Thread poster: Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:21
English to Arabic
Jun 5, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I have a TTX file and I want to check inconsistency in terminology translation, but I do NOT have a glossary. Could this be done on the file or the TM?

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 12:21
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Can you use the concordance? Jun 5, 2013

Could be laborious, but maybe you can get the concordance to find each occurrence of the source terms one by one and check them that way.

You do not say which CAT you are using, but I would try that with Trados, either Workbench or Studio.

It might not work very well, but it might catch enough to give you an idea.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Yasmin Jun 5, 2013

In case you have Studio, I would suggest using the filter options to select all source segments with a certain term and then check the translations.

Natalia

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Perhaps it would make more sense... Jun 6, 2013

... to create a glossary and then as you go through the translation checking the terms add them to the glossary in your CAT tool so they are available for a more automated check.

I tried to think what the practical workflow for this would be, and I think if you open the TTX for review so you work through the approved status on each segment then the checks will be carried out each time you more through the segments so you would not miss anything.

Alternatively, maybe run
... See more
... to create a glossary and then as you go through the translation checking the terms add them to the glossary in your CAT tool so they are available for a more automated check.

I tried to think what the practical workflow for this would be, and I think if you open the TTX for review so you work through the approved status on each segment then the checks will be carried out each time you more through the segments so you would not miss anything.

Alternatively, maybe run through the source picking out the terms and add them to a spreadsheet first, with their approved translation. Then convert this to a glossary suitable for your CAT (use the Glossary Converter to quickly create this if you use Studio), add it to your CAT and run a QA check against the glossary.

So I know you said without a glossary, but perhaps you could save yourself some time rethinking that approach... just a thought.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Concordance Jun 6, 2013

A quick way to see if there are inconsistencies is concordance / context search. Make sure you get the whole list.
A last way is to convert the TM into a Wordfast .txt file and to search in this one.
If necessary correct in the bilingual file.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try Apsic Xbench Jun 7, 2013

Look for "Internal Inconsistencies".

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Concordance / Internal Terminology Check Jun 15, 2013

Dear Christine,

Many thanks! Concordance Search should help then.

-----------------------

Dear Natalia,

Many thanks! Filtering is an interesting suggestion.

-----------------------

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion. I believe you are right; the translator should add the feedback of the client to a spreadsheet or the like to run such quality check on terminology; it is a cumulative process.

... See more
Dear Christine,

Many thanks! Concordance Search should help then.

-----------------------

Dear Natalia,

Many thanks! Filtering is an interesting suggestion.

-----------------------

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your suggestion. I believe you are right; the translator should add the feedback of the client to a spreadsheet or the like to run such quality check on terminology; it is a cumulative process.

P.S.: I sent you an email seeking your advice some time ago. You would have saved me much hassle if you had replied, but I understand you are so busy.

-----------------------

Dear Nrichy,

Many thanks!

-----------------------

Dear Sergei,

This seems interesting; I have searched, but could not found such option. Is it in v. 2.9 or 3 of Xbench? Could you please elaborate on this feature. Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2013-06-15 11:28 GMT]
Collapse

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Use Error Spy Jun 20, 2013

You can use Error Spy for this.

http://www.dog-gmbh.de/software-produkte/errorspy.html?L=1

H.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Why? Jun 20, 2013

XBench does the same free of charge and Verifika (which is an excellent application) does the same for a much lower price.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology Check without a Glossary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »