Is Trados compatible with WordFast?
Thread poster: xiaoyanchen
xiaoyanchen
xiaoyanchen
Local time: 15:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 5, 2013

One client requires Trados, while another requires WordFast. Do I have to invest in both? If I just want to purchase one, which is better?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sort of... Jul 5, 2013

AFAIK, there is a certain degree of compatibility. I use WF and have been told that Trados users can convert my .bak files or TMs into a usable format for Trados, although the process doesn't work the other way round.

I wouldn't take my word for it though; somebody more knowledgeable will no doubt be along soon with a better-informed response to your query.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:06
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What exactly… Jul 5, 2013

xiaoyanchen wrote:

One client requires Trados, while another requires WordFast.

…do they require? Both Trados and Wordfast are nowadays just trade marks that can designate very different programs. So, you should give more details on your client’s requirements to have some reasonable answers.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not sure... Jul 5, 2013

xiaoyanchen wrote:
One client requires Trados, while another requires WordFast. Do I have to invest in both? If I just want to purchase one, which is better?

Well, Trados can do a lot more than Wordfast can do. However, it is also more complicated to use than Wordfast. And... it is slower than Wordfast.

You can translate Wordfast files in Trados, if you know how to configure it, but it will look more complex in Trados than in Wordfast. The most recent edition of Wordfast also claims that you can translate Trados files in it, though I haven't seen a demonstration of it.

You can't create Trados files in Wordfast, and you can't create Wordfast files in Trados. So, if you decide to buy the one program, then the other client will have to send you the files that have already been converted to the tool's own format.

Trados and Wordfast can read each other's TM formats, but that is only useful if the TM matches the source file format's tagging scheme, and... Trados and Wordfast's source file formats tag differently.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:06
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not quite correct Jul 5, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

You can't create Trados files in Wordfast, and you can't create Wordfast files in Trados.

Actually, using Wordfast Classic, you can create so called uncleaned Trados RTF files that can be processed using Trados Workbench.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I assumed Trados 2011 Jul 5, 2013

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
You can't create Trados files in Wordfast, and you can't create Wordfast files in Trados.

Actually, using Wordfast Classic, you can create so called uncleaned Trados RTF files that can be processed using Trados Workbench.

The original poster hasn't bought anything yet, so I assumed Trados 2011... which is all that she will be able to buy. She can't buy Trados Workbench, except maybe from warez sites.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:06
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
No need for buying Trados Workbench(TRADOS 2007) Jul 6, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

The original poster hasn't bought anything yet, so I assumed Trados 2011... which is all that she will be able to buy. She can't buy Trados Workbench, except maybe from warez sites.

There is not need for warez nor for buying. For generating Trados RTF files that can be translated in WFC you just need the demo version of TRADOS 2007. I have it available should somebody need it.

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados compatible with WordFast?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »