Thread poster: Zeki Güler
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:18
English to Indonesian
+ ...
That, Dec 27, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
I think a 30-day fully functional trial is the way to go. That way you can really test the program and get a feel for it.

or a completely free version. CafeTran 2013 Light / CafeTran Cappuccino with Lots of Milk. Limited to, say: 1 file format (.docx), 1 TM, 1 terminology database, 1 glossary/lexicon, 1 MT (MyMemory). With detailed instructions and lots of references to the full version. Or not. The latter, that is.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2012-12-27 03:44 GMT]

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Improved SDLPPX handling by the Hobbit Dec 27, 2012

For the record, and to keep this overview of low-cost good CAT tools complete:

Yesterday a new version of CafeTran has been released, offering improved handling of SDL Studio 2011 packages:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/news

I've run a first test this morning with an SDLPPX I received from a client, and everything looks very promising.

[Edited at 2012-12-27 07:
... See more
For the record, and to keep this overview of low-cost good CAT tools complete:

Yesterday a new version of CafeTran has been released, offering improved handling of SDL Studio 2011 packages:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/news

I've run a first test this morning with an SDLPPX I received from a client, and everything looks very promising.

[Edited at 2012-12-27 07:49 GMT]
Collapse

Rob Fraschetti
Rob Fraschetti
Chile
Local time: 19:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Brief advice regarding a CAT/TEnTs tool for a novice/beginner Apr 30, 2013

Dear All,

First of all, please excuse the possibly repeated question (ad nauseum) from people such as myself: "What is the most recommended CAT tool available for a beginner?".

Second, thank you to all who have commented and tried to help us.

My issue is quite clear: There are so many tools offered on the market, that for someone like myself, it becomes not only nerve-racking going through these sites, forums and columns, but due to the lack of experience u
... See more
Dear All,

First of all, please excuse the possibly repeated question (ad nauseum) from people such as myself: "What is the most recommended CAT tool available for a beginner?".

Second, thank you to all who have commented and tried to help us.

My issue is quite clear: There are so many tools offered on the market, that for someone like myself, it becomes not only nerve-racking going through these sites, forums and columns, but due to the lack of experience using these tools – I lack the ability to choose a suitable one.

Having been translating for only a few years, most of my work involves area-specific jargon (business, banking, finance), of which I have been comfortable performing in a basic manner - line by line translating and the time-intensive usage of internet/forums in order to obtain the perfect translation for a specific country/language requirement.

Of course this basic method is very time consuming, hence the interest in obtaining an easy to use "tool" that will simplify this process.

Before I spend money on a tool, I wish that someone could help me in making that decision. Even though I am familiar to the fact that this is a very personal choice based on personal experience - and that everyone will always recommend their tool of choice, I would appreciate some help in obtaining a tool that could have the following attributes:

1.- Able to use in MS Word without changing the original formatting. – in order to not have to retype and reformat everything.
2.- Able to automatically translate terms that have been translated by me earlier on in the document.
3.- Able to save these terms, phrases, words for future reference.

Again, my apologies to the pros that find this request rather simplistic, but as they say in spanish : "en pedir no hay engaño/ theres is no shame in asking"-

Thanks and best regards,

Rob
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to start for a CAT tool ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »