct 18, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hmmm, are you saying that VPN software can map a folder or drive on a remote computer as if it was a local folder or drive (i.e. assign a drive letter and path to it so that Studio can see the TM as a local file)? I haven't heard of this but it may be doable. (I believe it is possible to set up a local file server or NAS and use VPN to allow remote computers to connect to it as if they were on the same local network, but that's different from sharing folders that are on a computer.) Even if it works, it'll probably be trickier to set up than a Dropbox shared folder and you may still need to double the TMs to avoid conflicts. It may also be slower (once Dropbox updated your TM, it's local, so access times will be fast - and if you keep the TM small, Dropbox updates should be fairly fast).

Here's the previous thread on this issue for reference:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/217867-working_with_the_same_tm_and_termbase_in_two_different_computers_at_the_same_time.html

[Edited at 2012-10-18 11:18 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:03
Finnish to French
Wordfast Anywhere Oct 18, 2012

Henning Holthusen wrote:
I am looking for a remote TM tool. It is supposed to be used only for concordance search, not integrated into the translation process. Are there any good inexpensive options?

I assume the tool needs to be remote because you want the TM to be shared by several people not located in the same place, right? If so, you may want to have a look at Wordfast Anywhere (www.freetm.com). You can upload a TM of virtually any size (TMX is accepted) and you can designate the people you want to share it with. All these people can perform concordance searches against that TM. The price is difficult to beat, as it is totally free.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No idea... I've never tried it. Oct 18, 2012

But in theory it looks possible... try this link for additional info

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Advantage? Oct 18, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:
Even if it works, it'll probably be trickier to set up than a Dropbox shared folder and you may still need to double the TMs to avoid conflicts.

I have been using a TM in a NAS in a LAN which is read and updated by 2 or more people, with no apparent problem. Perhaps the Dropbox advantage would be faster updating, as index rebuilts on Studio TMs as described above happen only at 20 minutes intervals.

FarkasAndras wrote:
It may also be slower (once Dropbox updated your TM, it's local, so access times will be fast - and if you keep the TM small, Dropbox updates should be fairly fast).

Because the VPN connection would forcibly be slower then the Dropbox update? Otherwise I can't see the diference.

In any case I still can't see the advantage of a VPN over a Dropbox setup, for the intended purpose.

Best,
José Ruivo

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Format bound Oct 18, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
I assume the tool needs to be remote because you want the TM to be shared by several people not located in the same place, right? If so, you may want to have a look at Wordfast Anywhere (www.freetm.com). You can upload a TM of virtually any size (TMX is accepted) and you can designate the people you want to share it with.

Bu then you're bound to formats you can use on WFAnywhere. What can you do if the client sends you sdlxlif and sdltm files? In my experience, when you convert between diferent vendors/versions you always lose something.

Just became a Dropbox fan, and can't see a better alternative for the money.

Regards,
José Ruivo

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
nas vs vpn vs dropbox syncing Oct 18, 2012

Jose Ruivo wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:
Even if it works, it'll probably be trickier to set up than a Dropbox shared folder and you may still need to double the TMs to avoid conflicts.

I have been using a TM in a NAS in a LAN which is read and updated by 2 or more people, with no apparent problem. Perhaps the Dropbox advantage would be faster updating, as index rebuilts on Studio TMs as described above happen only at 20 minutes intervals.

FarkasAndras wrote:
It may also be slower (once Dropbox updated your TM, it's local, so access times will be fast - and if you keep the TM small, Dropbox updates should be fairly fast).

Because the VPN connection would forcibly be slower then the Dropbox update? Otherwise I can't see the diference.

In any case I still can't see the advantage of a VPN over a Dropbox setup, for the intended purpose.

Best,
José Ruivo

1: of course a NAS is always preferable. But in this case, a NAS is not an option because the two people involved are not in the same place. This needs to be done over the Internet, not a local network.

2: dropbox will probably be faster than a vpn solution because lookups are done locally, not over the internet.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remote TM Tool

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »