Local time: 13:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not quite May 8, 2013

David Turner wrote:
Meta Arkadia wrote:
I think you should pay for software you use for your profession

Translators expect to be paid for their work so why shouldn't software developers?

I wouldn't say "translators should pay for software" but rather "translators should be willing to pay for software... if they need to". Lots of things can be had for free, these days.

And it is difficult for translators to quantify the cost of translation in terms of the cost of software. For example, if I'm a CafeTran user and I want a certain feature in it, how much should I be willing to pay for its development so that I still make a profit from being able to use the new feature that I paid for? That is a very difficult thing to calculate. The increase in efficiency is often very little.

For example, if a CAT tool has no find/replace function, and it suddenly gets one, the increase in translation pleasure may be as much as 10% but the increase in actual efficiency may be as little as 1%. So, if I were to offer the CAT tool developer 0.5% of e.g. 3 years of profit, would that be sufficient incentive for him to develop that feature? I don't think so.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 18:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
More on tags, still not on topic May 8, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
That is an odd notion, in my opinion. What kinds of databases a tool uses and how it uses them is not really relevant to the user.

I think it is. It is, because you will most likely also use databases the clients send you, it is because you may want to use different databases for different uses, it is, because you may want to be able to search them using different media. Example: TMX files in CafeTran will be loaded in the RAM, "real" databases will be accessed on your HDD. If you don't have enough RAM, you may want to use the HDD.

Well, if screen real estate is limited, then the best option would be to NOT integrate resources into the UI

CafeTran integrates them in the tabbed pane that is used for all resources, so they don't decrease the room on the screen. See IATE in this screenshot:

Cheers,

Hans

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
my main point! May 8, 2013

It's up to the CAT tool developer to garner enough clients to make further investment worth their while. That's how capitalism works.

Then you get those who develop stuff and put it out there for free. People have been doing things for each other for free since long before the development of capitalism, Internet has simply made it a whole lot easier to reach out to a whole lot more people.

When I was teaching English privately to pay my way through my studies I was an
... See more
It's up to the CAT tool developer to garner enough clients to make further investment worth their while. That's how capitalism works.

Then you get those who develop stuff and put it out there for free. People have been doing things for each other for free since long before the development of capitalism, Internet has simply made it a whole lot easier to reach out to a whole lot more people.

When I was teaching English privately to pay my way through my studies I was annoyed that an Englishwoman in the next street was teaching kids for free. But the fact is that those kids could never have afforded to pay for lessons so she wasn't actually taking any custom from me.

I don't use CAT tools if I can help it, but when I do, I don't see why I should pay for it because it's not my choice. Customers have twice supplied me with a licence so that I can work for them. One of them has a special licence that I can only use with their files, which I feel is rather short-sighted and petty of them. Limiting use in this way means I entirely forget which key does what in between projects so my use of the software is nowhere near optimum. So I waste time on their projects, and feel less and less inclined to take on any more as a result. I get the feeling that they wanted me to be working more or less full time on their stuff (they have enough work for at least ten full-time translatores), but hey, that's not how free-lancing works!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Inside the tool versus outside the tool May 8, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:
You will most likely also use databases the clients send you, ... you may want to use different databases for different uses, ... and you may want to be able to search them using different media.

Yes, but then we approach a point at which it may be more productive to access those resources in an independent tool. For example, you could load a 100 million segment translation memory into your own tool, or you could access it via the internet where it is hosted on a super fast server.

You could have a dictionary function built in to the CAT tool, or you could use the dictionary software that comes with the dictionaries. There is something to be said for integration, but I think the main issue is how cumbersome it is to move from the CAT tool to the other tool and back.

CafeTran integrates them in the tabbed pane that is used for all resources, so they don't decrease the room on the screen.

Yes, but if they are tabbed, it means that you have to press a button or use the mouse to switch to that tab... and then you might as well use a button or your mouse to switch from the CAT tool window to the web browser window.

Also, with the tabbed interface in CafeTran, you can only use half of the screen for those resources, whereas if the resource loaded in e.g. a web browser, you would have complete control over how much room you want it to take up, and by how much you would want it to overlap the CAT tool.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Inside out May 8, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
Yes, but if they are tabbed, it means that you have to press a button or use the mouse to switch to that tab... and then you might as well use a button or your mouse to switch from the CAT tool window to the web browser window.

Of course, but you'll have to do that to consult your other databases/resources as well. The advantage of this solution is, that you - like with the other resources - only have to select the term(s) you want to use to move them to your translation pane. No need to copy and paste.

and by how much you would want it to overlap the CAT tool

Now I don't want it to overlap, that will cost me two extra mouse-click or KBSs, and it distracts unnecessarily. Besides, the elements of the tabbed pane can be arranged to taste. For instance, if I use the IATE Internet resource a lot, I can "undock" it from the resources pane, and dock it to the right of my translation pane, so I can access and view the search results without any action from me.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
built-in web search features vs IntelliWebSearch method May 8, 2013

Hi Hans,

I'm not so sure yet about the usefulness of the built-in web search feature in CafeTran. I use IntelliWebSeacrh at the moment, which I have open in Chrome (not my main browser). That way, when translating, all I need to do is select a word or phrase and hit Alt+I. This automatically opens up Chrome, with around 30 (full-screen) pre-filled search tabs. I close each tab I am finished looking at with Ctrl+W, as I move through them looking for my answer. The last Ctrl+W closes
... See more
Hi Hans,

I'm not so sure yet about the usefulness of the built-in web search feature in CafeTran. I use IntelliWebSeacrh at the moment, which I have open in Chrome (not my main browser). That way, when translating, all I need to do is select a word or phrase and hit Alt+I. This automatically opens up Chrome, with around 30 (full-screen) pre-filled search tabs. I close each tab I am finished looking at with Ctrl+W, as I move through them looking for my answer. The last Ctrl+W closes Chrome, and I am straight back in memoQ.

Incidentally, memoQ 6.5 will have its own special search trick built in (just announced on the memoQ mailing list), which opens a tabbed browser window on Kilgray's server. I'm not sure how much better this will be than IntelliWebsearch (or Multifultor), but the principle is the same: open all those search tabs in a dedicated program.

Michael
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
SuperSearch May 8, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:
I'm not so sure yet about the usefulness of the built-in web search feature in CafeTran.

Whereas I stand in awe of your search capabilities. You use 20 TMs/databases (12 GB in total!), and 30 web resources for every search. It would drive me nuts. I use 2 or three databases, and usually not more than two web resources, and that's it. My old brains can't handle much more…

with around 30 (full-screen) pre-filled search tabs

You can set CafeTran to use the system browser rather than the integrated one. I'm not sure if I'd like that to be full-screen though. 27" is a bit much for that.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Writing research paper on CAT tools - feedback needed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »