Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
best translation software
Thread poster: Isabella M
Isabella M
Isabella M
Local time: 02:24
Nov 29, 2012

Hi, which translation sftware would you say is the best one?
Thanks

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:24
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You may want to check ProZ.com's Software Comparison Tool Nov 29, 2012

Dear Isabella,

I cannot give a definitive answer to your question, but I invite you to visit ProZ.com's Software Comparison Tool at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool . You will find information that will help you assess which translation software is best for your needs.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Manuel Locria
Manuel Locria  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
You have opened pandora's box Nov 29, 2012

Leaving the funny title aside, I believe every translator is entitled to an opinion on this matter. The question you should be asking is "What is the best CAT tool for me?", try checking the link Alejandro provided and maybe you should consider signing up for some introductory or comparative courses that are offered here in ProZ.com to get a general idea of each software and then make a decision... See more
Leaving the funny title aside, I believe every translator is entitled to an opinion on this matter. The question you should be asking is "What is the best CAT tool for me?", try checking the link Alejandro provided and maybe you should consider signing up for some introductory or comparative courses that are offered here in ProZ.com to get a general idea of each software and then make a decisionCollapse

Isabella M
Isabella M
TOPIC STARTER
best translation software Nov 29, 2012

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:

Dear Isabella,

I cannot give a definitive answer to your question, but I invite you to visit ProZ.com's Software Comparison Tool at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool . You will find information that will help you assess which translation software is best for your needs.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Dear Alejandro,

I will definitely check that out
Thank you

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
My two penn'orth.. Nov 29, 2012

I'm using Trados Studio 2011 at the moment (fairly recent purchase) and I would say that the basic functions are extremely easy to learn, the side-by side display is an absolute delight to use BUT most of the additional functions are not in the least intuitive, the program has a tendency to freeze or crash occasionally and the waiting time for saving large documents can be quite high (perhaps this will improve when I upgrade my laptop, currently 4Gb RAM). On the plus side, there are many videos ... See more
I'm using Trados Studio 2011 at the moment (fairly recent purchase) and I would say that the basic functions are extremely easy to learn, the side-by side display is an absolute delight to use BUT most of the additional functions are not in the least intuitive, the program has a tendency to freeze or crash occasionally and the waiting time for saving large documents can be quite high (perhaps this will improve when I upgrade my laptop, currently 4Gb RAM). On the plus side, there are many videos available on YouTube giving tutorials on the additional functions.

Good luck (and wait for one of the cheap ProZ deals!)

Steve
Collapse

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 04:24
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
MS Windows 7 Calculator Version 6.1.7601 Nov 29, 2012

Isabella X wrote:

For me MS Windows Calculator is definitely the best one as it helps me really a lot to perform my favorite phase of the translation process: fees computation...

Nikita Kobrin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Microsoft Word Nov 29, 2012

Isabella X wrote:

The best one is Microsoft Word. It has the most comprehensive editing functions, and one of the few tools that provide macro functionality (I know OmegaT has it too, but the editing functions in OmegaT are a little bit less comprehensive than MS Word's).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Personal choice Nov 29, 2012

I like Wordfast Classic because it's crelatively economical and does just what I want it to (which admittedly isn't all that much since I don't use all its features).

On the other hand, Trados is the "industry standard", so if working mainly with agencies it's probably the best bet, but it's more complicated and expensive (see comments above and site forums), apart from the fact that I don't buy into what I perceive as its its corporate ethos.

I don't have much exper
... See more
I like Wordfast Classic because it's crelatively economical and does just what I want it to (which admittedly isn't all that much since I don't use all its features).

On the other hand, Trados is the "industry standard", so if working mainly with agencies it's probably the best bet, but it's more complicated and expensive (see comments above and site forums), apart from the fact that I don't buy into what I perceive as its its corporate ethos.

I don't have much experience with other systems...
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Without a doubt, it is Nov 29, 2012

... up to you to decide.

CAT tools these days pretty much all do the same. They allow you to extract the text from a document (and focus on the text alone without worrying about formatting), to create a translated text in the same formatting as the original, to re-use your previous works (via Translation Memories or TM's), and to make use of a terminology collection you build yourself or share with others (a TB or te
... See more
... up to you to decide.

CAT tools these days pretty much all do the same. They allow you to extract the text from a document (and focus on the text alone without worrying about formatting), to create a translated text in the same formatting as the original, to re-use your previous works (via Translation Memories or TM's), and to make use of a terminology collection you build yourself or share with others (a TB or term base).

While some tools do certain aspects better than others, the biggest difference is in style and usability - I don't think there are huge differences anymore in what CAT tools can do or not.

So, the best thing to do is to download a few trial versions of CAT tools, put a document in it (you can try a few different types), and start translating. Some programmes were easy to work with, some frustrated me because I had to click ten times to get anything done. Some were just too expensive and some didn't have the functionalities I liked, or not in the right mix.

Basically, you need to find out what you are comfortable with. These things are tools, and they are supposed to make you work better. If you come across a tool that makes it a struggle for you, toss it aside and try the next one. And if you find one that just works for you, then you can read up and compare it with other brands before you buy a full version.

You really will be best served by trying out a few of these tools. Apart from helping you choose, it is also a good way to find out what these tools can do (and how well you are able to make them do it).
Collapse

Isabella M
Isabella M
TOPIC STARTER
best translation software Nov 29, 2012

Manuel Locria wrote:

Leaving the funny title aside, I believe every translator is entitled to an opinion on this matter. The question you should be asking is "What is the best CAT tool for me?", try checking the link Alejandro provided and maybe you should consider signing up for some introductory or comparative courses that are offered here in ProZ.com to get a general idea of each software and then make a decision

Apart from the fact that your comment bringing nothing new to the subject,
yes, I was hoping for some hints, that is all, thank you
And just to let you know there are many laypeople in any matter you imagine out there, so the title, which is the exact question my boss asked by the way it is not funny at all

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Previous forum discussions Nov 29, 2012

In addition to the link kindly provided by Alejandro, you really should start by searching the existing forum threads: this question has been asked countless times before, and there have been endless discussions on and around the topic.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Speeding up Trados Nov 29, 2012

Steve Kerry wrote:

the waiting time for saving large documents can be quite high (perhaps this will improve when I upgrade my laptop, currently 4Gb RAM).

Steve

Make sure your new 'puter has a solid-state drive. The difference in performance is quite dramatic.

G.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Studio 2011 Nov 29, 2012

I'm no big fan of SDL, but during the last few weeks I never regretted to update to 2011. No performance problem here, 4 GB on Win7 and often I have lots of software up and running.
If money is an issue you could look at DVX, looks like they are desperate to sell for 295 Euro the Pro version.
Transit seems to have lost much ground those few last years, and Across too. MemoQ is the favorite tool for many of us, but I have no experience with it. WFP used to be my favorite, but the edi
... See more
I'm no big fan of SDL, but during the last few weeks I never regretted to update to 2011. No performance problem here, 4 GB on Win7 and often I have lots of software up and running.
If money is an issue you could look at DVX, looks like they are desperate to sell for 295 Euro the Pro version.
Transit seems to have lost much ground those few last years, and Across too. MemoQ is the favorite tool for many of us, but I have no experience with it. WFP used to be my favorite, but the editor in Studio is much better. Maybe wfp will catch up.
Collapse

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
@ Giles Nov 29, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:

Steve Kerry wrote:

the waiting time for saving large documents can be quite high (perhaps this will improve when I upgrade my laptop, currently 4Gb RAM).

Steve

Make sure your new 'puter has a solid-state drive. The difference in performance is quite dramatic.

G.

Thanks for the hint Giles - might even be worth dropping one in the back of the old Toshiba...

Steve

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The best software Nov 29, 2012

Isabella X wrote:

Thanks

The one that best fits within your working scenario(s). Try, try, try, think, think, think, compare, compare... and... buy.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

best translation software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »