Thread poster: Mandy K
Mandy K
Mandy K
Local time: 14:43
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 29, 2013

hello all,

I mainly translate source texts from dead PDF files and JPEG images, sometimes I do Word, to Word documents. What is the best and most suitable CAT tool to use so I can keep a memory that is quick and easy to retrieve for more sufficient work?

If a CAT tool is not my best option, do you know of any tips or tricks I can make use of to make my work faster and easier.

thnx a lot.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:43
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This might help? May 29, 2013

This site gives you an overview of the various tools: http://www.translatorstraining.com/sito/

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excuse my ignorance May 29, 2013

What is a "dead" PDF file?

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
I guess dead = scanned May 29, 2013

neilmac wrote:

I guess that a "dead" PDF file is a scanned one. One that doesn't contain embedded text. These need heavy OCR.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some options May 29, 2013

Mandy K wrote:
I mainly translate source texts from dead PDF files and JPEG images, sometimes I do Word, to Word documents. What is the best and most suitable CAT tool to use so I can keep a memory that is quick and easy to retrieve for more sufficient work?

I know of no CAT tool that will serve memory matches without a source text. If you want to use a CAT, you need source text, and that means you should hire a typist to convert your files.

That said, some CAT tools now have autocomplete functions that autocompletes full segments. You can try to use those features, but you would have to figure out how to tell the CAT tool to use your target text as the source for the autocompletion, and how to use it without having a source text in the first place. Perhaps you can create a set of dummy segments ("asdf" over and over) and "translate" those in the CAT tool, using the autocompleter while you type your real translation.

Another thing you can use is an autocompleter such as LetMeType (freeware). It only suggests three words at a time but it builds its memory while you type.

There are also autocompleters and clipboard managers that allow you to manually save snippets of text that should be offered for autocompletion. If you diligently add all your finished translations to the database of such a program, you could use it as an autocompleter.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
To the topictarter: try OmegaT May 29, 2013

If you work with dead PDFs and JPG files, it doesn't matter which CAT you use, because you'll need to OCR the files first, and this is best done outside a CAT.

To decide if you need a CAT tool at all, I suggest that you try OmegaT. This free and open source tool has made a big progress in the recent years so I don't hesitate to recommend it to novices anymore (though I did before). Sure, its workflow and UI approach may not be for everyone, but the basics are now solid. You'll need
... See more
If you work with dead PDFs and JPG files, it doesn't matter which CAT you use, because you'll need to OCR the files first, and this is best done outside a CAT.

To decide if you need a CAT tool at all, I suggest that you try OmegaT. This free and open source tool has made a big progress in the recent years so I don't hesitate to recommend it to novices anymore (though I did before). Sure, its workflow and UI approach may not be for everyone, but the basics are now solid. You'll need to read the docs carefully — but that's also the case with Trados et al. anyway.
Collapse

Alberto Cury
Alberto Cury  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:43
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
dead pdf file May 29, 2013

neilmac wrote:

It is a file (normally generated when we scan a document) which the internal part has been converted from text to graphics format and in those situatuions there is no converter OCR software capable to change it back to text, so its called dead

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
True OCR can do it May 29, 2013

Alberto Cury wrote:
[A dead PDF file] is a file (normally generated when we scan a document) which the internal part has been converted from text to graphics format, and in those situatuions there is no converter OCR software capable to change it back to text, so its called dead.

True OCR programs will be able to convert it back to text. Converters that don't use OCR technology won't be able to convert it, though.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Software comparison tool May 29, 2013

You can compare features, read professional translator reviews, take free demos and more at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

Of the pure OCR tools http://finereader.abbyy.com/ is o
... See more
You can compare features, read professional translator reviews, take free demos and more at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

Of the pure OCR tools http://finereader.abbyy.com/ is one and https://www.easypdfcloud.com/ is likely rolling out an OCR tool soon.

Good luck

Drew
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
WFC would be a good choice May 29, 2013

When working in Word you don't need to care about formatting tags.
Did you try [email protected] for converting your pdf? It gives outstanding results compared to Finereader, which was considered best OCR-tool.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Confidentiality May 29, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When working in Word you don't need to care about formatting tags.
Did you try [email protected] for converting your pdf? It gives outstanding results compared to Finereader, which was considered best OCR-tool.

This option may not exist if you have confidentiality obligations.

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 21:43
use ABBYY May 30, 2013

Suggestions:
1. Convert scanned PDF to editable Word with ABBYY first,
2. Then clean your word files with TransTools and/or Codezapper,this will reduce lots of tags in your CAT.
3. Translate the files with your favorite CAT.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Don't just trust the OCR May 30, 2013

Heartsome Support wrote:
2. Then clean your word files with TransTools and/or Codezapper, this will reduce lots of tags in your CAT.

You left out what I consider a crucial step for anyone using OCR, namely step #2 "carefully check the OCR'ed version against the original to see if everything was OCR'ed correctly". That step is not optional, in my opinion. OCR is good but a translator doesn't need just "good". The client trusts that your translation will be a translation of the original and not the translation of something that is more or less similar to the original.

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I second that (use of Abbyy for OCR) May 30, 2013

Heartsome Support wrote:

Suggestions:
2. Then clean your word files with TransTools and/or Codezapper,this will reduce lots of tags in your CAT.

I used Abbyy Finereader to OCR pdfs and turn them into editable Word format. I have used Wordfast, Trados and MemoQ in my time and none handle scanned pdfs directly.
My favourite CAT tool of all the ones I've used is MemoQ. I find it intuitive, easy to use and I like the user interface. There is also great web-based training available and the support team is brilliant (I've only used them once but it was on a Sunday night for an urgent project and they'd resolved the problem by a couple of hours later). I don't have shares in Kilgray by the way - I just think the product's great

I would await a TGB from Proz (Translator Group Buy) as you can buy it with a huge discount.

Abbyy is fairly cheap to buy too. I think it was about €70 or so, which I recuperated immediately with a big project in pdf!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advise me on the best CAT Tool

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »