A CAT tool website
Thread poster: henryhu
henryhu
henryhu
Local time: 07:56
English to Chinese
Feb 9, 2013

Hi guys,

We have just built a website for providing CAT tools, which goals are to offer simple and pretty handy utilities for translation work through desktop and various mobile devices. Everybody can create and share his translation on the site, and shared text will become part of the TM that everyone can utilize. TMX format conversion and TM function will be finished in a couple of weeks. Welcome checking it out and we really appreciate any suggestion. The address is:

... See more
Hi guys,

We have just built a website for providing CAT tools, which goals are to offer simple and pretty handy utilities for translation work through desktop and various mobile devices. Everybody can create and share his translation on the site, and shared text will become part of the TM that everyone can utilize. TMX format conversion and TM function will be finished in a couple of weeks. Welcome checking it out and we really appreciate any suggestion. The address is:

worksrepo.com

Best,
Henry
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:56
English to Czech
+ ...
Does it stand a chance? Feb 9, 2013

Hi Henry,
thanks for letting us know. In my scenario, where most of the materials I translate are confidential, there is little chance I'll ever use it. And I think that's the case of most translators. Unless users can create their own TMs with restricted access, I don't think your portal will find many users.

Just a thought on this...

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why? Feb 9, 2013

Why should I post my TMs on your website? Who are you or who is "we"?
What is in it for you/what do you gain? Why should I post my TMs located on a server in China?
How will my data be protected on a server in China?

Tons of questions and as long as these questions are not answered I will definitely not use your service. In fact if I learn that any of our freelancers working for us starts using your service, I'll make sure that they won't get any more projects from us.
... See more
What is in it for you/what do you gain? Why should I post my TMs located on a server in China?

Tons of questions and as long as these questions are not answered I will definitely not use your service. In fact if I learn that any of our freelancers working for us starts using your service, I'll make sure that they won't get any more projects from us. And if I learn that anybody uploads a TM with data that is covered by a NDA with us, I will legally go after the person who uploaded it like they never experienced it before.

So you better start making up a good story with some answers.

[Edited at 2013-02-09 16:09 GMT]
Collapse

henryhu
henryhu
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Users have their own choice Feb 9, 2013

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Henry,
thanks for letting us know. In my scenario, where most of the materials I translate are confidential, there is little chance I'll ever use it. And I think that's the case of most translators. Unless users can create their own TMs with restricted access, I don't think your portal will find many users.

Just a thought on this...

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you pointed out. The site offers two main plans: public (free) and private (charged). Users can keep their data private, including TMs. I'm planning to upload lots of public parallel corpora and there should be plenty of data that can be shared.

In some scenario, where a team deals with a translating task, and there is need to share TMs and glossaries among members, which is also one of my targeting.

I believe sharing will produce more and more opportunities. Translation knowledge is not an exception.

Thanks,
Henry

henryhu
henryhu
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Users' data is under protection Feb 9, 2013

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Tons of questions and as long as these questions are not answered I will definitely not use your service. In fact if I learn that any of our freelancers working for us starts using your service, I'll make sure that they won't get any more projects from us. And if I learn that anybody uploads a TM with data that is covered by a NDA with us, I will legally go after the person who uploaded it like they never experienced it before.

So you better start making up a good story with some answers.

[Edited at 2013-02-09 16:09 GMT]

Thanks.

First of all, the server is not in China, instead, it located in the USA. I'm a Chinese and I hope that is not the cause of not using my products.

The site provide private plans that is exactly what I'm going to make money to produce better tools. In terms of protection of users' data, I'm on to establish agreement and measures to implement. The server is hosted by an American company who will be responsible for data security.

If you forbid your translators to use third-party tools, I'm wondering if you do not allow them to use any third-party email system.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes it is Feb 9, 2013

First of all, the server is not in China, instead, it located in the USA. I'm a Chinese and I hope that is not the cause of not using my products.

The site provide private plans that is exactly what I'm going to make money to produce better tools. In terms of protection of users' data, I'm on to establish agreement and measures to implement. The server is hosted by an American company who will be responsible for data security.

If you forbid your translators to use third-party tools, I'm wondering if you do not allow them to use any third-party email system.

Your Proz profile gives your location as being in Bejing. You did not answer any of my questions. No, we do not forbid our translators to use third-party tools. We just forbid them to send our data to countries which cannot guarantee the safety and confidentiality of our data.

[Edited at 2013-02-09 17:21 GMT]

henryhu
henryhu
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
The server is not related to China Feb 9, 2013

Your Proz profile gives your location as being in Bejing. You did not answer any of my questions. No, we do not forbid our translators to use third-party tools. We just forbid them to send our data to countries which cannot guarantee the safety and confidentiality of our data.

[Edited at 2013-02-09 16:55 GMT]

The server is located in US and owned by Hawkhost that is an American company.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2
Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
There is already a free service Feb 9, 2013

henryhu wrote:
In some scenario, where a team deals with a translating task, and there is need to share TMs and glossaries among members, which is also one of my targeting.

I believe sharing will produce more and more opportunities. Translation knowledge is not an exception.

Hi Henry,
there is a free TM service already: WordFast Anywhere.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Too little is known to make a judgement Feb 9, 2013

Why should I post my TMs on your website?

Well, you should be the judge of that yourself. If the advantage that is gained by using the site is big enough to offset your sharing of your TMs, then it makes good business sense to share your TMs. But if sharing your TMs is not an option for you, then obviously you must not upload your TMs even if it may be advantageous for you to do so.

What is in it for you/what do you gain?

Money. The site offers a free plan and several paid plans.

Why should I post my TMs located on a server in China? How will my data be protected on a server in China?

Is it the distance to China that makes you skeptical about your ability to control your data, if it is hosted in China?

Tons of questions and as long as these questions are not answered...

They will remain unanswered if they remain unasked. (-:

I will definitely not use your service. In fact if I learn that any of our freelancers working for us starts using your service, I'll make sure that they won't get any more projects from us.

Why on earth this hostility? So little is known about the type of service that the OP wants to provide that I can't see how you are able to jump to any conclusion about the service at this time.

And if I learn that anybody uploads a TM with data that is covered by a NDA with us...

...then you should treat it as a serious breach of confidence and a breach of contract with that person, and you should take steps to remedy it or otherwise deal with it, but that has nothing to do with this service.

Translators can also upload your TMs to Facebook (if they're the sharing type), but you would not ban any translator from your books if they have a Facebook account, just because it is possible for contract breaching translators to use Facebook to do so.

[Edited at 2013-02-09 19:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A CAT tool website

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »