Thread poster: Jonathan Norris
Jonathan Norris
Jonathan Norris  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 3, 2013

I have an outsourcer who wants me to work with Trados-based .txt TM files, but since I work in WordFast Pro on a Mac OS I need a reliable TM format converter between .txt and .tmx file formats.

Does anybody that has used the software TMX Assistant know if it goes from .txt -> .tmx?

Alternatively, can somebody please recommend a Mac based software that performs this functionality so I can put this to rest once and for all?

Thanks in advance,
Jonath
... See more
I have an outsourcer who wants me to work with Trados-based .txt TM files, but since I work in WordFast Pro on a Mac OS I need a reliable TM format converter between .txt and .tmx file formats.

Does anybody that has used the software TMX Assistant know if it goes from .txt -> .tmx?

Alternatively, can somebody please recommend a Mac based software that performs this functionality so I can put this to rest once and for all?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan
Collapse

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 01:32
Turn to Windows Jul 4, 2013

It seems like there are no this kind of tools available on Mac. You may have to turn to Windows and convert the TXT to TMX with Xbench or other tools.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
not for mac Jul 4, 2013

I am using Olifant, but it runs on Windows, only (I am using VMware anyway for Trados).
I would be glad if someone found an alternative.

I also think that Swordfish could be of some help in converting TMs, but unfortunately my trial license expired and I am unable to check.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
None Jul 4, 2013

There is no converter for such a task. Trados txt TMs cannot be converted to anything without Trados. Ask your outsourcer for TMX files, otherwise discard this job.

[Edited at 2013-07-04 07:25 GMT]

owhisonant (X)
owhisonant (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:32
German to English
+ ...
SwordFish Jul 4, 2013

You might want to look into Swordfish, 30day full free trial (no affiliation with the company, discovered through Google search). Just ran some quick tests with it. Purpose was to create a term database from existing translation, harder to do than one would think within the SDL product line.

I used Swordfish to convert from SDLXLIFF to regular XLIFF, then to TTX, then processed the TTX in Multiterm Extract. Initial results are encouraging... I have not yet looked into working with
... See more
You might want to look into Swordfish, 30day full free trial (no affiliation with the company, discovered through Google search). Just ran some quick tests with it. Purpose was to create a term database from existing translation, harder to do than one would think within the SDL product line.

I used Swordfish to convert from SDLXLIFF to regular XLIFF, then to TTX, then processed the TTX in Multiterm Extract. Initial results are encouraging... I have not yet looked into working with Trados .txt files, but Swordfish seems to be a nice little toolbox - and it runs on OS X, yaay!
Collapse

Jonathan Norris
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmation of my fears Jul 4, 2013

I had known about Oliphant and XBench, wish I could use them but I won't risk running Parallels or the like with my tiny harddrive.

SwordFish is a new option, I'll look into that and let you know if it helps. Thanks for your suggestions.

On a separate note, I did get a .tmx from the outsourcer, which WordFast rejected saying Fatal Error - invalid tmx character (unicode 0x1). But I don't know enough to modify the file myself. Strike two.

Thus my bewilde
... See more
I had known about Oliphant and XBench, wish I could use them but I won't risk running Parallels or the like with my tiny harddrive.

SwordFish is a new option, I'll look into that and let you know if it helps. Thanks for your suggestions.

On a separate note, I did get a .tmx from the outsourcer, which WordFast rejected saying Fatal Error - invalid tmx character (unicode 0x1). But I don't know enough to modify the file myself. Strike two.

Thus my bewilderment continues why none of these products is made for mac, while other industries seem to be flocking to mac translation is repelled.

[Edited at 2013-07-04 15:17 GMT]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:32
German to Spanish
Have you tried Jul 4, 2013

OmegaT?

It is really good.

Jonathan Norris
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's Omega T Jul 4, 2013

It looks like a CAT tool. Does it convert TMs as well? On Mac?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 00:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TMX is the way to go Jul 5, 2013

Jonathan, I think you should download the TMXValidator. http://www.maxprograms.com/products/tmxvalidator.html
It used to be a freeware from the Swordfish guys, but nowadays I think you can only get it when you download Swordfish. I think you can still use it after the trial date expired.

Run TMXValidator (no instructions necessary), and correct the errors in a text
... See more
Jonathan, I think you should download the TMXValidator. http://www.maxprograms.com/products/tmxvalidator.html
It used to be a freeware from the Swordfish guys, but nowadays I think you can only get it when you download Swordfish. I think you can still use it after the trial date expired.

Run TMXValidator (no instructions necessary), and correct the errors in a text editor (TextWrangler or MacVim recommended, both are freeware).

Yes, OmegaT runs under OS X, and so does CafeTran. OmegaT is free (gratis and libre, CT is a mere € 80. For an overview of CAT tools running under various operating systems: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2184204/CAT%20Tools%20DEC%202010.pdf
(the 2010 Wiki page is far more comprehensive than the current one).

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT Jul 5, 2013

Jonathan Norris wrote:

It looks like a CAT tool. Does it convert TMs as well? On Mac?

Yes, OmegaT is a CAT. No, it does not convert. It uses TMX as its working TM format. And if your TMX is broken, OmegaT will issue an error message and won’t use the file, just like Wordfast Pro.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
English to Spanish
TMXValidator Jul 5, 2013

You can use TMXValidator to remove invalid characters from a faulty TMX file. It has an option for that in "File" menu.

TMXValidator is open source. The source code is freely available in SourceForge repositories. You can find the links here: http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/freetools.html.

Swordfish installers include ready to use executables of TMXValidator.

Just install
... See more
You can use TMXValidator to remove invalid characters from a faulty TMX file. It has an option for that in "File" menu.

TMXValidator is open source. The source code is freely available in SourceForge repositories. You can find the links here: http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/freetools.html.

Swordfish installers include ready to use executables of TMXValidator.

Just install Swordfish and use TMXValidator to clean your TMX file. You don't need to purchase a license to use that program.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting TM files on Mac OS

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »