Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 13, 2013

Hello everyone

Today I got an e-mail from Fluency with the headline "Current #1 Rated Translation Software on ProZ". I could not figure out what they might mean by it, so I activated remote content, and then I saw... in the list of rated translation tools, Fluency is listed first. That doesn't mean it is rated as #1, since the tools are not listed by rating. How do you feel about this claim, though? It is not honest, but advertising often isn't.

Samuel

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ho ho ho May 13, 2013

Almost as funny as that weird video that Atril made about Déjà Vu vs 'the orange witch' (Kilgray) a while back.

Yeah, it's just advertising. And since when has that been honest?

I would advise anyone who is considering buying Fluency to have a look at Valery's interesting recent post on the topic of 'Fluency functionality':

I will be putting in this topic my questions, notes, and comments regarding Fluency functionality and behavior and will be much thankful to Fluency support for their comments. (...)

http://www.proz.com/forum/fluency_support/248729-fluency_functionality.html

Michael

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
What's in the name? May 13, 2013

It's a bit strange, but it's often possible to guess the quality of a software package just by its name: the more colourful is the name, the less you can expect from the software itself. A bit like wine labels: among several similarly priced bottles, the best one is usually the one with the most modestly designed label.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Always safest to believe the opposite May 13, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
How do you feel about this claim, though? It is not honest, but advertising often isn't.

Advertising isn't supposed to deliberately mislead the punter. OK, they can be "economical with the truth", but "#1 rated" means what it says and if they are just first in a list then they are deliberately misleading us. I doubt that it's illegal, but it would certainly put me off buying the product. If you start out knowing you can't trust what they say, what can you expect of the product and its support?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, they are top rated, I see now May 13, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:
"#1 rated" means what it says and if they are just first in a list then they are deliberately misleading us.

I've checked the page that they took a screenshot from, and Fluency isn't at the top in the default ordering. Fluence is at the top if you sort by overall ratings, but I think that there are too few ratings at this time to be useful. Fluency has 10 "reviews" and all ten of them gave the tool 5/5 overall and 5/5 for ease of learning. Other tools have some 4/5 and 3/5 ratings, which brings down their overall ratings.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
Finnish to French
Too good to be true? May 17, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
Fluency has 10 "reviews" and all ten of them gave the tool 5/5 overall and 5/5 for ease of learning.

I'd say this is very suspicious, almost too good to be true. First of all, the number of "reviews" is surprisingly high, in relation to the Fluency's user base and compared to other tools included in the comparison that are known to have a large user base (eg. Trados, Wordfast, Déjà Vu, memoQ). It's as if the few people who actually use Fluency were strongly persuaded to write a review. Although the comparison page doesn't include the date when the reviews were posted, it seems they all popped up all of a sudden, at the same time.
Samuel Murray wrote:
Other tools have some 4/5 and 3/5 ratings, which brings down their overall ratings.

This would indicate these are true reviews made by users who were not specifically asked to post them.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmm May 17, 2013

Yes, that's what I was thinking too when I read all those 5-star reviews for Fluency.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Current #1 Rated Translation Software on ProZ"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »