philippe drevet
philippe drevet  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:29
English to French
+ ...
Mar 4, 2013

Hi

I have a two columns' document to translate.

I have the source text in the left column and an empty left column where I have to write the target text. As there is a lot of words and repetitions I would like to use a cat tool.

I cannot use wordfast in an usual configuration as I will get the source and target segment in the left columns and have to copy and past the target segments in the right columns and there is a lot of segment and files. I cannot co
... See more
Hi

I have the source text in the left column and an empty left column where I have to write the target text. As there is a lot of words and repetitions I would like to use a cat tool.

I cannot use wordfast in an usual configuration as I will get the source and target segment in the left columns and have to copy and past the target segments in the right columns and there is a lot of segment and files. I cannot convert the tables in text as each tables have merged columns ahead

Do you have some tips for me?

Thanks
Philippe
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:59
German to English
+ ...
One way is to use DVX2 Mar 4, 2013

drevetph wrote:
Thanks
Philippe

I take it your empty column is the right column (otherwise you would have two left columns). I also assume that you are talking about a Word document.
This task can be done in DVX2, although there are a couple of things you need to do first:
a) Mark the whole of the left column and copy (CTRL-C)
b) Place the cursor at the top of the right column in Word and insert (CTRL-V). This will give you a middle column which is identical to the left column, but it will probably also add an empty third column.
c) Mark the whole of the empty third column and delete (CTRL-X)
d) Mark the whole of the left column and format all text as hidden.

Then create or open your project in DVX2. When you import the Word flie, make sure that "Ignore hidden text" is ticked under "Properties".
This procedure will give you only the right column to translate in DVX2.
A similar procedure may be possible in other tools, but others will have to explain how.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The way I do it Mar 4, 2013

I regularly have to deal with this situation, and what I usually do is (working in a copy of the source file) simply translate as normal in what is supposed to be the source column, then after finishing my translation and clean-up, I copy the whole column back into the target column position of (another copy of) the source document.

Sadly, your merged cells are likely to cause problems; but you may have to treat those individually, or else possibly split the table at each one... it
... See more
I regularly have to deal with this situation, and what I usually do is (working in a copy of the source file) simply translate as normal in what is supposed to be the source column, then after finishing my translation and clean-up, I copy the whole column back into the target column position of (another copy of) the source document.

Sadly, your merged cells are likely to cause problems; but you may have to treat those individually, or else possibly split the table at each one... it really all depends on just how they are merged...

If you can detect the symbol pattern created, you might after all be able to convert table > text, doing a search-and-replace on the symbol pattern to unmerge the cells (and possible even to re-merge them afterwards) — again, it all depends on the exact formatting of your document.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
English to French
+ ...
KISS Mar 4, 2013

There's an easy way:

Save your source document under a different name. Remove the empty column(s). Translate. Then, copy the source language column to the left (or right) of the translated column. Save. Invoice. Deliver.

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Which WF do you use? Mar 4, 2013

drevetph wrote:

Hi

I cannot use wordfast in an usual configuration as I will get the source and target segment in the left columns and have to copy and past the target segments in the right columns and there is a lot of segment and files. I cannot convert the tables in text as each tables have merged columns ahead

Do you have some tips for me?

Thanks
Philippe

If you use WF Classic, first copy the source text first into the second colum. Mark the first column as untranslatable (highlight grey, marching red ants or double strike through), and then translate the right column.
For WF Pro, others will explain better than I can do.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Merged cells... Mar 4, 2013

drevetph wrote:
I cannot convert the tables in text as each tables have merged columns ahead...

I think the merged cells will create havoc with any CAT tool that claims to be able to put the translation in an "other" column.

For this type of job I would therefore first copy the source text into the target column, and then mark the source text column as "untranslatable", and then translate the file as usual. Depending on the complexity of the cells I would either use Wordfast Classic after marking the non-translatable text as marching red ants, or Wordfast Pro or possibly TagEditor after marking the non-translatable text in a hidden font format. I suspect you can use the "hidden text" trick in many other CAT tools as well. I understand that this would seem tedious if you have many files and if your tables are merged in odd ways, but that is the quickest way I can think of.

Giunia Totaro
Giunia Totaro  Identity Verified
French to Italian
+ ...
Thx Mar 4, 2013

Thanks for your suggestion, Samuel, I had never thought about this possible solution -.-'

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:59
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks Victor Mar 4, 2013

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

drevetph wrote:
Thanks
Philippe

I take it your empty column is the right column (otherwise you would have two left columns). I also assume that you are talking about a Word document.
This task can be done in DVX2, although there are a couple of things you need to do first:
a) Mark the whole of the left column and copy (CTRL-C)
b) Place the cursor at the top of the right column in Word and insert (CTRL-V). This will give you a middle column which is identical to the left column, but it will probably also add an empty third column.
c) Mark the whole of the empty third column and delete (CTRL-X)
d) Mark the whole of the left column and format all text as hidden.

Then create or open your project in DVX2. When you import the Word flie, make sure that "Ignore hidden text" is ticked under "Properties".
This procedure will give you only the right column to translate in DVX2.
A similar procedure may be possible in other tools, but others will have to explain how.

I was going to ask a similar question a while ago but forgot to post it here. Victor, your answer is extremely helpful to me. Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a document containing two columns with CAT tool - help needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »