Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:38
English to Turkish
+ ...
WYSIWYG available in all file formats? Apr 30, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

4) If you say ‘hardly any tags in CAT tool’, do you mean that they are not displayed?

Yes, that's what I mean. In my view, a good CAT tool is one that presents as few tags in the source and target segments to the translator as possible. Some are better than others, although in general they are now all trying to develop tools that are as devoid of tags as possible. In memoQ, e.g., if sth is in bold or italics, you just see it that way. In Déjà Vu, however, this all needs to be coded in tags, so there will be a little tag before and after every bold or italicised fragment of text, which is of course ridiculous and impedes your work as a translator. We are human beings, not computers, and so should be presented with text to translate, not code. That's what our computer is supposed to do: remove as much of the underlying computer and formatting code as possible so we can focus on the flow of the text.

Hi Michael,

Does memoQ support bold, italics formatting for all file types or limited to Office documents only? Even a limited support may be good though but as a Déjà Vu X2 user it is not a priority for me.

Irrespective of the file type (Word, InDesign, PowerPoint, FrameMaker), Déjà Vu X2 displays different formatting as below.

This word is bold.
is displayed as
This {1}word{2} is bold.

Good thing is Déjà Vu X2 stores only the location of codes in the TM, not the formatting. So I get 100% matches when translating another file type. What about memoQ (and Studio), penalties applied?

Selcuk

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
English
In Studio... Apr 30, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Irrespective of the file type (Word, InDesign, PowerPoint, FrameMaker), Déjà Vu X2 displays different formatting as below.

This word is bold.
is displayed as
This {1}word{2} is bold.

Good thing is Déjà Vu X2 stores only the location of codes in the TM, not the formatting. So I get 100% matches when translating another file type. What about memoQ (and Studio), penalties applied?

Selcuk

Hi Selcuk,

I added four different filetypes and tranlsated the Word file only... so I can see this (looks a little clutterred as I only had one segment in each one) using a tagfree environment:

Or like this if I want to see the tags as they are still there whether I hide them or not as we all know:

So the other three were autopropagated as 100% matches based on the translation of the Word file alone. So yes, in Studio we have the same principle.

Regards

Paul

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:38
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks Paul Apr 30, 2013

Does it apply for InDesign (or other DTP) files as well?

Selcuk

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I'm going to say yes... Apr 30, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Does it apply for InDesign (or other DTP) files as well?

Selcuk

... but I can't test as I don't have the appropriate software to test it. But if you have a suitable file with this in it send it over and I'll happily give it a go.

Regards

Paul

Els Eerdekens
Els Eerdekens
Belgium
French to Dutch
Thanks all May 2, 2013

@ all:

Thanks for all your answers! I'm going to read this information carefully.

Els

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
The tagfree environment May 2, 2013

is a huge advantage of Studio, and also of... Wordfast Classic. I recently discovered that this was one of the reasons why I could work so fast for 12 years now while others were struggling with tags.

Els Eerdekens
Els Eerdekens
Belgium
French to Dutch
Filtering source and target segments May 3, 2013

@ Michael

What do you actually mean with "filtering both source and target segments in the translation grid"?

Thanks!

Els

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
filtering and sorting in memoQ May 3, 2013

Els Eerdekens wrote:

@ Michael

What do you actually mean with "filtering both source and target segments in the translation grid"?

Thanks!

Els

Hi Els,

One of the amazing things about memoQ is its ability to filter on certain words (display only those segments that contain certain words or phrases) while in the translation grid (while translating). There are two ways to do this. The first way is to enter the search term in either the source or target box above the translation grid. Press enter and all segments will be displayed ('filtered') that contain that phrase. The second way is to select a term in either source or target, and click a keyboard shortcut. This will do the same.

This is a great function if you are translating and all of a sudden wonder if you translated something consistently. Let's say it's how you spelled 'Juridisch-Economisch Lexicon'. Just select that term in, e.g., the segment side and click Ctrl+Shift+F: this will display only those segments that contain that phrase, providing you with a nice visual overview of those segments so you can make any necessary changes.

The memoQ online help has this to say about filtering:

'Filtering and sorting the translation document

In the translation grid, you can edit the contents of a translation document manually. Translation documents, however, often contain a multitude of segments, which may be difficult to navigate. The filtering and sorting toolbar of the translation grid allows you to filter or sort the segments in the translation document so that you can work with it easily.

Use

On the left side of the filtering and sorting toolbar – the filtering options –, you can define a subset of all segments in the translation document view to see. By using the filters, you will not see irrelevant segments. On the right side of the filtering and sorting toolbar – the sorting options –, you can set the order in which the segments are displayed. This will help you in navigation.

Filtering Options

• Source: Use this field to enter the words you are looking for on the source side. If you filter for source segments, you will only see those segments that contain the words you specified in the source language.
• Target: Use this field to enter the words you are looking for on the target side. If you filter for target segments, you will only see those segments that contain the words you specified in the target language.'

(http://kilgray.com/memoq/60/help-en/index.html?translation_grid.html )

filtering

Hope this helps!

Michael

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
filtering and sorting in CafeTran May 3, 2013

Hello Els,

Both filtering in source or target segment and sorting is available in CafeTran too. All you need to do is to:

1. Press the filter icon next the search field.
2. Type a phrase to be filtered out in the search field.
3. Press the PS icon to filter in the source segments or press the PT icon to filter in the target segments.

You may also filter out "Segments with letters" or "Segment with no letters" the same way (see the View menu). ... See more
Hello Els,

Both filtering in source or target segment and sorting is available in CafeTran too. All you need to do is to:

1. Press the filter icon next the search field.
2. Type a phrase to be filtered out in the search field.
3. Press the PS icon to filter in the source segments or press the PT icon to filter in the target segments.

You may also filter out "Segments with letters" or "Segment with no letters" the same way (see the View menu).

Sorting is also done via the menu View | Sort alphabetically.

Cheerio,
Igor
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 20:38
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Easy filtering in CafeTran May 3, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:
One of the amazing things about memoQ is its ability to filter on certain words (display only those segments that contain certain words or phrases) while in the translation grid (while translating).

Well, Michael, you can do this very easily in CafeTran as well:

When you select a word or phrase, a bar with icons will pop-up, allowing you to search in (from left to right)

R = Resources (Internet, glossaries)
PS = Project source segments
PT = Project target segments
MS = Memory source segments
MT = Memory target segments
DS = Database source segments
DT = Database target segments

Clicking one of those icons will instantly produce the desired results in the upper left pane, in the example above, from the Memory source segments.

Cheers,

Hans

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
And all of them are more or less same from the point of functionality... May 5, 2013

I think that's the first time I ever heard someone say that!
I guess you could say that, over the past 5 years or so, there has been quite a lot of "visual" convergence with more or less all CAT tool vendors adopting the Déjà Vu model, but without looking under the hood.

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not for "every" fragment of text actually May 6, 2013

In Déjà Vu, however, this all needs to be coded in tags, so there will be a little tag before and after every bold or italicised fragment of text, which is of course ridiculous and impedes your work as a translator.

If a whole paragraph, sentence or title is bolded, for instance, you won't have any tags at all (or any formatting to do). The formatting is stripped away and the text is shown as unformatted in the grid, whereas in memoQ it would be shown as bold/italic, for instance.

Bold/italic title in DVX
Bold/italic title in memoQ

This means that, in the average Word document, you typically have fewer than 50 tags to deal with and these often fall into the right place automatically when pretranslating.
In memoQ, I found that in many cases, it can actually take longer to add all the wysiwyg formatting manually.
I imagine that optional wysiwyg formatting for Office formats will come in DVX3 some time later on this year.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi David, May 6, 2013

I actually find it much faster to add all the wysiwyg formatting manually. Ctrl+I, Ctrl+B, and Ctrl+U all work just fine, for italics, bold and underlining something, respectively.

Also, I often find it useful to see something as bold in the translation grid if it is also bold in my source text. This gives you more context to work with.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Selcuk, May 6, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Michael,

Does memoQ support bold, italics formatting for all file types or limited to Office documents only? Even a limited support may be good though but as a Déjà Vu X2 user it is not a priority for me.

This word is bold.
is displayed as
This {1}word{2} is bold.

Selcuk

Sorry, no time to answer this just yet! Missed deadline looming;)

Michael

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 20:38
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Have your cake May 6, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:
Also, I often find it useful to see something as bold in the translation grid if it is also bold in my source text. This gives you more context to work with.

CafeTran shows the formatting in the grid, but uses tags in the workflow. There are several ways to insert the tags, but the easiest way is to type the tag number followed by escape: 1-esc
Every segment starts anew with "1", so you won't find something like {134}. Very fast, and very easy.

The trouble with no tags in the workflow, is that there's no solution so far for less frequent formatting (like notes), so in a complex document, you will have tags anyway.

Cheers,

hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Writing research paper on CAT tools - feedback needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »