Repairing Damaged System Files (Coping w/ Klez part II)
Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2002

Corollary to the postings on Klez, I received a note from a colleague saying that the free patch I offered under this section (Evert\'s posting) caused her computer to crash. I\'ll have to admit I wrote the instructions in a very summary form, so I\'m explaining step 2 in more detail.

The patch in question will throw out ALL infected files (including system files) with the exception of those which the computer uses to keep running at all times. Microsoft has protected these
... See more
Corollary to the postings on Klez, I received a note from a colleague saying that the free patch I offered under this section (Evert\'s posting) caused her computer to crash. I\'ll have to admit I wrote the instructions in a very summary form, so I\'m explaining step 2 in more detail.

The patch in question will throw out ALL infected files (including system files) with the exception of those which the computer uses to keep running at all times. Microsoft has protected these files, so you can only pray that none of them are wormed (although there are also solutions for that which don\'t imply re-installing your system and all the programs). This is why it is necessary, despite blue-screen errors, to go back to \"Accessories - System Tools\" and fish out \"System Information\". In the tool bar of the System Info menu, you will find an option to \"verify system files\", which will ask for your original Windows CD if it finds a file that is missing or damaged. This will enable you to restore all those indispensable files that Klez wrote over and or which the patch threw out. This same tool also gives you access to the Scandisk command, which you can run afterwards.

The destruction of compressed files (dll and the like) may oblige you to re-install the OS. However, the corresponding compressed file from another computer having the same OS may be copied through DOS to overwrite the damaged compressed file. (I have been able to do this by disguising the clean compressed file from the other computer with another extension - xls, txt, etc., and subsequently renaming it through DOS to overwrite the wormed file). This should solve any blue-screen errors the next time you boot and shutdown.

PS - Never keep the klez virus too long without doing something about it because the damage will be progressive.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repairing Damaged System Files (Coping w/ Klez part II)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »